Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Headshot wrote: »
    Pisses me off to see a Leicester top of the table. Past utd would of steam roll this league and destroy Leicester

They fully deserve it tbh. They play a very attractive style of football and know how to get results from teams up and down the table. Something the regular top teams this season have been lacking.

Can't wait to see them in Europe next season. I hope we'll be there with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Fair play to Leicester they fully deserve to be at the Top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I hated them under Pearson but I'd absolutely love them to go on and do it this season. Would be one of the greatest sporting triumphs in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Fair play to Leicester they fully deserve to be at the Top

Delighted for them. Hopefully they dont let it slip now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Delighted for them. Hopefully they dont let it slip now.

They're not Liverpool.

Jayop wrote: »
    They're not Liverpool.

thatsthejoke.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

bangkok wrote: »
    Delighted for Leicester and ranieri. Really hope they do it

I remember when you were told that THEY WOULD NOT GET TOP 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Hard to believe LVG sold 25 league goals in Di Maria and RVP and replaced them with Memphis & Martial.

You pick out the 20 year old kid in his first season in a new country, playing in an dysfunctional attack, who has been our only good attacking player this year?

Memphis clearly has talent, but will need time. He's 21, playing outside his home country for the first season.

I'm perfectly happy for the club to sign really outstanding young players. Helping them to fulfill their talent will be important if we're to get back to challenging for trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Only 8 games left now, Leicester really might do this. Go on to f*ck!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

v3ttel wrote: »
    You pick out the 20 year old kid in his first season in a new country, playing in an dysfunctional attack, who has been our only good attacking player this year?

Memphis clearly has talent, but will need time. He's 21, playing outside his home country for the first season.

I'm perfectly happy for the club to sign really outstanding young players. Helping them to fulfill their talent will be important if we're to get back to challenging for trophies.

Exactly. Memphis and Martial replaced 25 goals. How on earth did LVG ever think they were going to replace ADM and RVP?

Also I don't see this talent of Memphis you see.

Exactly. Memphis and Martial replaced 25 goals. How on earth did LVG ever think they were going to replace ADM and RVP?

Also I don't see this talent of Memphis you see.

ADM & RVP had 12 or 13 league goals between them last season, Martial & Depay (who has been pretty much woeful all year) have 9 or 10 with 8 games left.....

ADM & RVP had 12 or 13 league goals between them last season, Martial & Depay (who has been pretty much woeful all year) have 9 or 10 with 8 games left.....

Assists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Only 8 games left now, Leicester really might do this. Go on to f*ck!

I really hope they an hold on and do it, Fergie has said he believes they will, and with games to spare :) Would be an absolutely incredible achievement and fully deserved.

If Spurs can nick it you would be hard pushed to say they wouldn't deserve it either, for obvious reasons though I think most people are rooting for Leicester at this point!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Assists?

I love how you are clinging to this :D Its fantastic!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Assists?

Yep, ADM had more assists than Memphis & Martial combined.

You are forgetting the fact ADM pretty much downed tools and forced through a move and that he never wanted to join the club in the first place.

RVP was clearly past his best, the injuries were catching up with him and he was only a bit part in LVG's plans, it makes no sense whatsoever to pay someone £250k a week and not have them playing every game.

• Advertisement

I love how you are clinging to this :D Its fantastic!

Not outrageous to say a player who assisted 10 goals had as much influence as the player who scored 10 goals.

We've scored less goals than Bournemouth FFS.

Yep, ADM had more assists than Memphis & Martial combined.

You are forgetting the fact ADM pretty much downed tools and forced through a move and that he never wanted to join the club in the first place.

RVP was clearly past his best, the injuries were catching up with him and he was only a bit part in LVG's plans, it makes no sense whatsoever to pay someone £250k a week and not have them playing every game.

Never said he didn't. I'm talking about the fact LVG replaced those 25 goals with Memphis (unproven 21 year old) and Martial (no one would have expected him to be this good, a 19 year old). If only LVG even tried to sign Sanchez and De Bruyne we would be set for a few years.

Where were the goals ever going to come from?

Not outrageous to say a player who assisted 10 goals had as much influence as the player who scored 10 goals.

We've scored less goals than Bournemouth FFS.

Why stop at just him though? Why not look at the guy who played him in to the position to make that telling pass that led to a goal? Why not talk about the players who laid on excellent opportunities only to see them spurned by their teammates. Di Maria had some flukey assists as it was but as I said previously about him, even when he is ****e he creates something a lot of the time. That is what you get with top class players at their peak.

Martial and Memphis have 9 goals and 3 assists between them in the league, and considering the little Memphis actually played and how **** we have been in general all year and that we still have a few games to go I don't see it as that significant.

They have 3 goals less between them and plenty of time to go past them. Even if they don't Di Maria lost his place in the team to Ashley Young who had more of a say in us getting top 4 then Di Maria.

Never said he didn't. I'm talking about the fact LVG replaced those 25 goals with Memphis (unproven 21 year old) and Martial (no one would have expected him to be this good, a 19 year old). If only LVG even tried to sign Sanchez and De Bruyne we would be set for a few years.

Where were the goals ever going to come from?

Its been proven that we were left light up front but as the saying goes, hindsight is 20:20.

If Memphis had continued even half the form he had in his final season with PSV then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It didnt work out but that does happen in football.

The goals were very, very obviously supposed to come from Rooney, Mata, Memphis, Martial, Fellaini, Herrera etc

Memphis banged them in for fun the previous season, everybody wanted him signed. You also had a summer long thing about how Rooney was going to get a **** load of goals because he would be played in his natural position, just because something doesn't work out doesn't mean there was no plan.

Van Gaal placed his faith in the wrong areas, the wrong approach and the wrong players obviously, and he has failed to correct his mistakes also. This is why he deserves to be sacked. It is easy to second guess decisions with hindsight, but as the saying goes, you pays your money you takes your chance.

Di Maria staying was not an option, Van Persie was in decline and not happy to be a rotational/back up player, no use pining over them tbh.

Replacing them with two of the hottest young properties in European football is not something I can get behind calling a dumb thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Its been proven that we were left light up front but as the saying goes, hindsight is 20:20.
    It is easy to second guess decisions with hindsight, but as the saying goes, you pays your money you takes your chance.

Oh come on. No point getting into a debate about the likes of Di Maria, but you can't claim hindsight with regards to our attacking woes, there were far too many posters predicting problems in that area to get away with that one.

Oh come on. No point getting into a debate about the likes of Di Maria, but you can't claim hindsight with regards to our attacking woes, there were far too many posters predicting problems in that area to get away with that one.

Why did you quote me? Well, why did you quote one line of my post to make it appear that I am saying something I did not say?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Whoever is the manager next season, hopefully they wont dump the kids who did well when given chances.

Players like Rashford, Varela, CBJ, Fosu Mensah have all done well when given chances and there are talented players like Januzaj, Pereira who are very good talents.

Signing Jose might backfire but looks like we are left with no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

If Memphis had continued even half the form he had in his final season with PSV then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

It didnt work out but that does happen in football.

Except in this case it was obvious and no hindsight was needed, it was pointed out multiple times from the average Joe to the media.

Why did you quote me? Well, why did you quote one line of my post to make it appear that I am saying something I did not say?

You did say it, its right there, both in your post and in my quote.

I was never excited when Memphis joined.

I watched him at the world cup and didn't see anything special. He scored 8 free kicks in the eredivisie last season. All you have to do is look at them goals and see the disgusting level of goalkeeping there.

Like look at this. 35 yards out and the gk gets beaten on the side he is covering...and it's not even in the corner.

It's no surprise when he makes bits of a danish minnow considering that is the level he scored these goals at. He has not made any impression against any team in the league.

It tells you something when Newcastles WIjnaldum got player of the year last year.

Memphis is 22, not 18. Not to do anything in the league is worrying. Gerard Deolefeu has done more and looked more like a future star than Memphis.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

I don't think we have had a particular issue with numbers, it is good that young players are coming in getting their chance as 3rd or 4th choice options in my opinion. I also like Daley Blind at CB as if he wasn't there the ball would never make it forward!!

We maybe could have done with another striker given Rooneys in and out form, but he was never going to be dropped anyway as he is the 'keptain'.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Whoever is the manager next season, hopefully they wont dump the kids who did well when given chances.

Players like Rashford, Varela, CBJ, Fosu Mensah have all done well when given chances and there are talented players like Januzaj, Pereira who are very good talents.

The problem is that we won't win titles or Champions league with those players, so I'm not sure I want our manager to be basing his team around them.

There is always the meme of "You don't win anything with kids" and yes, sometimes a great batch of kids will be very successful. But there is also the idea that "everybody think their wifekids are the prettiest", and to be honest I think this is one of those cases. I think we have good prospects there but they are not going to bring us to the next level. The likes of Rashford, CBJ, Lingard, Varela, they will be good players but will they be great players?

We are not a feeder club or a youth academy, our priority is not actually developing youngsters. Our priority is winning trophies, and while developing our own players is important it should also be placed in perspective. You just have to look at our current league position to see what happens when you try to be a nursery club, and if the next manager decides to rely on the youth we will remain right where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

The problem is that we won't win titles or Champions league with those players, so I'm not sure I want our manager to be basing his team around them.

There is always the meme of "You don't win anything with kids" and yes, sometimes a great batch of kids will be very successful. But there is also the idea that "everybody think their wifekids are the prettiest", and to be honest I think this is one of those cases. I think we have good prospects there but they are not going to bring us to the next level. The likes of Rashford, CBJ, Lingard, Varela, they will be good players but will they be great players?

We are not a feeder club or a youth academy, our priority is not actually developing youngsters. Our priority is winning trophies, and while developing our own players is important it should also be placed in perspective. You just have to look at our current league position to see what happens when you try to be a nursery club, and if the next manager decides to rely on the youth we will remain right where we are.
    l

Apart from Lingard, all of the players you mentioned are 3rd or 4th choice when everyone is fit. What type of player would you prefer in this squad position if not a young player?

We will never find out if they can be great players if they don't get a chance, one or two at a time is very good and gives great freshness to a team, older players always speak of the motivation they get from seeing young guys come in. Injuries have meant we've put out teams with maybe a couple of more than that a few times but it hasn't been all that often.

ericzeking wrote: »
    l

Apart from Lingard, all of the players you mentioned are 3rd or 4th choice when everyone is fit. What type of player would you prefer in this squad position if not a young player?

We will never find out if they can be great players if they don't get a chance, one or two at a time is very good and gives great freshness to a team, older players always speak of the motivation they get from seeing young guys come in. Injuries have meant we've put out teams with maybe a couple of more than that a few times but it hasn't been all that often.

I don't think you can blame injuries, Van Gaal gutted that squad and it has been claimed plenty of times on here that he always intended to have these kids as his squad options. Is it injuries that sees Rashford starting the last 3/4 games? Because that only took one injury, or two at most if you include the previously on loan Will Keane.

I don't particularly want to get into a debate over Rafael, Chico, Evans, Fletcher etc etc, but our squad issues and our use of all these kids has to be a factor in our current league position and my point is simply that I would prefer it not to be the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Giggsy11 wrote: »

I'd worry, under LVG, the likes of Rashford, Varela and CBL will go the way of Blackett, Wilson and McNair. For all people use the "He's given youth a chance" line, that chance (at least this season) has been one born from necessity rather than choice, and usually the players disappear completely after a while.

LVG has given a number of youths their debuts, but hasn't really developed any of them to any meaningful degree. And Januzaj and Pereira couldn't be as worse off as their are right now. For their careers, at least if they got sold off, they might be starting first team games somewhere :/

Wilson, Pereira, Adnan. 3 players spoken highly of having bright futures before LVG. All 3 have not developed much. People went on about LVG giving debuts to Alaba and Muller and all these great players but is it any surprise now considering he gives debuts to everybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Wilson, Pereira, Adnan. 3 players spoken highly of having bright futures before LVG. All 3 have not developed much. People went on about LVG giving debuts to Alaba and Muller and all these great players but is it any surprise now considering he gives debuts to everybody?

Wilson and Januzaj have done nothing when given a chance under Van Gaal. Does anybody get excited now when they see Adnan warming up? Does anybody think that he is the player to turn a game when needed? He's just not very good and that seems to be the opinion of the manage because it's not like he couldn't do with a good right sided winger. It says a lot that Lingard is ahead of him.

I'd have to say the same about Wilson, looks a player at a lower level but all a bit meh when he gets in the first team. Pereira is the one that really hasn't got enough game time for me but then I'm not privy to the reason why, I hear talk of a bad attitude recently but that could be bs for all we know.

Wilson and Januzaj have done nothing when given a chance under Van Gaal. Does anybody get excited now when they see Adnan warming up? Does anybody think that he is the player to turn a game when needed? He's just not very good and that seems to be the opinion of the manage because it's not like he couldn't do with a good right sided winger. It says a lot that Lingard is ahead of him.

I'd have to say the same about Wilson, looks a player at a lower level but all a bit meh when he gets in the first team. Pereira is the one that really hasn't got enough game time for me but then I'm not privy to the reason why, I hear talk of a bad attitude recently but that could be bs for all we know.

Why do people think that Adnan is a RW?

People automatically assume because he's a winger he can play on the left or right. What has made people think he is a right winger?

Give him an extended run on the left wing.

I fail to see what chance LVG has given him. He played him last season on the RW when our tough run of matches came v City away and then Chelsea at home. It was a huge shock he didn't set the world alight v these teams yet was dropped never to return soon after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Bryan Robson has had his say on our transfer policy saying it was crazy for us to sell Hernandez, Fletcher and Evans. Agree with him 100%

Wilson and Januzaj have done nothing when given a chance under Van Gaal. Does anybody get excited now when they see Adnan warming up?

Given a chance? 225 minutes of league action between the pair of them this season, we don't get to see Adnan warming up at all.

Bryan Robson has had his say on our transfer policy saying it was crazy for us to sell Hernandez, Fletcher and Evans. Agree with him 100%

Stick Evans beside Smalling and we'd be fine. Could have saved 16m on Rojo and kept an experienced league winner in the squad.

Hernandez - I agree. How you go from Rooney, RVP, Falcao, Wilson to Rooney and Martial is mad. Considering Gary Neville was creaming himself over Rooneys game v City last year where he barely touched the ball and stayed close to goal and LVGs tactic of not missing any chances, a fox in the box like Hernandez was ideal.

Why do people think that Adnan is a RW?

People automatically assume because he's a winger he can play on the left or right. What has made people think he is a right winger?

Give him an extended run on the left wing.

I fail to see what chance LVG has given him. He played him last season on the RW when our tough run of matches came v City away and then Chelsea at home. It was a huge shock he didn't set the world alight v these teams yet was dropped never to return soon after.

We badly need somebody who can play well on the right, he hasn't been able to claim that position ahead of Lingard. He has had Martial and Depay to contend with on the left this season.

Given a chance? 225 minutes of league action between the pair of them this season, we don't get to see Adnan warming up at all.

I'm sorry, I thought they were at the club more than 1 season.

• Advertisement

We badly need somebody who can play well on the right, he hasn't been able to claim that position ahead of Lingard. He has had Martial and Depay to contend with on the left this season.

Why not put Memphis on the right?

Wilson, Pereira, Adnan. 3 players spoken highly of having bright futures before LVG. All 3 have not developed much.

In any badly managed team there will be players who are unhappy at how the manager does things and will find it harder to hide their displeasure. I know professional players need to be professional at all times but we are talking simple human nature here, if you are unhappy that will eventually come across in various ways.

My guess is that the likes of Januzaj and Wilson were some of those who don't particularly like or respect Van Gaal but were not able to hide their dislike. And because of that he doesn't like them either and they get marginalised. So while the likes of Rashford get promoted past them, Januzaj and Periera sit and rot, nothing to do with ability, everything to do with politics.

Do Rashford or Lingard have more potential than Januzaj? Not in my opinion, but potential counts for nothing if you don't have a manager that will develop it.

All just my opinion of course so don't bother asking for evidence.

I'm sorry, I thought they were at the club more than 1 season.

No need to apologise, it doesn't mean much to me anyway.

No need to apologise, it doesn't mean much to me anyway.

14/15 season.

James Wilson - 17 appearances
    Adnan Januzaj - 22 appearances

I'm not sure how many minutes are in there but add them to your 225 and I'm sure it would give a more acceptable time to make a call no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

I don't see any evidence that Van Gaal has developed any young players at Utd. He's handing out debuts like confetti but I haven't seen anyone progress under him. He may have an eye for young talent but his methods seem to have a negative effect these days and players get visibly worse when he's had them for a few weeks.

Imagine the class of '92 coming through now and being instructed to pass the ball over and back in front of the opposition all day. Scholesy would get a roasting for shooting without taking a touch first and Beckham too for early crosses into the box without waiting for the defence to set itself.

LVG is bad influence on the entire set-up in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So United/West Ham will play Everton at Wembley.
    Crystal Palace and Watford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

One Portugese media outlet is so confident Jose is taking over from LVG they say he is sorting out paperwork for a new home in Manchester:

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/from-portugal-mourinho-appointed-as-successor-of-lvg-at-man-unite

Pep is worried:

https://twitter.com/TheSunFootball/status/709640283353456640

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I really feel even though he was poor at times, Evans leaving was a massive mistake.

We should rid of Rojo ASAP. We miss Shaw badly.

We badly need a decent cb that actually is a cb.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I really feel even though he was poor at times, Evans leaving was a massive mistake.

We should rid of Rojo ASAP.

We badly need a decent cb that actually is a cb.

Spot on,need to get a experienced CB that will lead the back the back line,

The days of playing Blind at CB has to stop soon,he was doing ok for a bit but in the last few weeks he has been very shaky

Id keep him though as a CM option,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

It was probably spoken about over the weekend here but I was away but the Fergie story saying we won't get 4th is very damaging I feel. I'm sure most of the team are still hopeful they can put a run together and snatch it from City and to hear Fergie say they won't get it and that West Ham will finish above them must be very disappointing to hear and truly signals the end of LVG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

It was probably spoken about over the weekend here but I was away but the Fergie story saying we won't get 4th is very damaging I feel. I'm sure most of the team are still hopeful they can put a run together and snatch it from City and to hear Fergie say they won't get it and that West Ham will finish above them must be very disappointing to hear and truly signals the end of LVG

when did he say that?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement