Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build me a computer :-)

Options
  • 21-02-2016 3:48am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I have decided to change my trusty Medion Computer which is now 6 years old. I am not a real gamer and would not need a gaming pc. I just want something fast and capable of running Firefox well and I do sometimes do light video editing using PowerDirector. I am presuming the onboard graphics of the Motherboard should suffice.

I have upgraded my Medion last year with a SSD and 2TB WD Blue Hard Drive both of which are less than 4 months old, these would be swapped into the newer machine.

I will need a case with front USB 3.0
    Motherboard
    PSU
    DVD Burner
    16GB RAM
    CPU, I'm thinking either i5 or i7, I have an i7-5500U @ 2.4Ghz in an ASUS Laptop I got before Christmas and it is a real nice piece of kit and very fast.

Last time I did something like this was back in 2012 when I built a HTPC and ordered from HardwareVersand with some help from fellow boardsies. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056661742

I will not order from HardwareVersand this time and will probably go with either Komplett or someother company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How much are you willing to spend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

€500 - €600

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i5 6600 €250
    H170 board €80
    16gb ram €100
    Case €100
    300w PSU €50

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That i7-5500u is a slow mobile dual core, so the desktop equivalent would be something pretty basic to be honest. A desktop i7 is no relation to it whatsoever, and would be about 4x as fast.

The build suggested above would be super fast, but for your uses, you could get away with far cheaper and still be far ahead of your laptop. He has just gone out of his way to spend every penny of your budget.

i5 4460 €180
    H81 board €50
    16gb ram €90
    Case €50
    300w PSU €30

Would still run rings around your laptop.

If your Medion is only six years old chances are it doesn't even really need a significant upgrade unless it was very low end when you bought it. Minor upgrades should suffice. What's the spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Posted before I saw the budget tbh, but yeah I overpriced most of it. Terrors build is probably more than you need OP

• Advertisement

If your Medion is only six years old chances are it doesn't even really need a significant upgrade unless it was very low end when you bought it. Minor upgrades should suffice. What's the spec?

The Medion is running:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5Ghz
    4GB of RAM
    250GB Samsung SSD
    2TB WD Blue purchased last week

Its actually was running perfectly but has a problem which I can't seem to fix. Last August it ran ChkDSK at startup which wiped out over 70GB of stored files, I backed up all 1.5tb of files and data before formatting. I also swapped up from a 120GB SSD to a 250GB SSD at the time. Installed Windows 10 and hated it so switched back to Windows 7 after a week.

Everything was fine until last week again when the computer failed to get past loading windows and would not boot until I removed the 2TB drive.

I ordered a new 2TB drive incase it was the drive and installed it. But 3 days later the same issue which has been happening again with the new drive, I changed the Sata cables just incase. Sometimes when I start the computer at the moment, it sticks on the Intel Logo, other times it gets past the Intel but fails to boot into the bios. It took me three attempts tonight to get the computer to start thus I'm thinking I'll just build a new one so as to have something Reliable.

I know a small bit about computers as I did the CompuTIA A+ back in 2012 but had to give up the course after just a month because I just couldn't manage the commute of 2.5hrs driving each day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Z170 and 6600K are absolute waste of money for you. Swap those for the H81 and 4460 Terrorfirmer recommended and save yourself almost €200.

Advertisement