Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

adox wrote: »
    Well my reading of your post is that you most certainly implied that the banner in the picture was hung at Old Trafford tonight which isn't true.

Read it again,if I wanted to imply it was the one in the pic I would have said so.Imagine the uproar if United fans did on the kop what Liverpool fans did tonight at OT.

https://twitter.com/j_coatsworth/status/710587423168864261

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

zerks wrote: »
    Read it again,if I wanted to imply it was the one in the pic I would have said so.Imagine the uproar if United fans did on the kop what Liverpool fans did tonight at OT.

https://twitter.com/j_coatsworth/status/710587423168864261

I have read it again. It may not have been your intention but it certainly reads like I originally said, to me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I didn't say that flag was hung at OT....The "murderers" one wasn't either.Still 2 wrongs doesn't make a right.Morons being moronic over football-who would have thought.

The vast majority of Liverpool fans would have zero truck with those idiots, just like most United fans would have none with idiots who flew the banner on the bridge today.

Isn't it time both sets of fans abandoned that prepubescent sh!te and discussed football, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,382 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I heard it was Chelsea fans that put up the murderers banner.....

Some may not make the connection.

• Advertisement

The vast majority of Liverpool fans would have zero truck with those idiots, just like most United fans would have none with idiots who flew the banner on the bridge today.

Isn't it time both sets of fans abandoned that prepubescent sh!te and discussed football, yeah?

United don't play football too much these days:(

I'm going to get some sleep,maybe in the morning I will be greeted by the nice yellow ticker on SSN saying LVG is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭Augme

Kettle calling the pot black by Liverpool fans tonight,

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdxXC3XW8AUYftC.jpg:large

Liverpool banner was hung amongst United fans and here is the result.

https://twitter.com/Br00my86/status/710593062465093633

In the same post:
    -Posts picture of banner
    - Writes "Liverpool banner was hung amongst United fans and here is the result"
    - Claims he was referring to completely different banner.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Read it again,if I wanted to imply it was the one in the pic I would have said so.

You posted a picture of a scummy Liverpool banner and under it you said "Liverpool banner was hung amongst United fans and here is the result." It would be weird for anybody to read your post and then think the banner you were talking about wasn't the one you had posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Long term tonight hopefully will be good thing.

Long term tonight hopefully will be good thing.

Why? Can't imagine it making any difference. Unless some potential global partner pulls out of a deal based on crap like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Success for this current crop of United players is playing for United. They have made it on a personal level, but to bring trophies , not sure they look bothered either way.
    Marital and DeGea , you have two top players.
    United have themselves to blame, buying '' potential' like they were short of funds to go out proven quality.
    I can't imagine any of those players will lose sleep tonight over losing so badly to Liverpool over two legs. They will wake up all refreshed without a care in the world.

dmlpokxddethm8ozsddl.jpg

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Why? Can't imagine it making any difference. Unless some potential global partner pulls out of a deal based on crap like that.

It's nail in coffin for LVG.

Not that I think any was left. He is gone in summer.

Its actually impressive, in all the wrong ways!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

CdxXC3XW8AUYftC.jpg:large

Thats not the flag that was hung up by liverpool fans. And the guys who did it (hung up the banner) were stupid but i don't think it compares to the malice of what had to be thousands of united fans singing that shameful song. Its funny as the "20 times song" is more than enough to piss most Liverpool fans off.

Any liverpool fan belittling Munich is a moron and while i have heard songs sung about it at Anfield the last two matches have seen a LOT more people singing Hilsborough songs than in the past. Hopefully its not a trend that continues.

It's nail in coffin for LVG.

Not that I think any was left. He is gone in summer.

So then tonight makes no difference and it was just another depressing humiliation from a club that doesn't care anymore.

Global partners and their cash, the only thing United care about or push for.

The club is a disgrace. The glazers, Woodward and LVG, absolute poison.

So.....the Liverpool morons aren't as bad, no, aren't as many, as the United ones is what you are saying? Certainly not as malicious?

Be simpler to just say they are all dopes and let that be that really wouldn't it, not a pissing contest either side would come out any better for winning.

So then tonight makes no difference and it was just another depressing humiliation from a club that doesn't care anymore.

Global partners and their cash, the only thing United care about or push for.

The club is a disgrace. The glazers, Woodward and LVG, absolute poison.

I don't think Glazers or Woodward are poison.

Look, the LVG appointment has not worked, it's annoying, it's frustrating, but it can be fixed.

To blame Woodward for this is not fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Would yous ever shut the hell up about banners and chants please.
    Nobody here has to answer for any of it, the whinging is unbearable.

The oneupmanship over all this is pathetic and nearly as disrespectful as the songs and banners

It's not right. No right minded supporter thinks it is acceptable from either side.

The "yeah but they did it as well" and " yeah but your lot had more doing it than ours" "look at his picture "look at that picture"

Youse are acting like kids and not showing any respect to the incidents that are being mocked.

Look the LVG appointment has not worked, it's annoying, it's frustrating, but it can be fixed.

To absolve Woodward of blame for the current state is laughable. His inaction since December is a disgrace. The direction of the club under his stewardship has been downward, and you absolve him of blame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Look, the LVG appointment has not worked, it's annoying, it's frustrating, but it can be fixed.

It depends how big a role Woodward has in determining the strategy re: united targets. Martial is sensational but he should be a complimentary signing not the guy who the season revolves around. Completely unfair on him and tbh i'm amazed at how well he's handled it all. He's going to be a sensational player. But there should be another option other than Rashford (who has been excellent too in fairness) there.

The two cms signed in the summer have not worked out. Neither offers any real creativity in the middle and united are now crazy one dimensional. Part of that is the manager but the options don't really exist for him to change it...

To absolve Woodward of blame for the current state is laughable. His inaction since December is a disgrace. The direction of the club under his stewardship has been downward, and you absolve him of blame?

So since December he been a disgrace or since he took the job?

Listen he made mistake in keeping LVG on, maybe he could not solve it, we can't be sure.

Ok he should take some of blame if December was the timeline to sake LVG but to call him Poison? Really? No, not yet anyway.

I don't absolve Woodward, but he is also a cog in the wheel. He is not the sole decision maker at the club and it seems the malaise does not begin or end with him.

Would yous ever shut the hell up about banners and chants please.
    Nobody here has to answer for any of it, the whinging is unbearable.

Banners,flags....its worse than the unionists up north.people being outraged over one feckin word.

I don't absolve Woodward, but he is also a cog in the wheel. He is not the sole decision maker at the club and it seems the malaise does not begin or end with him.

One things for sure. After the last three seasons an internal review certainly needs to take place and people higher up than the manager need to be held accountable for what has happened.

No one expected an easy ride post Fergie but the club has been run very badly since his departure and serious questions need to be asked.

I don't think they will but they should be. There seems to be a culture of head in the sand when critiquing what is happening with the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CdxXC3XW8AUYftC.jpg:large

Was that what started that.

Disgraceful behaviour if so and I hope whoever was involved were arrested. Seem to be a few steward and police up in that section.

Edit: Seems it was an actual Liverpool flag that was hung up in the United end and the United fans took exception.

Point still stands about the first flag though. Disgraceful behaviour by those involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

But it should have been fixed months ago when we still had a chance of making something of our season no point sacking him now unless we get a proper manager in to assess the squad before the summer.

The same crap happened with moyes they got rid when it wasnt possible to get fourth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Banners,flags....its worse than the unionists up north.people being outraged over one feckin word.

Maybe stop posting pictures of aforementioned banners then. Just a thought.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

yup. people getting carried away over nothing. just sad acts having cheap pops at each other in a game of never ending oneupsmanship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Im just... sad :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Once we get proper manager we will see much better performance from same players.

We have very good squad but they are not playing to their potential because of Van Gaal methods.

Martial, Memphis, Smalling, Herrera, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Darmian, Mata are all capable of better performance and excellent core to build team.

Then we have very talented players like Januzaj, Pereira, CBJ, Rashford, Fosu Mensah.

All we need is change of manager and players having a chance to express themselves.

If we end up making massive changes like last 2 seasons then we will go even down. Our squad is fine but needs 2-3 first team players. Should concentrate on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Time to hide away from the world and watch Daredevil for the day

• Unearthly wrote: »
    Time to hide away from the world and watch Daredevil for the day

I have a wedding today....so no hiding :(...but yes Daredevil is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Not one player last night was prepared to do something risky, it's a fear ingrained in them by the manager. Don't adhere to his philosophy and you are out.

Sickens me the amount of possession we had and chances and only score from a penalty. I just want this season over tbh, and someone who knows what they are doing in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Once we get proper manager we will see much better performance from same players.

We have very good squad but they are not playing to their potential because of Van Gaal methods.

Martial, Memphis, Smalling, Herrera, Shaw, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Darmian, Mata are all capable of better performance and excellent core to build team.

Then we have very talented players like Januzaj, Pereira, CBJ, Rashford, Fosu Mensah.

All we need is change of manager and players having a chance to express themselves.

If we end up making massive changes like last 2 seasons then we will go even down. Our squad is fine but needs 2-3 first team players. Should concentrate on that.

If Mourinho is taking over the above highlighted players won't even get a chance to play anymore!
    Plus he will want more players brought in that he feels is suited to his style of play so that is more massive changes to the squad as he will want at least 3-4 first team players plus there is a good chance that De Gea will be Real bound on top of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I fell asleep at full time. It kind of felt it was inevitable and hopefully it will focus the team that their only option is to get top 4.
    I would nearly prefer to finish 7th than 5th or 6th, not sure we can win the fa cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Last night was not the real problem it just served to show what this group of players can do with confidence and motivation. For the first 45 mins the team played fast moving football and the plan was on track all was good until pool scored.

Half time comes and lvg failed to pick the team up and send them out with the same fight and fast paced football from the first half. That's the managers job its his job to set the team up and to motivate them he has failed to do this for the majority of the season.

Thats the biggest problem that needs to e fixed get a decent hungrier manager in and fix a few holes in the squad. City and arsenal and Chelsea have alot of work to do too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

God, I know its not coming. But I'd do anything to see a "LVG fired; Giggs leaves too" headline...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Lord TSC wrote:
    God, I know its not coming. But I'd do anything to see a "LVG fired; Giggs leaves too" headline...

Unfortunately it will probably be more like

RYAN HEIR

With a sub headline of

GIGGS TAKES THE THRONE AS KING LOUIS ABDICATES

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Very good article in one of the papers today basically saying that a few years ago Utd were angry at the supposed injustice after being knocked out of the CL by Real and last night were were knocked out of the second tier by the 8th placed team in the EPL.

TO be honest we never looked like, in the 2nd half, coming anywhere close to doing it.

It is, from a utd perspective, a very sad decline. The fans have lived up to their job, the money men have provided the funds and continue to drive the business forward to allow further investment, but unfortunately we have a management team incapable of delivering.

I have no idea how LVG ever won anything. Whatever he did have he no longer has. He is devoid of any ideas, has failed to deal with the nature of the EPL, has failed to motivate his players, has failed to develop any of the players and after nearly 3 years has a team whose only plan seems to be to pass the ball in midfield.

Mata was awful. After his stupid red card the other week he should have been dropped (especially given his form) yet LVG continues to play him. Fel, not going get into the debate about him here, but look at any time he gets the ball in or around the box. He has no ability to shoot and invariably ends up passing it backwards, he just sucks the life out on any attack. He should have got a red for the elbow as well and that is just stupid since we were chasing the game and he potentially wrecks it. Total lack of discipline.

LVG seems to not trust any of his players, he is constantly changing the team and the players. Moving them into new positions regardless of how they are playing. Like Rashford a few games ago, he puts Valera against their best player and then yanks him after the 1st half. Why play him then? Way to go about destroying a players confidence.

LVG has no clue what he is doing, what to do to fix it and even what the best system is. He is a massive failure. I am not sure why there aren't banners demanding he be fired. Another season wasted, another group of players reduced to bit players. He has achieved nothing positive in his time here. Can anybody point to anything that he has made better than wouldn't have happened anyway. The only positive point is DDG and it has nothing at all to do with LVG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

I don't get this notion that Mourinho is never going play the young players, just off the top of my head he has played Robben, Varane, Jese, Zouma & Courtois.. if they are good enough they will play. Why would he settle for average players just because they came through the youths.. if a top talent comes through, he will play.

I actually see Fosu-Mensah as the ultimate Mourinho player.. tough no nonsense style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭secman

astradave wrote: »
    I don't get this notion that Mourinho is never going play the young players, just off the top of my head he has played Robben, Varane, Jese, Zouma & Courtois.. if they are good enough they will play. Why would he settle for average players just because they came through the youths.. if a top talent comes through, he will play.

I actually see Fosu-Mensah as the ultimate Mourinho player.. tough no nonsense style.

Robben couldn't wait to get away from him...Duff too.. he got rid of Joe Cole too... short memories...and rose tinted glasses. ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

secman wrote: »
    Robben couldn't wait to get away from him...Duff too.. he got rid of Joe Cole too... short memories...and rose tinted glasses. ..

That's a totally different arguement.. there is plenty of things to criticise and not want Mourinho over but the repeated critisism that he doesnt play young players is wrong.

Short memories? Rose tinted glasses? Maybe read the the thread and have an idea of what I was talking about bofore taking pot shots.

astradave wrote: »
    That's a totally different arguement.. there is plenty of things to criticise and not want Mourinho over but the repeated critisism that he doesnt play young players is wrong.

Short memories? Rose tinted glasses? Maybe read the the thread and have an idea of what I was talking about bofore taking pot shots.
    Not having a pop at you.... just pointing out that Mourinho has held back flair players and is well capable of playing dour football.

Augme wrote: »
    In the same post:
    -Posts picture of banner
    - Writes "Liverpool banner was hung amongst United fans and here is the result"
    - Claims he was referring to completely different banner.

:pac:

There was lots of banners and flags at OT last night,semantics over a single word just for one-upmanship and backslapping/thanks whoring.

Anyhow,lets leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Thecon21 wrote: »
    Im just... sad :(

What you need is a hug. A big Klopp style hug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The same Joe Cole that left in 2010 after winning a league and cup double even though Jose had left 2 years previously?

The saddest thing was the players just seemed to give up last night,it was as if they realised that they weren't going to score and decided to see the game out.
    Would Jose allow that,or any other manager for that matter? LVG says he wants the players to work out problems on the pitch and that is why he stays in the dugout but sometimes you need to take responsibility for motivating them and changing stuff on the fly.If the team is coached ad nauseum to play a certain way,how does he expect them to suddenly do something different mid game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jose didn't get rid of Cole? Hows your memory?

GavRedKing wrote: »
    The same Joe Cole that left in 2010 after winning a league and cup double even though Jose had left 2 years previously?

So Mourinho never curtailed flair players. . Never played dour football. . Never had RM kicking Barca off the pitch. ... haill the saviour.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement