Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

What's the context of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Pretty much agree with all of this, things are nowhere near as bad as it seems. I would think our squad are vastly superior to the likes of liverpool. Only difference is they now have a great manager. I've no doubt we'd be in a better position now had LVG been sacked when he should have been back at the end of Nov even with Giggs as interim manager
    There is little or no difference between the squads. Liverpool have better attacking options utd have a world class keeper and a marginally better defence. Midfield options are fairly similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

What's the best results for us today? Thinking a draw is most likely tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

beno619 wrote: »
    When did Giggs give you an exclusive interview ?

Of course like pretty much anyone on this thread, I'm speculating. If you have a contrasting opinion, which would also be speculation - I would be glad to hear it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Everton beat Arsenal and we'll be 4 points off 3rd with a draw tomorrow, it really is a shame. CL football is there for the taking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Jose on bt now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Lord TSC wrote: »
    The fans were all singing their adoration for the club, and when 90 minutes came, it's all handshakes and empty seats....
    Doesn't the half empty stadium before the final whistle send a very strong message??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Doesn't the half empty stadium before the final whistle send a very strong message??

"sur, they are beating the traffic..."

Which is something that happens, I know first hand. But it can be hand waved very easily....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

Christ, Soccer Saturday just started off with a montage of United, City & Chelsea. They were contrasting each sides "good old days" with their current situation. It was fairly depressing.

It's a sad situation, hoping for results to go our way so we can sneak fourth place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Louis will turn it around, you'll see. Just give him time.

Is what I can only assume someone is saying in the boardroom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭markc91

Not sure if true or not but heard there was an interview with Mourinho where he said he will be starting a new job in July but its not one that the media think....If that turns out to be true then were screwed!

markc91 wrote: »
    Not sure if true or not but heard there was an interview with Mourinho where he said he will be starting a new job in July but its not one that the media think....If that turns out to be true then were screwed!

This is the interview in question, I think. Quotes start 2:00 in.

Exact quote: "July, midseason starts, and somewhere, I want to be there".
    Despite how BT tried to frame it in their initial tweets, it wasn't a decisive "Yes, I have a job and will be starting in July". Its simply that he wants to be back in a job by preseason.

This is the interview in question, I think. Quotes start 2:00 in.

Exact quote: "July, midseason starts, and somewhere, I want to be there".
    Despite how BT tried to frame it in their initial tweets, it wasn't a decisive "Yes, I have a job and will be starting in July". Its simply that he wants to be back in a job by preseason.

Didn't the guy that did the interview a few weeks ago say that most of what jose had said about his next job was off camera??

jayo26 wrote: »
    Didn't the guy that did the interview a few weeks ago say that most of what jose had said about his next job was off camera??

Iirc, it was that he wouldn't confirm any more on camera, and that off camera, the interviewer was told not to ask specifically about the United job or the Eva legal battle. As far as what else was said off camera, God knows...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Bit off topic but how has Rafael been getting on at Lyon? I haven't watched any French football this season at all.

• Advertisement

Iirc, it was that he wouldn't confirm any more on camera, and that off camera, the interviewer was told not to ask specifically about the United job or the Eva legal battle. As far as what else was said off camera, God knows...

Yhh just checked it was Matt Smith he said first of all that he had an interesting chat with jose and that he would start his next job in July.
    When Smith was asked more about it he said jose didn't say this on camera of course but mended was there too. So yhh your right enough he is making a bigger deal of it then he needs.

Bit off topic but how has Rafael been getting on at Lyon? I haven't watched any French football this season at all.

Can you really Judge him on French league? He is playing by all means but so is fabio for Cardiff and both are probably playing at similar level in terms of quality around them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Can you really Judge him on French league? He is playing by all means but so is fabio for Cardiff and both are probably playing at similar level in terms of quality around them.

Yep you can, we've seen enough of him over the past few years and know his quality, the only question mark was fitness which he seems to be answering.

Fergie thought Fabio was good enough start a CL final, I'd trust his judgement over Moyes & LVG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Fergie thought Fabio was good enough start a CL final, I'd trust his judgement over Moyes & LVG.

Pity a manager outside of the second tier in England can't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Haven't watched him but here are some stats on him.

http://uk.soccerway.com/players/rafael-pereira-da-silva/55715/

Started 14 league games been subbed out in 7 of them been subbed on twice. 16 Appearances out of 30 league games. 4 CL starts 2 subbed off 1 subbed on.

Has had 2 injuries in January knee/groin.

• Advertisement

Yep you can, we've seen enough of him over the past few years and know his quality, the only question mark was fitness which he seems to be answering.

Players regress tho fergie also thought anderson was good enough to start a champions league final. He also though Phil Jones was good enough to be future club captain.

I loved both rafael and fabio I thought they were going to be the future but injuries hampered them. Rafael had a couple good seasons for us but he was prone to mistakes and wasn't anywhere near his best the last 2 season for us.

As was said previously if these players are so good why are they playing in French league and championship, why is nani and rvp playing in Turkish league, why is Tom cleverly playing for everton. The simple truth is they are fergies players he knew how to get the best out of them and they didn't respond the same to new managers. Only one I have issues with is Chicharito.

Players regress tho fergie also thought anderson was good enough to start a champions league final. He also though Phil Jones was good enough to be future club captain.

I loved both rafael and fabio I thought they were going to be the future but injuries hampered them. Rafael had a couple good seasons for us but he was prone to mistakes and wasn't anywhere near his best the last 2 season for us.

As was said previously if these players are so good why are they playing in French league and championship, why is nani and rvp playing in Turkish league, why is Tom cleverly playing for everton. The simple truth is they are fergies players he knew how to get the best out of them and they didn't respond the same to new managers. Only one I have issues with is Chicharito.

I disagree with all of this.

Your writing off players because they don't play in the PL and in the same sentence saying Cleverley only plays for a PL club.

You don't think any of those players would have been useful under competent mangement ?

How did you feel about Smalling a season ago as most had written him off similarly to Jones ?

Lukaku and Stones only play for Everton.

Pity a manager outside of the second tier in England can't see it.

Do you rate any of those managers as highly as Fergie ?

Do you rate any of those managers as highly as Fergie ?

That's not the question that needs to be asked. Do you think Fergie is infallible?
    Do you think Fabio should be playing for a top club?

That's not the question that needs to be asked. Do you think Fergie is infallible?
    Do you think Fabio should be playing for a top club?

That's not the question that needs to be asked.

Fabio has played for a top club and did a very decent job for us including not looking out of place in a CL final.

Very very short memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

My boss is from Lyon and follows them and he was very excited initially about him but had said since that he is prone to errors and has his ups and downs. Sounds very familiar really. Overall I think he's fairly satisfied though haven't spoken about him much since they changed their manager before Christmas.

I disagree with all of this.

Your writing off players because they don't play in the PL and in the same sentence saying Cleverley only plays for a PL club.

You don't think any of those players would have been useful under competent mangement ?

How did you feel about Smalling a season ago as most had written him off similarly to Jones ?

Lukaku and Stones only play for Everton.

No im writing them off because they are not good enough to play for top teams and I don't think they would improve our first 11.

The difference with smalling is he was young he ran into fitness and proved himself and is still younger then most of them players let go.

Lukaku is only 22 and one of the best forwards on the league he will get a move to a top club soon and stones has alot to prove in my opinion.

Your Compairing two players under age of 23 that have showed signs of been world class with players that are mid 20s that have been let go from united and apart from Welbeck none have been signed by a top club.

• Site Banned Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Martypants1

Fergie didn't put Berbatov in that same squad.

No im writing them off because they are not good enough to play for top teams and I don't think they would improve our first 11.

The difference with smalling is he was young he ran into fitness and proved himself and is still younger then most of them players let go.

Lukaku is only 22 and one of the best forwards on the league he will get a move to a top club soon and stones has alot to prove in my opinion.

Your Compairing two players under age of 23 that have showed signs of been world class with players that are mid 20s that have been let go from united and apart from Welbeck none have been signed by a top club.

They all played for a top club and were let go by managers that didn't have a clue.

Jones and Smalling were under the exact same scrutiny last summer. Smalling has proven Fergie correct and only injury has stopped Jones.

Where did you stand on Smalling a season ago ?

Rafeal was very close to Zabaleta and better IMO so there was an argument for him bieng world class. Rafa is younger the Smalling ffs.

If people had 100k to put on Jose joining this summer or not what would you go for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    If people had 100k to put on Jose joining this summer or not what would you go for?

Yep without a doubt in my mind

They all played for a top club and were let go by managers that didn't have a clue.

Jones and Smalling were under the exact same scrutiny last summer. Smalling has proven Fergie correct and only injury has stopped Jones.

Where did you stand on Smalling a season ago ?

Rafeal was very close to Zabaleta and better IMO so there was an argument for him bieng world class. Rafa is younger the Smalling ffs.

My opinion was pretty much same as everyone he wasn't able stay fit enough. But smalling is a player that LVG kept so why does he come into it??

What I'm saying is that the players that were let go were all mid 20 and were not performing if im wrong then tell me which players have shown to be a top player since they left us?? Hernandez has in my opinion Welbeck has still suffered from more injuries none of the rest of them have proved they should Never of been let go.

That's not the question that needs to be asked.

Fabio has played for a top club and did a very decent job for us including not looking out of place in a CL final.

Very very short memories.

And so it's all the other managers that are foolish for missing out on this supreme talent, hidden away at Cardiff?

My opinion was pretty much same as everyone he wasn't able stay fit enough. But smalling is a player that LVG kept so why does he come into it??

What I'm saying is that the players that were let go were all mid 20 and were not performing if im wrong then tell me which players have shown to be a top player since they left us?? Hernandez has in my opinion Welbeck has still suffered from more injuries none of the rest of them have proved they should Never of been let go.

Smalling comes into it because you used Jones as an example of Fergie's making a poor judgement call. Jones has similar potential to Smalling but hasn't been able to stay fit. Smalling has proved Fergie was correct.

There's a strong argument for the players that have been let go over the past two season over what we have now.

And so it's all the other managers that are foolish for missing out on this supreme talent, hidden away at Cardiff?

Yeh something like that :)

astradave wrote: »
    Yep without a doubt in my mind

what's your reasons? 100% agree and hope your right just curious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Pheonix10 wrote:

No I wouldn't
    I'd put it on him but getting the job

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

What exactly do you mean by a "top player"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

every time i watch welbeck i can still not see why van gaal sold him. very frustrating watching him in an arsenal shirt, great player with bags of pace and power

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Fergie was infallible.

Imagine if Woody was actually looking at things totally different to everyone else:

Disappointing Champions League - bad injury crisis though
    In contention for 4th place in the league - not too far from 3rd. Above Liverpool and Chelsea
    Out in penalties in the league cup - these things happen
    Out in the europa league v Liverpool - Two close games where anything could happen. Away goal fcuked us up.
    Quarter finals of the FA Cup v a very good West Ham side having a great season.

He couldn't....could he?

bangkok wrote: »
    every time i watch welbeck i can still not see why van gaal sold him. very frustrating watching him in an arsenal shirt, great player with bags of pace and power

Agree or disagree, I can see why he went.

We had RVP, Rooney and Falcao who, at that time, no one would have put Welbeck past. He was at least 4th choice. IIRC, we offered him the loan to Spurs and he refused, insisting on being sold. Had he taken the loan, he'd probably have been playing consistently this season, but his own impatience played its part.

We had RVP, Rooney and Falcao who, at that time, no one would have put Welbeck past. He was at least 4th choice. IIRC, we offered him the loan to Spurs and he refused, insisting on being sold. Had he taken the loan, he'd probably have been playing consistently this season, but his own impatience played its part.

Why would any player want to play under the anti-football LVG?

He's probably relieved he got out when he did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

He couldn't....could he?

He sorta has to be, because there is nothing rational in his lack of action with regard to the manager. There must be some delusion in there somewhere.

Just on the Giggs question, there is one thing I can't look past. For the last 3 seasons we have underperformed badly on the field, the players have consistently looked disjointed and at times have struggled to do even the basics right, as well as looking like they were just thrown together on a Sunday morning. In short, they have looked to be badly coached.

Giggs has been one of the coaches for those 3 years.

That can't be ignored, there is no way he can walk away from those 3 years of poor coaching without taking some of the responsibility.

3 of the above who were all past their best and since 2 have left the club. The planning and "building" of the squad by LVG has been laughable

• Advertisement

bangkok wrote: »
    3 of the above who were all past their best and since 2 have left the club. The planning and "building" of the squad by LVG has been laughable

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Impatience ?

You must be joking, he was forced out by a clueless manager.

Welbeck was are best forward in Moyes season there's no hindsight about it.

How many times will hindsight be used to justify the shocking decision making at the club.

It made absolutely no sense to trade Welbeck given his ability and age up for a gamble on Falcao, the other two players were in or entering their 30's and your claiming you needed hindsight to see they would decline or move be moved on ?

how is it hindsight?

van persie 32, career dogged with injury and falcao 30, was a total gamble, just back from a career threatening injury with no guarantee he would ever get back to the level he was at.
    rooney 30 and as you know what a lot of posters here think about him.

so there was 3 players that were past their peak already and were never going to do what they did years previous. thats before we even add in selling hernandez along with welbeck, loaning out wilson and keane, it was crazy squad management

It boggles the mind how anyone can come here and claim hindsight with regards to how the sqaud had been managed.

Beggers belief.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement