Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2016 - Mod Warning link in OP 20/3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

No reason to - we could have hired Jose, and moved on with the season rather than amble towards a mediocre season.

I dont think he was available to start, I'm sure it will all come out in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

jayo26 wrote: »
    This could also easily happen under lvg when rooney comes back. The boy has put himself in a great position anyway.

if he keeps scoring and we go on a winning streak he wont be dropped. van Gaal is really impressed with him, great attitude as well

bangkok wrote: »
    if he keeps scoring and we go on a winning streak he wont be dropped. van Gaal is really impressed with him, great attitude as well

The same could Be said for jose too he can't drop him if he keeps scoring. It is genuinely exciting to see the bunch of kids around the first team long may it continue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

No reason to - we could have hired Jose, and moved on with the season rather than amble towards a mediocre season.

There just has to be a reason why Jose can't come in right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

There just has to be a reason why Jose can't come in right now.

There is: the club don't want him and are going to stick with Van Gaal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The same could Be said for jose too he can't drop him if he keeps scoring. It is genuinely exciting to see the bunch of kids around the first team long may it continue.

look how mourinho 'managed' a young Lukaku. He doesn't really want to develop youth players, he wants instant success. That would be my main worry for getting jose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

look how mourinho 'managed' a young Lukaku. He doesn't really want to develop youth players, he wants instant success. That would be my main worry for getting jose

Me too but right now we need instant success. I really really don't want Jose, but like a visit to the dentist sometimes you need the person you least want.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

When did "develop kids" become a higher priority than "winning stuff"? Have seen so many people imply these priorities. Get the winning sorted first, then worry bout developing youths.

http://www.givemesport.com/517454-jose-mourinho-proves-critics-wrong-with-youth-policy

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    When did "develop kids" become a higher priority than "winning stuff"? Have seen so many people imply these priorities. Get the winning sorted first, then worry bout developing youths.

you can easily do both, but Mourinho only cares about winning. that is the main worry and always has been one of the negatives on his head along with his behaviour.

Say for example we signed Ibrahimovic next season along with Aubameyang where does that leave rashford as we will also have rooney and martial?

zerks wrote: »

lol at that article, listing Petr Cech, Joe Cole and Arjen Robben as youth players with Chelsea and Ozil and di Maria at Real Madrid!!!

youth development is going down to an u16 or 18 game seeing a player you like, keep an eye on him a few years, get him training with first team, give him a chance if he is good enough in a cup game and develop from there, not spending 32m on eden Hazard who is also mentioned and claim that is "youth development"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Jayop wrote: »
    I wonder is there anything in Pep's contract that they have to have top 4 for him to join. Would be hilarious if they missed out on 4th and then Pep decided to manage somewhere else.

I think Shearer mentioned that alright on MotD
    Imagine Pep's reaction if they finished 5th and out of the Champions Legaue

Icestorm.gif

That article is largely bollocks reeking of someone having an opinion and going looking for things to back up that viewpoint. Some of the players mentioned to show how Mourinho "developed" youth are laughable. From a lot of them being established young first team players when he inherited or bought them to others being given a few games and never having been heard of again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

So since last week the arguement that Jose doesn't play young players has changed to he doesn't bring through youths.

Jaysus

astradave wrote: »
    So since last week the arguement that Jose doesn't play young players has changed to he doesn't bring through youths.

Jaysus

Erm no. The argument is and has always been that he doesn't care about the clubs youth policy and bringing players through the ranks of the academy.

I don't think anyone ever said that Mourinho would be reluctant to go spend £50m on a 19 year old superstarlet.

Footage from the Tunnel Cam in the Ethiad before the game yesterday, I got a chuckle out of Giggs hitting Brian Kidd with his ball bag...

https://youtu.be/zNEd5pPj4U4?t=281

That article is largely bollocks reeking of someone having an opinion and going looking for things to back up that viewpoint. Some of the players mentioned to show how Mourinho "developed" youth are laughable. From a lot of them being established young first team players when he inherited or bought them to others being given a few games and never having been heard of again.

€60 million on Martial to United ring a bell?

Schneiderlins missus in the away end yesterday.

326E866C00000578-3502898-image-a-73_1458574927292.jpg

• Advertisement

Yes but another way of looking at is look at how chelsea developed youngsters they don't seem to worry but he did put that big Bull of a defender in their lineup at start of season.

I should think If jose does get the united job part of his requirement will be to bring threw youngsters you would hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,597 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Schneiderlins missus in the away end yesterday.

326E866C00000578-3502898-image-a-73_1458574927292.jpg

If ever there was a picture that needs photoshopping this is it.....;)

€60 million on Martial to United ring a bell?

Is VanGaal being congratulated on bringing Martial through or developing him??

When you blow the wad on a player who's already playing first team football at the highest level regardless of age you can't then backslap about developing him. I think that much is pretty obvious.

Oh please oh please oh please....

Jaysus

was always to do with club youth policy

• Advertisement

Oh please oh please oh please....

It could be a case that de gea blames madrid for the mess up and he has no interest so they are putting it out there early that they don't need him.

Bit like us with pep we know he is going city so we put it out there that we never wanted him.

It could be a case that de gea blames madrid for the mess up and he has no interest so they are putting it out there early that they don't need him.

Bit like us with pep we know he is going city so we put it out there that we never wanted him.

Have seen many Real fans saying they don't want him either, but it's cause Navas has been brilliant this year, so they don't need De Gea. Either way, everyone is happy :P

Have seen many Real fans saying they don't want him either, but it's cause Navas has been brilliant this year, so they don't need De Gea. Either way, everyone is happy :P

Yep unless barca decide they need a new keeper ;)

• jayo26 wrote: »
    Yep unless barca decide they need a new keeper ;)

Barca are broke

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Barca are broke

Dont be silly Qatar has lots more money left.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Barca are broke

Qatar will increase the supply of oil and gas and Barca will have plenty of money...
    Win win all round as everyone else gets cheaper fuel at the pumps ;)

stankratz wrote: »
    Footage from the Tunnel Cam in the Ethiad before the game yesterday, I got a chuckle out of Giggs hitting Brian Kidd with his ball bag...

I got a chuckle out of the state of Nasri :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

How can anyone be worried about a manager wanting "instant success"?

This place can be as weird as fûck sometimes.

adox wrote: »
    How can anyone be worried about a manager wanting "instant success"?

This place can be as weird as fûck sometimes.

Wont someone think of the Children :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

I got a chuckle out of the state of Nasri :pac:

Big thick head on Valencia talking to Pellegrini :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

stankratz wrote: »

Did I miss some falling out with Brian Kidd? Given he was assistant back when Giggs was a teen, that didn't look very friendly a nudge at all!

Billy86 wrote: »
    Did I miss some falling out with Brian Kidd? Given he was assistant back when Giggs was a teen, that didn't look very friendly a nudge at all!

Not sure why giggs would have fallen out with him but I know fergie destroyed kidd in his first autobiography.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Giggs hitting Kidd with the balls is all a bit...

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Rojo is best mates with everyone by the looks of it.

J. Marston wrote: »
    <3 Gianluca.

What did he say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

What did he say.

Mourinho is United's next manager, more or less.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Mourinho is United's next manager, more or less.

Nothing new then ha. That man will never be listened to again if he gets it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Mourinho plays youth if they're good enough, just like any other manager

Mourinho plays youth if they're good enough, just like any other manager

That's not enough. You can't expect a 17 yo from the academy to be good enough or better immediately that some buy from Spain at 24. You have to make them better. You do that by giving them chances, helping them, working with them, encouraging the entire academy and give them belief by playing them which in turn will give them more of a target to aim for.

Mourinho in all his jobs after Porto has failed to do any of that in a real manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Nothing new then ha. That man will never be listened to again if he gets it wrong.

He's gotten things wrong before with respect to United. I'm pretty sure he jumped on the Garay and Gaitan bandwagons.

I think I've said this before but IMO he has forged such a good reputation as a journalist from lots of intelligent guesses based on other reputable reports but has been caught out a few times which goes unnoticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,384 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

That's not enough. You can't expect a 17 yo from the academy to be good enough or better immediately that some buy from Spain at 24. You have to make them better. You do that by giving them chances, helping them, working with them, encouraging the entire academy and give them belief by playing them which in turn will give them more of a target to aim for.

Mourinho in all his jobs after Porto has failed to do any of that in a real manner.
    inter rarely brought through players before or after him, and Madrid operate a galactico policy so I don't think using his short tenure at either club is fair to use as an example.

As for Chelsea, what players have come through while he wasn't at the club? Reports at the time suggested Lukaku wanted to be first choice, iirc.

Looking at our own club people laud LVG for giving youth a chance but he has only done so when basically given no other choice because like 50 first teasers and backups were out injured. He had scope to give young players a chance so much this season but, for example, stuck with Rooney, martial and sometimes fellaini or Memphis up front 100% of the time rather than play Wilson, Keane or rashford. Could have rested an underperforming mata for pereira countless times.

Maybe Mourinho would have rotated more and given more of a chance, or fine the exact same and hot lauded for doing little too.

Blatter wrote: »
    He's gotten things wrong before with respect to United. I'm pretty sure he jumped on the Garay and Gaitan bandwagons.

I think I've said this before but IMO he has forged such a good reputation as a journalist from lots of intelligent guesses based on other reputable reports but has been caught out a few times which goes unnoticed.

Im not so familiar with him but he hasna serious amount of egg heading for his face if he is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The whole point of a youth setup is to give local lads a chance, there's only 4 or 5 players in the under 21s now who were actually born locally to Manchester. If the 16,17, 18 year old is good enough they'll make it through eventually, we must have one of the best funded youth setups there is, they'll get every opportunity but having the natural talent can't be trained.

How many players have been good enough for the first team in the last decade? The only players who've made 10 first team appearances in that time are Gibson, Evans, Cleverley, Welbeck, Lingard and McNair and we lost the two best we had Pogba and Pique

Mourinho's youth policy is perfectly fine for me because it's no different to what we have going on now, a couple of Manchester born kids will get chances, 90% of the time it's going to be more productive to buy teenagers from across the world instead. The alternative is to become Athletic Bilbao and only play Manchester kids and most likely get relegated

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement