Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

PSV taking Atletico to pens

Gas watching Simeone running on after to celebrate with his players

The players would go through a wall for him id say,

Hopefully he ends up in EPL at some stage,could do with his passion on the sideline for Utd,be no sitting there writing stuff down when the team aren't performing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

At least PSV showed their strength against Atletico. I think most of us had underestimated PSV when we played them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

how bad was the Otamendi injury? Had a quick check on FPL and he's doubtful but not out (not that FPL is a good measure or source). I know he''s not an amazing CB but City's replacements aren't up to much imho.

So will it be Mangala and Demichelis as CBs if the other two are out, or will a FB or youngster slot in there?

Might give Rashford and\or Martial a boost knowing those two are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Nalz wrote: »
    how bad was the Otamendi injury? Had a quick check on FPL and he's doubtful but not out (not that FPL is a good measure or source). I know he''s not an amazing CB but City's replacements aren't up to much imho.

So will it be Mangala and Demichelis as CBs if the other two are out, or will a FB or youngster slot in there?

Might give Rashford and\or Martial a boost knowing those two are out.

I didn't see the game, I know Otamendi went off but I wonder if Pellegrini was just taking him off as a precaution after Kompany went off injured (they were already winning their CL tie on agg).

Maybe someone else will know better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Two big crunch games coming up now. Liverpool and City back to back, both are must wins but its a big ask to win both. Especially City away with only two days rest and Liverpool had Sunday off so they will be fresher.

City is a must win, It would put us a point behind them and keep the fight for fourth going. Their two CBs missing is a boost but it wont help any if we play a rigid style with the players miles away from each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Kompany gone for City gives us a huge chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

I didn't see the game, I know Otamendi went off but I wonder if Pellegrini was just taking him off as a precaution after Kompany went off injured (they were already winning their CL tie on agg).

Maybe someone else will know better.

It was only a knock, he should be ok for Sunday.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Kompany gone for City gives us a huge chance.

Can't see us winning. We're ****e away from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Two big crunch games coming up now. Liverpool and City back to back, both are must wins but its a big ask to win both. Especially City away with only two days rest and Liverpool had Sunday off so they will be fresher.

City is a must win, It would put us a point behind them and keep the fight for fourth going. Their two CBs missing is a boost but it wont help any if we play a rigid style with the players miles away from each other.

I think this is the two games that'll define LVG's reign. Two losses and he gets a P45 on Monday morning once HR/Payroll departments open. It'll be the end of European competition and trying to get through the CL that way and a loss on Sunday ends any chance of getting 4th spot.

Think that'll leave us with 8-9 games in season and if Giggs is unwilling to take over for that period he gets a P45 too. If he thinks he's able to hold up the club as he wants a job hes unqualified for then good riddance.

Get Butty or Joyce to take it on until the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Julez

Can't see us winning. We're ****e away from home.

fyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,228 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Won't be popular but I'd throw out the reserves against Liverpool and give the team a rest before facing a crap, Kompany-less City at the weekend.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Won't be popular but I'd throw out the reserves against Liverpool and give the team a rest before facing a crap, Kompany-less City at the weekend.

what reserves the u16s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

brinty wrote: »
    I think this is the two games that'll define LVG's reign.

I think his reign has been defined and we are just marking time until the board get their act together.

Say its a defeat tomorrow, will it be any worse than the horrendous performance less than a week ago? Would a victory make that performance suddenly be acceptable? Would 6/7 wins from the last 8 games and scraping into 4th place really make up for the 2 years of rubbish that preceded it? I don't think so.

Regardless of what happens in the remainder of the season Van Gaal needs to be shown the door, any individual victory or defeat in the remaining games won't change that.

I think his reign has been defined and we are just marking time until the board get their act together.

Say its a defeat tomorrow, will it be any worse than the horrendous performance less than a week ago? Would a victory make that performance suddenly be acceptable? Would 6/7 wins from the last 8 games and scraping into 4th place really make up for the 2 years of rubbish that preceded it? I don't think so.

Regardless of what happens in the remainder of the season Van Gaal needs to be shown the door, any individual victory or defeat in the remaining games won't change that.

Fully agree with you Buckety and I see LVG being shown the door after the season. I think and maybe I worded it arse ways, if we lose these two games he'll be sacked rather than wait to the end of the season.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

brinty wrote: »
    Fully agree with you Buckety and I see LVG being shown the door after the season. I think and maybe I worded it arse ways, if we lose these two games he'll be sacked rather than wait to the end of the season.

Honestly, I think while we're still in the FA Cup, he won't go.

Still, I'd worry about the fan reaction if Liverpool rock up to OT and knock us out of the EL tomorrow....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭billo.d86

J. Marston wrote: »

I think everything should be thrown at the Europe League it is our best option of Champions League football next year. I would happily finish 6th 2 cups. But I think 6th is where we deserve on League form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

billo.d86 wrote: »
    I think everything should be thrown at the Europe League it is our best option of Champions League football next year. I would happily finish 6th 2 cups. But I think 6th is where we deserve on League form.

We won't get either but 4th is more achievable than EL. There's not much hope of turning this tie around tomorrow night so it's as good as over. Liverpool score 1 and we need 4, and with that defence they will score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

There is a far better chance of 4th than winning the EL for me, we are two goals down and Pool will score at least one against us.

Play a weakened team and throw everything at City on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Reportedly the new kits for next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

We won't get either but 4th is more achievable than EL. There's not much hope of turning this tie around tomorrow night so it's as good as over. Liverpool score 1 and we need 4, and with that defence they will score.

United are more than capable of beating Liverpool 3-0. Though they naturally haven't been playing to their capabilities. Fellaini, Herrera and Schwein with Mata, memphis and Martial up front is what I'd go for. Definitely won't happen but sure I'll say it anyway.

Liam O wrote: »
    United are more than capable of beating Liverpool 3-0. Though they naturally haven't been playing to their capabilities. Fellaini, Herrera and Schwein with Mata, memphis and Martial up front is what I'd go for. Definitely won't happen but sure I'll say it anyway.

4-4-2 with mata and Fellaini on the wings? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

bangkok wrote: »
    4-4-2 with mata and Fellaini on the wings? :eek:

No a 4-3-3 with a lot of the same players in their positions the last time United beat Liverpool 3-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

United are not going to beat Liverpool by 3 goals tomorrow. Don't even do it to yourself. EL is over for United.

Liam O wrote: »
    No a 4-3-3 with a lot of the same players in their positions the last time United beat Liverpool 3-0.

sorry read that wrong, was looking at it on the phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Say the players name or don't say it at all.

Post reasonably or don't post at all?

if we get an early goal tomorrow night and put serious pressure on liverpool we could beat them but i think we need to score early. if we let them settle into the game and if we havent scored after 20-30 min cant see us going through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

I don't think we'll score 3 unanswered goals against Liverpool, and I'm not entirely convinced I'd fancy us to win a penalty shootout against them either. Just the way the team is playing at the minute, there's just so few players I'd be confident of scoring when the pressure is on.

if we get an early goal tomorrow night and put serious pressure on liverpool we could beat them but i think we need to score early. if we let them settle into the game and if we havent scored after 20-30 min cant see us going through

Pretty fair assessment Bangkok..
    We have to get an early goal, will get the crowd rocking and create a raucous atmosphere and from there god help Liverpool
    No goal after 30 minutes and the atmosphere is how Liverpool will want it

• Advertisement

We're 7/1 to go through with Paddy Power...Choo choo.

In all seriousness it would be amazing to beat them, if we really go out and start fast and sharp we could score 3 goals. Be great to get 3 in the first half and then keep everyone behind the ball defending for the 2nd half... I know I need to be realistic and it won't happen though..

My problem is that Klopps job is very easy tomorrow night and he is smart enough to know it.

Even assuming that for once our players are actually up for it, we have a 2 goal disadvantage and so we need the game to be fast, open and high intensity to let the likes of Depay or Martial beat players or work some magic.

All Liverpool have to do is sit back, keep it compact and let us have the ball in midfield, a tactic we have consistently struggled against for 2 years now. Why would Klopp do anything different?

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

My problem is that Klopps job is very easy tomorrow night and he is smart enough to know it.

Even assuming that for once our players are actually up for it, we have a 2 goal disadvantage and so we need the game to be fast, open and high intensity to let the likes of Depay or Martial beat players or work some magic.

All Liverpool have to do is sit back, keep it compact and let us have the ball in midfield, a tactic we have consistently struggled against for 2 years now. Why would Klopp do anything different?

LVG clearly doesn't mind the other teams getting numbers behind the ball. Fast open play is not his thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

There is more chance of us losing 1-0 or 2-1 tomorrow night than winning 3-0.

Its equally unlikely, (given form and the way we play), that we will keep a clean sheet or score 3 times.

There is absolutely no reason to think that group can summon a performance good enough to win the tie.

LVG clearly doesn't mind the other teams getting numbers behind the ball. Fast open play is not his thing.

Clearly it isn't, and thats why I can't see us winning.

min 4, martial goes around mignolet, he is brought down, penalty and a red card. Firmino is taken off and bogdan goes in goal. Mata from the spot 1-0

Min 10, mata tees up herrera 20 yards out, in off the post 2-0

min 16 liverpool run ragged, martial skins clyne and is brought down, yellow card clyne and a free kick to united, mata puts the ball in fellaini heads in 3-0 (keep everyone happy :) )

min 27 depay tricks his way past clyne who cant touch him and dinks the ball over an onrushing bogdan. 4-0

what a first half, liverpool have no answer to a rampant United

2nd half

nothing of note happens, united keep the ball for most of the half, liverpool pull 1 back but top little too late. united go through 4-3 on agg.

taken directly from bbc match tracker... :pac:

• Advertisement

min 4, martial goes around mignolet, he is brought down, penalty and a red card. Firmino is taken off and bogdan goes in goal. Mata from the spot 1-0

min 16 liverpool run ragged, martial skins clyne and is brought down, yellow card clyne and a free kick to united, mata puts the ball in fellaini heads in 3-0 (keep everyone happy :) )

min 27 depay tricks his way past clyne who cant touch him and dinks the ball over an onrushing bogdan. 4-0

2nd half

nothing of note happens, united keep the ball for most of the half, liverpool pull 1 back but top little too late. united go through 4-3 on agg.

This is obviously not going to happen, you're delusional........Mata is off pens as he missed the last one, Herrera is on them now :D

2nd half

2BAFC8BA00000578-3212002-image-m-11_1440620816668.jpg

If that happens Giggsy could be getting the death stare once again

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Delboy5

The manager tells #MUTV it's too early for Schweinsteiger to start or for Valencia and Young to feature in the squad...

Fcuk!! Was hoping Schweinsteiger would start.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Delboy5 wrote: »
    The manager tells #MUTV it's too early for Schweinsteiger to start or for Valencia and Young to feature in the squad...

Fcuk!! Was hoping Schweinsteiger would start.....
    Must be the Fellaini-Carrick axis of doom in midfield again so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Is Klopp being allowed to pick both teams?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

How many times this season have we scored two or more goals without also conceding? Feels like any match we try attacking in, our defence falls apart...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

2nd half

You wouldn't even have to score the peno. Since Bogdan isn't part of Liverpool's Europa League squad we can go on to beat ye 5-0 and you'd still go through as we'd be disqualified for fielding an ineligible player!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lord TSC wrote: »
    How many times this season have we scored two or more goals without also conceding? Feels like any match we try attacking in, our defence falls apart...

They'll score, we'll never score 4.

Even I can get my hopes up for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

what I hope for is the team to put in a good showing Thursday, go all to win and if we're destroyed in the counter so be it.

I dont want to see a gutless performance again from this team

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Must be the Fellaini-Carrick axis of doom in midfield again so.

:(

Come back Anderson and Tom Cleverly all is forgiven... well maybe not.

Darren Fletcher and Danny Drinkwater we didn't mean to let you go it was a clerical error!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Headshot wrote: »
    what I hope for is the team to put in a good showing Thursday, go all to win and if we're destroyed in the counter so be it.

Yep.

I'd hope we will set out our stall as we did against Midgetland.

We have absolutely nothing to lose so at least bloody try.

Barring a miracle the tie is over anyway so I just want to see the team get a little bit of their self respect back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Headshot wrote: »

100% agree we have put in so many performances that have offered nothing in attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Knowing our luck, we'll be 3-0 until Coutinho smashes one home from 35 yards out in the 94th minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The Herrera quotes are just silly, "we are United" and all this kind of talk, despite the embarrassment that is this season. I'd say most teams in the league would fancy their chances against us. I'm really sick of hearing the players either talking a big game or apologising it seems to always be one of the other.

Liverpool would have filled their boots if we hadn't got De Gea in goal, take away Liverpool's best player on the night and they still would have won.

Thursday is just a pointless waste of energy now that could be better used on Sunday against a team that seem to not care about the league.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement