Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Headshot wrote: »
    I really starting to dislike so many unwanted voices at utd. One man should be in charge and thats woodward and he should be the only person who decides on management.

Based on some decisions were seen from Woodward I'm happy there are other voices. Ultimately he will make the call but there are huge question marks and his decision making when it comes to football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

A win today or we can say bye bye to top four and could realistically see Liverpool go ahead of us depending on goals scored, let in. It's either going to be a lovely day or a horrible horrible day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

I can understand the people at united being torn on jose. Personally i wouldn't want him as manager( cos i don't like him) but at the same time i think united need him because of the way things are there now. It is no longer about steadying the ship, more about stopping it from sinking and jose is one of the few i believe can do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

You swear that if we don't get CL football we will not exist next season or something.

We survived far worse in 70s and 80s.

It's a blip and while we have underachived greatly it happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You swear that if we don't get CL football we will not exist next season or something.

You are absolutely right.

'Cause football and the business of football is exactly the same as it was back in the 70's & 80's

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Kane might be better signing for United.

I think to get the best from Lukaku then the team has to be built around his skills. I think Kane might be better with a group of players that have a more rounded game plan.

But I don't think United should be after either this summer. The following year yes.

Within the premier league players like Mahrez and Barkley would be better right now.

Mahrez: When the team is so short on class in wide positions its the key area to recruit in the attack. He would bring skill, some pace, goals and assists.

United already have Martial and Rooney, a back up player is needed more than an expensive signing like a Kane or Lukaku.

Barkley: Would bring energy, strength and from midfield/attack. In the premier league players who can break into the box on the counter, get into the box when the ball goes wide or arrive onto things a little later like Scholes used to will win games. United have one midfield player like that in Herrera but need to bring a little more power and strength to their play.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

A blip is when it happens once.
    Twice in three years is the beginning of a pattern.

W don't have a God given right to getting into the CL and when it happens repeatedly, it can become the norm. Displeasure with a situation is how you try to fight that norm becoming established.

Still...silver lining is that without CL, Jose would have a cleaner run at the league next year with less games...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    A blip is when it happens once.
    Twice in three years is the beginning of a pattern.

W don't have a God given right to getting into the CL and when it happens repeatedly, it can become the norm. Displeasure with a situation is how you try to fight that norm becoming established.

Still...silver lining is that without CL, Jose would have a cleaner run at the league next year with less games...

I don't have a problem with people being upset and totally Agree people should expect better.

I'm more talking about Doomsday talk.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You are absolutely right.

'Cause football and the business of football is exactly the same as it was back in the 70's & 80's

Thank you

And may I say it's great we are doing financially and commercially then ever before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    As good as manager he was, he made some terrible appointments/recommendations in the past. Moyes to United, McCleish to Villa and there must be few more Scottish managers to decent teams.

He's great for looking after people he likes in recommending them for coaching positions or helping players find new clubs but I'm sure he himself is wary of taking a recommendation from someone who is too close to the person, being that he grossly oversells friends himself.

I think Fergie is one of those "do as I say not as I do" types, in that he would like to project a certain image but in practice he wouldn't behave that way at all.

Like advocating giving managers years to get it right. He can say that when he's not responsible for the outcome, as Woodward is now, but Fergie has shown utter ruthlessness with people who aren't performing well, when it's his neck on the line.

Thank you

And may I say it's great we are doing financially and commercially then ever before.

Ah yes, hubris.

We are doing great financially due to the the base we have built up over the last 10 or so years. Do you really think fans in Asia will care about Man Utd the Captial One Cup quarter finalists and EPL 8th place team? (or whatever next season brings).

Top players will go to top teams, and those teams will generate the most income enabling them to get the top players and round we go. It is actually very difficult to break into the top and difficult to fall out of it due to the financial set-up of the top leagues but Utd are making a very good fist of it.

Ah yes, hubris.

We are doing great financially due to the the base we have built up over the last 10 or so years. Do you really think fans in Asia will care about Man Utd the Captial One Cup quarter finalists and EPL 8th place team? (or whatever next season brings).

Top players will go to top teams, and those teams will generate the most income enabling them to get the top players and round we go. It is actually very difficult to break into the top and difficult to fall out of it due to the financial set-up of the top leagues but Utd are making a very good fist of it.

10 years? Make that 25

If you're going me smart ass make sure you know what you're talking about first.

Next....

So now you are nitpicking on phrases. 19 years, 15 years, 25 years it really doesn't matter, the point is that fans around the world support Utd because of success, not any inbuilt loyalty. You just have to look at the extra fans that City and Chelsea have in Ireland since they got in their money to see evidence of that.

But back to the comment you posted.

You seem to be of the opinion that it doesn't matter that we will miss out of CL, since we were crap in 70's and 80's and were able to come back from that.

I merely made the point that that was a flawed point given the changed nature of football, namely that football is now much more a business.

You have not given me any argument as to why your comment is not completely irrelevant and showing a massive lack of understanding of the modern world or football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

So now you are nitpicking on phrases. 19 years, 15 years, 25 years it really doesn't matter

Especially since that "base" is not built on 25 years either, its built as much on Busby, Charlton, Best and the sixties every bit as much as the recent successes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

So now you are nitpicking on phrases. 19 years, 15 years, 25 years it really doesn't matter, the point is that fans around the world support Utd because of success, not any inbuilt loyalty. You just have to look at the extra fans that City and Chelsea have in Ireland since they got in their money to see evidence of that.

But back to the comment you posted.

You seem to be of the opinion that it doesn't matter that we will miss out of CL, since we were crap in 70's and 80's and were able to come back from that.

I merely made the point that that was a flawed point given the changed nature of football, namely that football is now much more a business.

You have not given me any argument as to why your comment is not completely irrelevant and showing a massive lack of understanding of the modern world or football.

If anything, the business end of it softens the impact of missing out on CL nowadays. The game has actually changed the opposite way in which you seem to be making out.

For a club like United it would take a few years of consistently finishing outside the CL places to have a noticeable effect.

• Advertisement

If anything, the business end of it softens the impact of missing out on CL nowadays. The game has actually changed the opposite way in which you seem to be making out.

For a club like United it would take a few years of consistently finishing outside the CL places to have a noticeable effect.

I completely agree, the whole EPL is based around protecting the interests of the top teams, and the expanded nature of the CL away from just the champions if each country is also on that basis.

For example, Leicster winning the EPL this year is not any guarantee of their future. As Liverpool found out a few years ago, one year is not enough to change how your club is viewed. Just because they came 2nd didn't suddenly mean top players would flock to them. In fact that summer Utd (out of the CL) signed higher profile players.

But missing out on CL for the 2nd time in 3 years coupled with the failure in this years competition is a very worrisome trend and if it continues there is little doubt that companies like Addidas will not offer us €75M per annum. Extend that out across all areas of the business, from the noodle sponsors to the match day tickets and the financial might of Utd is not guaranteed. In addition to the loss of the revenue, that revenue will likely go to a direct competitor so increasing the impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Missing out on CL football will also reduce our seeding in the group stages should we get in the following year. Can't see us progressing all that well if we end up as 3rd or 4th seeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

I completely agree, the whole EPL is based around protecting the interests of the top teams, and the expanded nature of the CL away from just the champions if each country is also on that basis.

For example, Leicster winning the EPL this year is not any guarantee of their future. As Liverpool found out a few years ago, one year is not enough to change how your club is viewed. Just because they came 2nd didn't suddenly mean top players would flock to them. In fact that summer Utd (out of the CL) signed higher profile players.

But missing out on CL for the 2nd time in 3 years coupled with the failure in this years competition is a very worrisome trend and if it continues there is little doubt that companies like Addidas will not offer us €75M per annum. Extend that out across all areas of the business, from the noodle sponsors to the match day tickets and the financial might of Utd is not guaranteed. In addition to the loss of the revenue, that revenue will likely go to a direct competitor so increasing the impact.

Ah no, not the noodle sponsors :(

I reckon there's a few more years to get back to winning ways before it gets to that point. The OP was specifically referring to this season anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭thomasj

I still think selling nani was a huge mistake

One of a list of players we shouldn't have sold. LVG has set us back years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

thomasj wrote: »
    One of a list of players we shouldn't have sold. LVG has set us back years.

Or has set us up for years. While his singings havnt performed to the level required, another manger may do much better with them.

Memphis and Martial have the potential to form 2/3 of a devastating front three.

Next year all our signings should be settled and ready to go. Can appreciate the pressure some of them are under with the expectations and then not being able to out it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

I have a funny feeling Memphis will be a totally changed player next season, he just looks lost this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Ah yes, hubris.

Meh. Biggest team in the NBA? Biggest team in the NHL? Biggest team in the NFL? All nobodies in terms of playoff progression this and the last couple of seasons. For what its worth I'm going for the Knicks, Maple Leafs and Cowboys. Obviously it's slightly different due to the CL being there but when you have a large base it's hard to lose it over 1 generation. No matter how bad it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Why the assumption that United's Asian fans are any less committed to the club than, say, its Irish ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Win today and we`ll be 1 point behind 4th with 8 games to go, lose and it will 7 points which is pretty much game over. Cannot afford to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    As good as manager he was, he made some terrible appointments/recommendations in the past. Moyes to United, McCleish to Villa and there must be few more Scottish managers to decent teams.

I suspect when he reccomends managers for other teams he's often doing it more for the manager's benefit than the club's.

Moyes was a disaster, but at the time I think it was a reasonable shout. Same with LVG.

Hoping for a utd win today, although hard to see it.

But regardless of the result IMO it won't any difference to top 4 for us. LVG may well get a result today but all evidence suggests that we will simply drop points later anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,755 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I can't wait for LVG to leave United. He is Goldman sachs' vampire squid, and in this case sucking the life out of United fans until we have nothing left.
    I usually am really looking forward to a United game, and I will always watch, but under LVG he has turned it into a chore, and it is draining.

All that said, a win today would be huge, another loss and we can forget about top 4. A draw would keep a glimmer of light going but still wouldn't bet on us to get top 4 if we did draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

dont know what to expect today, you know things are bad when its the manchester derby and their is zero excitement in the build up. maybe a boring 0-0??

Just realised there's two weeks till the next game. Loads of time to wallow in misery after today's match :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Anyone know when the West Ham FA Cup replay is on. Google says this coming Tuesday but no official sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Just realised there's two weeks till the next game. Loads of time to wallow in misery after today's match :P

Lose today and it's time to hop on to the Euro 2016 bandwagon early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

Today has the capacity to be extremely unpleasant for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Dunno how I feel about today
    Lose and lvg gets his walking papers
    Win and all is OK until the next match and we lose to an inferior quality team
    Its the total lack of consistency that's ruined his time in charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Cookie_Dough

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Anyone know when the West Ham FA Cup replay is on. Google says this coming Tuesday but no official sources.

April 6th as far as I know. Think next week international break

Quandary wrote: »
    Today has the capacity to be extremely unpleasant for us.

Only hope is that City have been pretty dire in the last few games, and have been rocky since the Pep announcement. God knows what way today goes.
    brinty wrote: »
    Dunno how I feel about today
    Lose and lvg gets his walking papers

God, I'd love to think so, but I think he's going nowhere till he gets knocked from the FA Cup and the Top 4 is mathematically impossible.
    Sacking him after today and giving Jose the two weeks international break to move into the office would be a dream. But I think the reality is we're stuck with him for 10/11 more games...

Liverpool 2-0 up. Means they are on even points with us, same number of games played. We have a +2 goal difference that could evaporate today...

Liverpool could go ahead of us today :eek:

Liverpool 2-0 up. Means they are on even points with us, same number of games played. We have a +2 goal difference that could evaporate today...

+1 difference now... :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Klopp has shown how much nonsense Van Gaal has sold us, needing two years for his philosophy and it's still shít

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭Quandary

bangkok wrote: »
    Liverpool could go ahead of us today :eek:

Klopp is starting to build momentum now. They also have a game in hand. Unfortunately I feel it is only a matter of time before Liverpool are looking at us in the rear view mirror as we slide further and further down the table.

It will be a bitter bitter pill to swallow.

Klopp has shown how much nonsense Van Gaal has sold us, needing two years for his philosophy and it's still shít

raging we didnt get klopp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Really agree with ya here I said it before and even tho i slthink klopp has a lot more to prove when you see managers like him and pardew last year going into a club and changing there fortunes straight away it makes crap of needing two years to change a teams philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

This could be a very bad day. Not looking too good now anyway.

rooney just got off team bus........hardly fit??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

he hasn't been fit to line up for us in some time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

he hasn't been fit to line up for us in some time

Saucer of milk for you sir

April 6th as far as I know. Think next week international break

Cheers for that! No football this week so :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

xtal191 wrote: »

Very curious to see Schneiderlein and Carrick together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Lost in translation addition to the LVG philosophy, you do bring a one legged man to an ass kicking contest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement