Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway East

Options
  • 21-02-2016 1:40am

Just posting this because I'm suspicious of a thread started on only one candidate by a person with 4 posts to his name, who's not even an East Galwegian.

So, who do you think will get in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

It's a tough one, my gut feeling is that it will be one FF, one FG and one independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Sligo eye wrote: »
    It's a tough one, my gut feeling is that it will be one FF, one FG and one independent.

Are there not four seats?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Are there not four seats?

Nope. 3 seats.

Canney, Connaughton, and then either Rabbitte or Cannon for the final seat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,563 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Nope. 3 seats.

Canney, Connaughton, and then either Rabbitte or Cannon for the final seat :)

I think it will be Rabbitte, don't know enough about Canney to make a prediction, where is he based?

I think it will be Rabbitte, don't know enough about Canney to make a prediction, where is he based?

Based in Belclare (near Tuam). He will take a lot of Keaveney's first preference votes IMO.

• Advertisement

Anyone listen to the Galway Bay FM debate for the past hour?

Anyone listen to the Galway Bay FM debate for the past hour?

Who was on it?

Who was on it?

All of the Galway East candidates.

All of the Galway East candidates.

Would liked to have heard that, know who I'm giving no 1 to but still undecided about the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bagels

There's a FF and a FG quota in this constituency so we should see a FF'er and a FG'er elected, unless inter-party transfers collapses. Canney should take a seat too leaving us with 1 FF, 1 FG, 1 Independent (but actually from the FF gene pool).
    As Canney, Connaughton and Keaveney are fishing for votes from the same general area, its very unlikely we'll see the three of them elected.
    I reckon it'll be Canney, Connaughton, Rabbitte or the other scenario is Canney, Cannon, Keaveney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

bagels wrote: »
    There's a FF and a FG quota in this constituency so we should see a FF'er and a FG'er elected, unless inter-party transfers collapses. Canney should take a seat too leaving us with 1 FF, 1 FG, 1 Independent (but actually from the FF gene pool).
    As Canney, Connaughton and Keaveney are fishing for votes from the same general area, its very unlikely we'll see the three of them elected.
    I reckon it'll be Canney, Connaughton, Rabbitte or the other scenario is Canney, Cannon, Keaveney.

Very hard to see keaveney getting in. He won't be transfer friendly at all. Those who support Fine Gael and labour won't really want to vote for him. Rabbitte is far more likely to take the Fianna Fáil seat (if there is to be a Ff seat).

I think connaughtons name will just about get him in. I think Fine Gael have a chance of 2 seats here but it's very much dependent on how rabbitte does.

Voted there about half an hour ago, good turnout up this end so far.

Canney did very well, Cannon looks strong as well for the second seat.

I'm guessing Rabbitte for the third one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I'm surprised rabbitte did so well. But then, I'm surprised Fianna Fáil did so well throughout the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I voted for Canney, which I hadn't planned to. On the journey from Dublin to Galway on Friday, I looked at all their websites. Connaughton's was just a FG page with nothing much on it. Others had regular press releases throughout January and February but not much before that. Canney's had regular updates (four or five a month) on what's happening in the constituency.

His policies are also fairly similar in some areas to the Social Democrats, who I canvassed for in Dublin. I gave Lorraine Higgins my number two, which I also hadn't planned to, but by the time I worked backwards through candidates I definitely didn't want in, she ended up closer to the top than expected.

Advertisement