Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Does not matter he was ****

Matters a hell of a lot when it comes to a pound for pound discussion! :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Matters a hell of a lot when it comes to a pound for pound discussion! :D

That's fair enough:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jaysus yeah forgot Anderson, he would certainly have a big shout at pound for pound worst too all things considered.

Not at all he had a big say in us winning the champs league took a penalty and all. He just didn't build on his start but he was far from the worst.

Id go with Veron as the worst for his value but on performances on pitch they can be no worse then taibi and William Prunier. Poor William was a poor man's version of a donkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭Hurler85

David Bellion, now there was a bellend

Yes and when we got the equaliser you see the fire start to go out of the players again, it is infuriating to watch!

Ya it is such a killer, it really does make you wonder what our players could do if they were sent out to just gor for it. Liverpool game will be interesting nothing to lose are we balls out. Me I doubt it untill the 60 min or we conceed but dont see the players having the confidence for it to happen if we do go a goal down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Was in pub watching the game and one lad blamed fellani for the free kick going in as he apparently was standing in the wrong place in the wall

Poor fellani

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Sirsok wrote: »
    Was in pub watching the game and one lad blamed fellani for the free kick going in as he apparently was standing in the wrong place in the wall

Poor fellani

I know the guy, he posts here actually under the name Bangkok :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I find myself tuning in just for the comedy of it all at this stage

It's amazing how bad of a job Van Gaal is doing, if there was an award for the worst manager of the year in world football surely he'd win it given the resources he has had whilst turning us into a mid table team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

It's amazing how bad of a job Van Gaal is doing, if there was an award for the worst manager of the year in world football surely he'd win it given the resources he has had whilst turning us into a mid table team.
    Well there was also that guy who took a title winning team and had them hovering around the relegation zone until he got the boot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Well there was also that guy who took a title winning team and had them hovering around the relegation zone until he got the boot...

That doesn't reflect badly on him at all though because something something special one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

bangkok wrote: »
    Interesting stat...

Anderson......

Premier League (4):[69] 2007–08, 2008–09, 2010–11, 2012–13
    Football League Cup (2):[69] 2008–09, 2009–10
    FA Community Shield (2):[69] 2011, 2013
    UEFA Champions League (1): 2007–08[69]
    FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2008[69]

Fellaini.....

Mmmmmmm

So Anderson was part of a successful squad which means he was a better player for us than Fellaini has been, OK.

Herrara has no honours in England.

Neither does Martial.

Is Anderson better than them?

You post such moronic nonsense by times its a wonder you are able to leave your house everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

So Anderson was part of a successful squad which means he was a better player for us than Fellaini has been, OK.

Neither does Martial.

You post such moronic nonsense by times its a wonder you are able to leave your house everyday.

I wouldn't agree with the logic used but Anderson made contributions to title winning sides and as a young player stood up to be counted in Moscow.

For a time he was a very good player and has done more for Manchester United than any of the players you listed.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Fellaini is best at no.10.

Moyes played him at DM and he was horrible. LVG then started playing him this season at defensive midfield. Horrendous.

For all his poor performances he's still done more this season for the team than Memphis.

Moyes played him at DM and he was horrible. LVG then started playing him this season at defensive midfield. Horrendous.

For all his poor performances he's still done more this season for the team than Memphis.

Im not blowing up memphis performances I think he has loads more to give next year hopefully but he has also scored a few goals that helped us qualify for the champions league group stage and he put in a man of the match performance in europa league albeit against a very poor side but this is still a hell of a lot more contribution then Fellaini.

You are right tho his best position is a number 10 but not in a man united side I don't think he would even play well in the current everton side anymore he is suited to a Tony Pulis side or big Sam's Sunderland side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Fellaini's best position is as a centre midfielder. Absolutely no doubt in my mind. Same as Herrera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Neither does Martial.

Anderson was a much better footballer for us than fellaini was.

Anderson was also much better than Herrera was at a young age. People seem to forget how good he was actually. Golden Boy award in 2008

Martial is a class player in his first season at the club so I don't even know why he comes into the argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Should never have sold Büttner, club has fallen apart since he left.

Nope, Buttner was there for the Moyes season.

So although things are still sh!te, they have improved since Buttner left.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Im not blowing up memphis performances I think he has loads more to give next year hopefully but he has also scored a few goals that helped us qualify for the champions league group stage and he put in a man of the match performance in europa league albeit against a very poor side but this is still a hell of a lot more contribution then Fellaini.

You are right tho his best position is a number 10 but not in a man united side I don't think he would even play well in the current everton side anymore he is suited to a Tony Pulis side or big Sam's Sunderland side.

Fellaini got the 3rd goal which was seen as very important at the time in the first Brugge game.

Also made the goal for the winner v Liverpool.

Always been a good defensive outlet for us.

If Fellaini wasn't lanky, clumsy and didn't have an afro but instead wore the famed no.7, had stylish tattoos and sideburns and had banged some goals past some amateur keepers in the dutch league the year before we'd all be lambasting Memphis instead of Fellaini. At least we all know Fellaini is suited to a direct team who cross a lot, something we shouldn't be doing....who has also not played in a position that suits him this year.

Memphis on the other hand has been played on his favoured LW all season and has been terrible against any team of worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Nope, Buttner was there for the Moyes season.

So although things are still sh!te, they have improved since Buttner left.

Büt that's when things started to go sour, Moyes wouldn't play him. Coincidence? I think not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If Fellaini wasn't...

If Felliani had a good manager who played him to his strengths in a functioning football team people wouldn't be on his case so much.

great photo from yesterdays game

CdcjbstUYAIV4As.jpg

Büt that's when things started to go sour, Moyes wouldn't play him. Coincidence? I think not.

We'll never know!

Around that time Ferguson retired, and Buttner wasn't picked much.

Which one caused the decline (or maybe a bit of both), we'll simply never know.

If Felliani had a good manager who played him to his strengths in a functioning football team people wouldn't be on his case so much.

They could give him a coaching role, he could teach the other players how to chest a ball.

He really is magnificant at that.

CdcjbstUYAIV4As.jpg

Its so bad now even bangkok is trying to change the subject front Fellaini bashing :)

It really is hard to fathom these conversations.

We have had some poor players at the club, players who really weren't up to our standards, players like Bellion, Djemba-Djemba, Miller, Prunier, Gibson, Cleverley, Bebe. Those were players who undeniably were not good enough for Manchester United, no question about it.

And then we have Felliani, a guy who has displayed his talents at both PL and international level, a guy with certain traits and a skillset that could be very useful to any properly managed football team, but instead of recognising that, we make him the scapegoat for all the bull**** happening elsewhere in the club. Instead of recognising that he came to the club just as it entered the worst run in a generation and that it affected his development just as it affected the development of 2 dozen other players, instead we call him the worst player ever and blame him for everything.

I'd love to take all these players from the last 3 years, all the players ****ed about by Moyes and Van Gaal, players like Nani, Van Persie, Kagawa, Rafael, Felliani, Januzaj, Rooney, all these players who have underperformed for so long and give them to a good manager, I'd love to see what they could do if managed properly. I suspect we would see a very different team, that we would be talking about the likes of Felliani very differently if he was being used properly in a functioning style of play.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Unfortunately getting the most out of Fella would lead us to play a style of football that isn't great.

Not Fellainis fault though and he never shys away. Loved his foul yesterday after Noble should have got a yellow. Atkinson was shocking.

I suspect we would see a very different team, that we would be talking about the likes of Felliani very differently if he was being used properly in a functioning style of play.

He was instrumental to getting 4th last season. Without Fellaini we would be going for 3 years without CL in a row.

He's a cult hero for me.

CdcjbstUYAIV4As.jpg

Someone buy Fergie a tie clip for his next birthday!:p

He was instrumental to getting 4th last season. Without Fellaini we would be going for 3 years without CL in a row.

He's a cult hero for me.

futurama-fry-should-i-lol-or-roflmao.jpg

It really is hard to fathom these conversations.

We have had some poor players at the club, players who really weren't up to our standards, players like Bellion, Djemba-Djemba, Miller, Prunier, Gibson, Cleverley, Bebe. Those were players who undeniably were not good enough for Manchester United, no question about it.

And then we have Felliani, a guy who has displayed his talents at both PL and international level, a guy with certain traits and a skillset that could be very useful to any properly managed football team, but instead of recognising that, we make him the scapegoat for all the bull**** happening elsewhere in the club. Instead of recognising that he came to the club just as it entered the worst run in a generation and that it affected his development just as it affected the development of 2 dozen other players, instead we call him the worst player ever and blame him for everything.

I'd love to take all these players from the last 3 years, all the players ****ed about by Moyes and Van Gaal, players like Nani, Van Persie, Kagawa, Rafael, Felliani, Januzaj, Rooney, all these players who have underperformed for so long and give them to a good manager, I'd love to see what they could do if managed properly. I suspect we would see a very different team, that we would be talking about the likes of Felliani very differently if he was being used properly in a functioning style of play.

I thought you were talking about Jonathan Walters there for a minute :p

• Advertisement

Exactly. Unfortunately getting the most out of Fella would lead us to play a style of football that isn't great.

Not necessarily, and leaving aside the fact that our football couldn't get much worse anyway...

Felliani does not have to mean long ball, he is not Andy Carroll. He can help in that regard if needed but he does have a lot more to offer than a route one outlet. He did well for two or three games last season playing on the left of a narrow midfield, and I think had Fergie still been there we would have seen him excell in a midfield three, playing the all action role the likes of Fletcher or Park were given.

Personally, I also do think that Felliani has the attributes to play box to box, he said himself he preferred central midfield, he plays there for his country and does well, and if he had been developed properly after he joined the club I could easily see him as having grown into the role. We'll never know, because instead of joining a proper club he joined the Moyes and Van Gaal show, a show which has been horrible for every player at the club.

In the end though, we have an energetic and physical player with a good level of technical ability and some unique skillsets, this is not some scrub with two left feet. Instead of complaining about him being the worst player ever perhaps we should be more concerned about why we have yet another good footballer underperforming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

LVG then started playing him this season at defensive midfield. Horrendous.

You've been reading too much of OptaJoe's twitter feed. Influenced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

CdcjbstUYAIV4As.jpg

Best view in the house...probably

Our season in a nutshell

sAjrdCL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Yeah!! Let us rejoice-Woodward has helped the club seal a 3 year deal with Gulf Oil in Asia.
    Fuck the fact we play shit on a stick football so long as the sponsorship money rolls in.

http://www.reuters.com/article/soccer-manu-deals-idUSL3N16M3AY?rpc=401

zerks wrote: »
    Yeah!! Let us rejoice-Woodward has helped the club seal a 3 year deal with Gulf Oil in Asia.
    Fuck the fact we play shit on a stick football so long as the sponsorship money rolls in.

http://www.reuters.com/article/soccer-manu-deals-idUSL3N16M3AY?rpc=401

Woodward was quoted as saying: "It was either push this deal through or do something about the manager. The hierarchy at the club couldn't deal with both at the same time, so we elected to put the football side of things on the back-burner. We stand by our decision."

Woodward was quoted as saying: "It was either push this deal through or do something about the manager.

You can be as facetious as you wish, but the simple fact is that the board haven't done anything about the manager, and as such deserve every ounce of criticism they get.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You can be as facetious as you wish, but the simple fact is that the board haven't done anything about the manager, and as such deserve every ounce of criticism they get.

Listen, I'd agree that Woody and the board deserve so, so much criticism for their handling of the manager situation, at least on a public level.

At the same time, I always find it very petty that people will take the aspect of Woody's job that he is doing a genuinely world class job at, and use THAT as a major source of criticism. Bash away at his dithering when it comes to managerial changes. But the job he's doing commercially is top class, and using it as a stick to beat him with just seems so stupid to me...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Not that we will, but...

It won't just be fans of Liverpool and Manchester United who will have a keen interest in Thursday's Europa League return between the sides at Old Trafford.

For if United get through it will give the FA a real headache in arranging the Old Trafford club's FA Cup sixth round replay with West Ham.

There is a problem already as the first two free midweek dates are ruled out due to the international break. The next two are reserved for Uefa competition.

There is a financial penalty if domestic matches are arranged during this time but with the week before the semi-finals on 23 and 24 April too close logistically, some kind of European clash looks inevitable even without the major added complication of Louis van Gaal's side still being involved in the Europa League.

via the BBC

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Not that we will, but...

It won't just be fans of Liverpool and Manchester United who will have a keen interest in Thursday's Europa League return between the sides at Old Trafford.

For if United get through it will give the FA a real headache in arranging the Old Trafford club's FA Cup sixth round replay with West Ham.

There is a problem already as the first two free midweek dates are ruled out due to the international break. The next two are reserved for Uefa competition.

There is a financial penalty if domestic matches are arranged during this time but with the week before the semi-finals on 23 and 24 April too close logistically, some kind of European clash looks inevitable even without the major added complication of Louis van Gaal's side still being involved in the Europa League.

via the BBC

I dont think the financial penalty will bother them they scheduled arsenals game last Tuesday night on champions league night.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Listen, I'd agree that Woody and the board deserve so, so much criticism for their handling of the manager situation, at least on a public level.

At the same time, I always find it very petty that people will take the aspect of Woody's job that he is doing a genuinely world class job at, and use THAT as a major source of criticism. Bash away at his dithering when it comes to managerial changes. But the job he's doing commercially is top class, and using it as a stick to beat him with just seems so stupid to me...

Rationally speaking you may indeed be correct.

But its a simple fact of life, if you are failing at a vital part of your job then successes in other areas will be diminished by association, especially when those other areas are deemed to be less important than the role you are failing at.

Say Lewis Hamilton released a critically acclaimed rap album, but then started crashing in every second race. The two things might have no connection whatsoever but its naive to think people won't start saying that perhaps he should stop ****ing about with music and concentrate on his driving.

So Ed Woodward is great at commercial deals? Good for you Ed, have a pat on the back. Problem is you are the CEO of a football club and the football side of things is a ****ing disgrace, so as a fan your commercial success gives me no comfort whatsoever. If you are good at commercial deals but bad at running a football club then you are a crap CEO for a football club.

That's the point though; they don't deserve every ounce of criticism they get. You can be deserving of criticism, yet still be criticised incorrectly.

Failing to act to fix the ailing football is worthy of criticism. Doing an excellent job of securing commercial deals is not.

It's akin to criticising Wayne Rooney for missing a penalty, then inexplicably criticising him for scoring from a free kick later on. "If he wasn't so worried about his free kicks he'd have scored that penalty".

It's akin to criticising Wayne Rooney for missing a penalty, then inexplicably criticising him for scoring from a free kick later on.

No, its like Wayne Rooney proudly displaying his "most tackles in a season" award when he hasn't scored in a year. Yeah, nice trophy Wayne, but you are on the field to score goals so what the **** are you at?

No, its like Wayne Rooney proudly displaying his "most tackles in a season" award when he hasn't scored in a year. Yeah, nice trophy Wayne, but you are on the field to score goals so what the **** are you at?

I think we've already established that you and I see the world very differently. I'll continue to be facetious about things I think are silly, and you'll continue to be angry about things that you think are silly. We'll probably never agree, and that's okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Rationally speaking you may indeed be correct.

But its a simple fact of life, if you are failing at a vital part of your job then successes in other areas will be diminished by association, especially when those other areas are deemed to be less important than the role you are failing at.

Say Lewis Hamilton released a critically acclaimed rap album, but then started crashing in every second race. The two things might have no connection whatsoever but its naive to think people won't start saying that perhaps he should stop ****ing about with music and concentrate on his driving.

So Ed Woodward is great at commercial deals? Good for you Ed, have a pat on the back. Problem is you are the CEO of a football club and the football side of things is a ****ing disgrace, so as a fan your commercial success gives me no comfort whatsoever. If you are good at commercial deals but bad at running a football club then you are a crap CEO for a football club.

On the footballing side of things - what is Ed Woodward supposed to do at this moment in time?

- Publicly criticise LVG, undermine him and compromise the respect the players have for him as well as the integrity of the club.

- Sack LVG and install an interim manager? Not sure if anything would be achieved by the end of the season. Our reputation for sacking managers mid-season would commence (We're not Liverpool).

- Announce that a new manager has been signed for next season. Again undermining LVG and compromising the job he has for the rest of the season.

I take it theres an option Im missing?

I think Ed is doing just fine securing funds for sadly yet another squad overhaul in the summer.

I think we've already established that you and I see the world very differently. I'll continue to be facetious about things I think are silly, and you'll continue to be angry about things that you think are silly. We'll probably never agree, and that's okay.

Angry? I write a clear and simple post and thats your response?

On the footballing side of things - what is Ed Woodward supposed to do at this moment in time?

He should have sacked Louis Van Gaal six months ago at the latest, and I don't believe there is a top club or CEO in the world that wouldn't have made that decision long ago.

• Advertisement

Angry? I write a clear and simple post and thats your response?

No offense intended. Just don't want to get involved in a long back and forth where we both find ten different ways to express ourselves and still disagree by the exact same degree in the end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement