Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

secman wrote: »
    So Mourinho never curtailed flair players. . Never played dour football. . Never had RM kicking Barca off the pitch. ... haill the saviour.

Who would you like to see take over at Utd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

A mid table team like Utd has a chance to get one of the top coaches in football and some on here think we should pass?

I see UEFA are charging Utd and Liverpool over the behaviour of the fans last night. I think they should make an example of them and ban them both from European competition for a year, effective immediately. :p

Seriously at the very least both clubs should have to play their next European home game behind closed doors. That'll learn 'em. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Korat wrote: »
    Who would you like to see take over at Utd?

I would like blanc done a great job at PSG. i know thats not too hard at the minute but i think he was doing good things with france before that.

I think if we appoint Jose or Giggs it will be the 3rd bad appointment in a row

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Leroy42 wrote:
    A mid table team like Utd has a chance to get one of the top coaches in football and some on here think we should pass?

Mid table? Wasn't aware there are only 12 teams in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Leroy42 wrote: »

But the Class of '92,Robbo,Charlton,Yorkie..............They all want Giggsy,we should follow blindly and put reason to one side.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

sky88 wrote:
    I would like blanc done a great job at PSG. i know thats not too hard at the minute but i think he was doing good things with france before that.

Blanc
    Who wins a one team league with a blank cheque book who PSG would get rid off if any top manager batted their eye lids in their direction...

He did a fine job with Bordeaux but he's not in the upper echelons of manager s

Thepoet85 wrote: »

There are really three levels in the EPL. Top 4, mid table irrelevance and bottom.

You can comfort yourself with talk of 6th or 7th or whatever, but it is meaningless. We are in the group with Liverpool, Everton, Stoke, West-Ham etc. Each on their day can do great things but overall they just lack quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭KH25

I see UEFA are charging Utd and Liverpool over the behaviour of the fans last night. I think they should make an example of them and ban them both from European competition for a year, effective immediately. :p

Seriously at the very least both clubs should have to play their next European home game behind closed doors. That'll learn 'em. :)

Its ridiculous behaviour from both sets of fans. All over a game of football. I just can't understand it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

United have been charged for crowd disturbances and throwing of objects and having stairways blocked.

Liverpool, who won the tie 3-1 on aggregate, have been charged with illicit chants and the setting off of fireworks.

The case will be dealt with by the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body on 19 May.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/653630/Man-Utd-Liverpool-charged-UEFA-trouble-Old-Trafford-News-Gossip

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Ah we're shíte lad. Our squad is full of Everton/Southampton level players - aka mid table.

Rooney, Martial, Shaw, Schneiderlin, DDG, Smalling, Darmian are the only players I wouldn't hate to see leave. Rooney more so for what he's given the club and experience rather than ability right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

well that was some sh1t last night.

good to see our WWE superstar never lost it with the Peoples Elbow!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

d79be2866bdeafea09e695edf4bcb891.png

brinty wrote: »
    Blanc
    Who wins a one team league with a blank cheque book who PSG would get rid off if any top manager batted their eye lids in their direction...

He did a fine job with Bordeaux but he's not in the upper echelons of manager s

Success in France is no guarantee of success in England .The PL has had more French flops than hits with some very highly rated French coaches.

Jacques Santini, Allain Perrin, Remi Garde and Jean Tigana all did well in France without Arab billions to spend, but didn't do as well in the PL. Wenger and Houllier would be considered successes but even they wouldn't even be the standard Utd should be expecting.

Blanc would be a big risk in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

bangkok wrote: »
    well that was some sh1t last night.

good to see our WWE superstar never lost it with the Peoples Elbow!!!

It wouldn't be the day after a match without Bangkok trying to start a Fellaini debate :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

This team has an incredible ability to push me to the point of actually not caring, and just before it hits rock bottom, giving me hope. Normally the hope lasts a week, last night i was what, 10 minutes and they equalised?

I'm again deflated, abject, uninterested and struggling massively. And knowing this team, they will beat City at the weekend and top 4 all looking like its back on again.

The wool has firmly come off my eyes at this point. Expect a very different tone of post from me in the coming months and potentially throughout next season. All my bull**** about this player having ability, tht player having ability, a chance here a chance there, that is all gone. RIP, gone, dead.

From the moment Moyes walked in the door, club has been in free fall. That it has happened so quickly, maybe it was a form of supporter shock that I couldn't properly appreciate what is happening. But it's abundantly clear now.

The squad is an absolute disaster, the signings have been piss poor with near 350m post Fergie thrown away and two managers who can't restrict the decline. While we have obviously been suffering from chronic investment in the squad for YEARS, what we have now is all if's, buts and maybes. A squad of potential, and with potential, it's just as likely to go wrong then it is right. Instead of bedding in like 1-2 youngsters through a season or in a squad, we seem to have half our squad made up of youth players.

I'm very much likely going to re-align my expectations, and those expectations are going to be fitting for what the club of our history and success should be doing. That donkey Sakho looking like Cannivaro, and Lallana looking like Messi, gave me a reaction that can only be described as when Jim Carry's character snapped in the supermarket in Me,myself and Irene.

TheDoc wrote: »
    This team has an incredible ability to push me to the point of actually not caring, and just before it hits rock bottom, giving me hope. Normally the hope lasts a week, last night i was what, 10 minutes and they equalised?

I'm again deflated, abject, uninterested and struggling massively. And knowing this team, they will beat City at the weekend and top 4 all looking like its back on again.

The wool has firmly come off my eyes at this point. Expect a very different tone of post from me in the coming months and potentially throughout next season. All my bull**** about this player having ability, tht player having ability, a chance here a chance there, that is all gone. RIP, gone, dead.

From the moment Moyes walked in the door, club has been in free fall. That it has happened so quickly, maybe it was a form of supporter shock that I couldn't properly appreciate what is happening. But it's abundantly clear now.

The squad is an absolute disaster, the signings have been piss poor with near 350m post Fergie thrown away and two managers who can't restrict the decline. While we have obviously been suffering from chronic investment in the squad for YEARS, what we have now is all if's, buts and maybes. A squad of potential, and with potential, it's just as likely to go wrong then it is right. Instead of bedding in like 1-2 youngsters through a season or in a squad, we seem to have half our squad made up of youth players.

I'm very much likely going to re-align my expectations, and those expectations are going to be fitting for what the club of our history and success should be doing. That donkey Sakho looking like Cannivaro, and Lallana looking like Messi, gave me a reaction that can only be described as when Jim Carry's character snapped in the supermarket in Me,myself and Irene.

The money that was spent could have been spent much better. Was there a need to get rid of Jonny Evans and spend 16m on Rojo?

Fellaini, Mata & Herrera = 94m

Who the **** is buying these players? Is it the managers fault or is it Woodys fault?

Mata - Needs to go. Give me 20m and I'll be happy.

We need to spend 180m this summer.

50m centreback
    50m midfielder
    30m (+Matas 20m) right winger
    50m left winger. (striker is Martial plays on the left)

I remember watching one of LVG's early games in 2014 around the time the cracks started to show. I was annoyed to see Mata picked on the wing because he kept drifting in field leaving Valencia on his own to provide width on the right wing and cover the entire right flank in defence while on the otherside the opposition could double up on Di Maria. The same thing happened last night but Liverpool were so bad that Utd should actually have scored a few goals before the inevitable happened and young Varela was left trying to cover the entire right flank by himself.

Two bloody years ago that problem was obvious. Zero progress has been made since, in fact Utd have got worse. What's Woodward doing about it? He's off signing up new sponsors.

If he knew anything about football and not just a bean counter for the Glazers he should be able to see what's happening a long time ago and do something about it. For me Woodward is primarily to blame for the situation we're in. He's the chief executive and if core function of the business is failing and falling apart the responsibility lies directly with him. No excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

The money that was spent could have been spent much better. Was there a need to get rid of Jonny Evans and spend 16m on Rojo?
    I like Rojo, he has struggled with injury but he has a good fight about him, technically ok, and he looked a decent CB for periods last year. I've no major issues with him other then his bad luck with injuries.

Evans always irked me with his stupid clueless look coupled with his stupid clueless defending for the most part.

Who the **** is buying these players? Is it the managers fault or is it Woodys fault?

Mata has been as a whole massively underwhelming. When I think we had Kagawa, a pretty dynamic #10 that had moved passed his settling in period, and we spunk that money on Mata to play him out wide. Crazy stuff. Lovely player that has rarely hit the heights for us as he should. Partially because of managers playing him out of position, but there is a certain responsibility for players to force their managers hand.

50m centreback
    50m midfielder
    We need to get some established talent into the squad, immediately. If Jose arrives, that is exactly what he will look to do also. Historically he has no time for nurturing talent, so don't see that changing, as much as he might wax lyrical he will. And by all accounts it looks like some decent players may be available this summer.

Mourinho with financial backing nearly ended Fergusons domestic reign, only for Chelsea to self implode. See no reason why we cannot provide him that environment.

I think talk of being a mid table team is premature.

I agree lads that were ****e to watch at the moment, but I hope with the right man in charge we can get back challenging on all fronts.

• Advertisement

Two bloody years ago that problem was obvious. Zero progress has been made since, in fact Utd have got worse. What's Woodward doing about it? He's off signing up new sponsors.

If he knew anything about football and not just a bean counter for the Glazers he should be able to see what's happening a long time ago and do something about it. For me Woodward is primarily to blame for the situation we're in. He's the chief executive and if core function of the business is failing and falling apart the responsibility lies directly with him. No excuses.

Whilst Woody has to take some of the blame since he is in ultimate control, do we really want a scenario whereby the CEO is picking the team ala Roman at Chelsea or the guy at Newcastle?

Woody job is to financially drive the club, and on most indicators he is doing that. LVG's job is to manage the football side of things. He is the tyoe of manager, correctly in my view, that only accepts total control over the team, the signings etc. Remember, when he joined he was very vocal about the Asia summer trips being wrong. Woody stopped them although I am sure they make sense from a profit POV.

So you are misdirecting your ire towards Woody. It is sorely at the hands of LVG. HE has been given the time, the money, the backing and has achieved nothing. Not a single positive that I can think of.

Thank god we have Woody in place to continue to drive the finances forward as if Woody was doing his job at the level LVG was doing his then we would be pretty much bankrupt at this stage and no chance in hell of getting the likes of Jose or the type of players we need.

I think talk of being a mid table team is premature.

I agree lads that were ****e to watch at the moment, but I hope with the right man in charge we can get back challenging on all fronts.

It is exactly what we are at the minute. It may not last, it may well be sorted by a new manager/new players, but we are clearly a mid table team at the moment. To think otherwise is to ignore reality.

Liverpool spent years ignoring the fact they were mid table and basing their judgement on history. History is worth nothing on the pitch.

astradave wrote: »
    It wouldn't be the day after a match without Bangkok trying to start a Fellaini debate :pac:

think I will give myself another self imposed 2 week no fellaini talk ban. getting boring now. crap again last night and a thug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Tbf he wasn't bad in the first half
    Can we get a card issued if you bring him up again in the next two weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Cmon Dortmund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Fellaini was one our best players last night and looked up for it from minute one. Can't stand he plays for United but he was far from blame last night tbf

Liverpool got Dortmund. We would have been put out anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

50m centreback
    50m midfielder

They may not have replaced Jonny Evans, if he could ever stay fit. When a player is chronically injured for huge chunks of the season, you have to cut your losses at some point. Phil Jones is coming close to that now IMO. Rojo has been injured too, but that couldn't have been foreseen.

As for paying 50m for a centreback, who would you get? Half the posters on here were billing Otamendi as the next great CB we should get, he's been rubbish at City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

think I will give myself another self imposed 2 week no fellaini talk ban. getting boring now. crap again last night and a thug

I blame him for the goal. If he had been standing on the line he would have saved it with his stupid afro.

Fellaini was one our best players last night and looked up for it from minute one. Can't stand he plays for United but he was far from blame last night tbf

no one blame him, he was just poor again.

one stage in the 2nd half, he got the ball edge of the box, could have turned and shot, but instead he ran away from the goal and passed it out wide. also he should have been sent off for elbow on lovern

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

jayo26 wrote: »
    Last night was not the real problem it just served to show what this group of players can do with confidence and motivation. For the first 45 mins the team played fast moving football and the plan was on track all was good until pool scored.

Half time comes and lvg failed to pick the team up and send them out with the same fight and fast paced football from the first half. That's the managers job its his job to set the team up and to motivate them he has failed to do this for the majority of the season.

Thats the biggest problem that needs to e fixed get a decent hungrier manager in and fix a few holes in the squad. City and arsenal and Chelsea have alot of work to do too.

It was a decent performance in the first half, but then as you say, it wasn't kept up in the second half. But then other times we've been poor in the first half and improved to decent in the second. I don't know if the team ever puts in decent/good performances in both halves anymore.

Maybe there's a fitness issue. Maybe the training is lacking, or maybe Van Gaal's system requires too much running to make it work, so any good play can only last for a short while.

no one blame him, he was just poor again.

one stage in the 2nd half, he got the ball edge of the box, could have turned and shot, but instead he ran away from the goal and passed it out wide. also he should have been sent off for elbow on lovern

Except for his violence, which is a separate issue, he was just the same as the rest of the team. All right, but not good enough. It's the manager that is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

United should be fined heavily for the last week.

Some of fans have been ****ing disgrace. Pathetic.

United van gaal should be fined heavily for the last week.

Some of fans performances have been ****ing disgrace. Pathetic.

fpy

They may not have replaced Jonny Evans, if he could ever stay fit. When a player is chronically injured for huge chunks of the season, you have to cut your losses at some point. Phil Jones is coming close to that now IMO. Rojo has been injured too, but that couldn't have been foreseen.

As for paying 50m for a centreback, who would you get? Half the posters on here were billing Otamendi as the next great CB we should get, he's been rubbish at City.

Stones.
    Marquinhos. Di Marzio has said he may possibly move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

fpy

Fined? You mean sacked :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pro. F wrote: »
    It was a decent performance in the first half, but then as you say, it wasn't kept up in the second half. But then other times we've been poor in the first half and improved to decent in the second. I don't know if the team ever puts in decent/good performances in both halves anymore.

Maybe there's a fitness issue. Maybe the training is lacking, or maybe Van Gaal's system requires too much running to make it work, so any good play can only last for a short while.

It was a simple fact that Liverpool scored right before half time and then the heads dropped they had nothing to play for and lvg could not fire them up to go out and put in a similar level performance to even go and try win against Liverpool a team that are our bitter rivals.

he didn't even try a new tactic his first two subs were full backs for christ sake and we had our top goal scorer out on the wing and had a winger he bought in summer stuck on the bench.

I dont think it's fitness issues look at Liverpool they seemingly run furthest in every game with high pressing they have played alot more games then us this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The sad realisation is that the majority of this squad the highlight of their careers will be being signed by Manchester United, they've already made it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Depressing stuff... we played very well in the first half. Created a hatful of chances, however as in the very odd game we played lile that we miss the bloddy chances. We didnt really come out the 2nd half. The goal right before half time i think shook the team and knocked the confidence big time. Liverpool played well in the 2nd half also i thought in the first half they were dangerous on the break but poor enough. As i thought if we acored first we'd have them on the ropes and we did. Unfortunate to concede when we did.

I felt sorry for Varela getting skinned for the goal. A good young player pressed into service for the biggest game so far of the season and then given the hook at half time. Must be a great confidence builder.. Thought back to the LVG interview a couple of weeks ago where he was patting himself on the back for having a small squad in order to give the young guys a chance... if it wasnt for the injury epidemic they would hardly be getting a look in. Being played now because there is nobody else. Thrown in at the deep end instead of being nurtured and managed and where games can be hand picked.... LVG is really a spoofer ... sooner he is out the door the better.

• Advertisement

It was a simple fact that Liverpool scored right before half time and then the heads dropped they had nothing to play for and lvg could not fire them up to go out and put in a similar level performance to even go and try win against Liverpool a team that are our bitter rivals.

he didn't even try a new tactic his first two subs were full backs for christ sake and we had our top goal scorer out on the wing and had a winger he bought in summer stuck on the bench.

The goal could explain the drop in performance this time. But it seems to happen in most games that we can only put in one 45 minutes of decent performance. Whenever I see the team playing well in the first half I expect it to drop off in the second. And a lot of the time when they play poorly in the first half it seems they pick it up in the second.
    I dont think it's fitness issues look at Liverpool they seemingly run furthest in every game with high pressing they have played alot more games then us this season.

Distance run isn't a good way of measuring workrate in football. But I would say this Liverpool team looks fitter than United these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pro. F wrote: »
    The goal could explain the drop in performance this time. But it seems to happen in most games that we can only put in one 45 minutes of decent performance. Whenever I see the team playing well in the first half I expect it to drop off in the second. And a lot of the time when they play poorly in the first half it seems they pick it up in the second.

Distance run isn't a good way of measuring workrate in football. But I would say this Liverpool team looks fitter than United these days.

What we both mean is it comes down to the manager :)

Strumms wrote: »
    Depressing stuff... we played very well in the first half. Created a hatful of chances, however as in the very odd game we played lile that we miss the bloddy chances. We didnt really come out the 2nd half. The goal right before half time i think shook the team and knocked the confidence big time. Liverpool played well in the 2nd half also i thought in the first half they were dangerous on the break but poor enough. As i thought if we acored first we'd have them on the ropes and we did. Unfortunate to concede when we did.

I felt sorry for Varela getting skinned for the goal. A good young player pressed into service for the biggest game so far of the season and then given the hook at half time. Must be a great confidence builder.. Thought back to the LVG interview a couple of weeks ago where he was patting himself on the back for having a small squad in order to give the young guys a chance... if it wasnt for the injury epidemic they would hardly be getting a look in. Being played now because there is nobody else. Thrown in at the deep end instead of being nurtured and managed and where games can be hand picked.... LVG is really a spoofer ... sooner he is out the door the better.

Varela is shocking. He was nowhere to be seen on the right back position when Liverpool were on the counter. He is 22 and will not be a long term fixture for us. Valencia dealt with their attack comfortably.

Leroy42 wrote:
    It is exactly what we are at the minute. It may not last, it may well be sorted by a new manager/new players, but we are clearly a mid table team at the moment. To think otherwise is to ignore reality.

At the moment maybe, but long term we won't be, if the right decisions are made and the right man takes over.

If it continues in this vein, we will be a mid table team for sure, and will be for a long time.

Hard to believe we've fallen so far.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

You get the feeling that this summer will be the most important one in many many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I can't see Utd ever getting back to the big time. It's over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,871 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Varela is shocking. He was nowhere to be seen on the right back position when Liverpool were on the counter. He is 22 and will not be a long term fixture for us. Valencia dealt with their attack comfortably.

He wasnt great last night but he was left exposed... the nature of how we played in the first half and having to commit players forward early on chasing the tie meant that was likley... maybe under those circumstances Valancia may have been the better option from the get go. Varela has done very well for us in other games.. he lacks experience however despite being 22 and as a young inexperienced player he should be managed bot thrown in at the deep end.. im unsure if he is the long term fix but i still think he has a bit about him and could come good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

So the inevitable happened last night anyway lads and lassies, the damage was done in the first leg and once they got the away goal the faint chance we had was completely diminished.

While its always disappointing to lose to LFC things aren't as bad as some think IMO.

We are currently in the place LFC were a few months ago, a decent squad but they are rudderless at the moment, under a manager that is completely devoid of ideas.

Looking at our squad from the top down

DDG : in the top two keepers in the world, whomever we get in charge in the summer has the unenviable task of trying to persuade him to stay, I fear it's too late though and he will be Madrid bound.

Defense

Shaw showed why we paid the fee we paid for him in the early part of the season until a horrible injury banjaxed him. He is still only a kid and I think he will be an integral part of our squad for years to come when he comes back.

Darmian is a fine full back and has the makings of an Evra type figure for us. Thrown under a bus somewhat by LVG who dropped him for a couple of errors after a bright start. Definite future with the club.

Mike : Started the season brilliantly but lacking a reliable and settled partner has impacted his game. Definite future in the club.

CBJ : Has played well when given the chance, skillful, very pacey and a swashbuckling left sided winger in the making. Definite future in the club.

Jones : injuries have blighted him, extremely brave player but too inconsistent. Ship him out.

Blind & Rojo : Handy utility players to have but not good enough to start. Keep them for rotation purposes.

Fosu Mensah : one for the future, back up / squad player for the next couple of seasons.

Midfield

Mata : lovely footballer by times but too inconsistent, asked to play in a number of positions so managerial issues can be partly held accountable but he shouldn't be starting. Ship him out.

Lingard : A Naniesque player, occasionally brilliant but massively frustrating, at 23 his decision making should be better. Ship him out.

Basti : a legend in world football but past his prime. Good player to have as back up / rotation and I believe a good influence to have for younger players. Keep for rotation.

Carrick : well past his best, legs are gone. Good servant but no time for sentiment. Ship him out.

Herrara : there is a brilliant player in there waiting to be unlocked, just needs a manager to do it. Definite future with the club.

Big Fel : one of the few players to consistently try for us (IMO) but he isn't good enough and I don't think he would be happy as a back up player. Ship him out.

Schneiderlin : much was made of his signing but he hasn't shown the promise he did at Southampton. Much like Lallana at LFC I think the right manager can turn him into a first team player for us. Definite future at the club.

Memphis : arrived with a big reputation but has simply not being good enough. Flashes of brilliance over shadowed by long spells of lethargic play. He needs a massive toe in the hole but a good manager will get the best out of him. I'd certainly give him another season before passing final judgement.

Young : good squad player to have, can be very frustrating but can also provide killer balls into the box. Keep for rotation purposes.

Valencia : not good enough, the place of utility winger is taken by Young. Ship him out.

Adnan : seems to have a attitude problem and a bigger opinion of himself than he deserves. I'd give him one more season but after that it may be time to let him go. Keep for a year to review.

Forwards.

Martial : along with DDG our best player all season and a potentially world class player. The right partner beside him in the right system and he will score goals, lots of goals. Definite future with the club.

Rashford : started well but has been massively exposed (through no fault of his own) by LVG. Still only a kid but has the makings of a lovely player. Definite future with the club.

Rooney : a Jekyll & Hyde season for our captain. There is no doubting he has the ability but he was septic for large tranches of the season and seems to be going through the motions. A manager like Jose could help him get the passion back. I'd keep him unless a stupid offer was to come in from China or the likes of PSG, certainly wouldn't sell him to a PL rival.

Wilson and Powell I've not seen enough of to form an opinion on.

So of the above, there are 6 or 7 players I'd consider good enough to start and some decent back up options.

We need, assuming DDG leaves.

Keeper

Centre half.

Central midfielder.

Right sided winger.

Striker.

Getting rid of Valencia, Jones, Mata and Fellaini would raise at least £50 to £60 million as well as freeing up half a million a week in wages. That coupled with a transfer budget of £100 million could completely overhaul the team.

Jose has proven a knack of buying relatively unknown players and moulding them into superstars - Cech, Drogba and Carvalho for example and he has proven that he isn't afraid to wield the axe when needed.

If we appoint him in the summer I believe this day two years we will be challenging for the title. If we don't then we are going to be much worse off than we are now.

We are a wounded animal at the moment and reading some of the ridiculous comments such as we are now apparently knocked off our perch (have you ever heard such short sighted nonsense like!) should be reason enough for everyone associated with the club to do what's best for the club.

And that boys and girls is appointing Jose Mourinho as our next manager.

Yea might as well close up shop 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I can't see Utd ever getting back to the big time. It's over.

No way. They have the budget to get there if they were managed correctly.

2mabAQG.jpg

Rumoured kit for next year. Nice.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement