Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternatives to chicken fillets & mince

• 21-02-2016 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I'm fed up of constantly ending up with the above. I've always great intentions of getting a roast pork, or lamb shanks or something different but just for convenience its always curries, stirfry, chillie con carnes and spag bol I end up with.

I'd like to peel and prepare veg & potato the night before, and slow roast the meat in a roasting tin along with it for 2-3 hours.

Is there anything in particular that would work well like this? Appreciate any suggestions, I'm not a bit of a fussy eater either, so any ideas welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Leg of lamb is excellent for this. Cut little slits into the meats and put slivers of garlic and some rosemary into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Some saturday nights I throw a big lump of beef into the slow cooker and surround it with a few bits like garlic, ginger etc (just for the flavour to infuse tbh).

Next day the beef is amazing and I use some of the juice as a base for gravy and we all eat like pigs and love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Beef ribs are great for a long, slow cook. Colour the meat in a pan then remove. Fry a thinly sliced onion, some garlic and ginger until the onion is soft. Add back the beef ribs then add 5 spice powder, soy sauce, shaoshing rice wine and beef stock and cook covered for a couple of hours. Serve with steamed broccoli and plain rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Leg of lamb is excellent for this. Cut little slits into the meats and put slivers of garlic and some rosemary into it.

A Shoulder of lamb is even better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Minder wrote: »
    Beef ribs are great for a long, slow cook. Colour the meat in a pan then remove. Fry a thinly sliced onion, some garlic and ginger until the onion is soft. Add back the beef ribs then add 5 spice powder, soy sauce, shaoshing rice wine and beef stock and cook covered for a couple of hours. Serve with steamed broccoli and plain rice.

Did someone mentioned beef ribs?

25226197190_28df46d2b9_c.jpg

Picked up these bad boys in the English Market this morning...now if I can just cooked them!!

Loire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Get adventurous with a Korean Kalbi recipe maybe? Whatever you chose, they look amazing. Looking forward to seeing what you do on the HWIHFDLN thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

Some saturday nights I throw a big lump of beef into the slow cooker and surround it with a few bits like garlic, ginger etc (just for the flavour to infuse tbh).

Next day the beef is amazing and I use some of the juice as a base for gravy and we all eat like pigs and love it.

Do you add any liquid? If so, how much, please?

I seem to recall my Uncle telling me he cooked joints of beef in a slow cooker without adding any liquid, to be eaten cold in sandwiches etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Lissavane wrote: »
    Do you add any liquid? If so, how much, please?

I seem to recall my Uncle telling me he cooked joints of beef in a slow cooker without adding any liquid, to be eaten cold in sandwiches etc..

No liquid.

I line the base of the slow cooker with a sliced onion, put a big lump of beef on top, surround the beef with garlic, ginger, tomatoes (maybe a lime if I have one). I generally season the top of the beef with black pepper.

Then I just stick the lid on and let it cook on low overnight. The lid seals in the moisture so as everything cooks moisture is released and thats enough in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

No liquid.

I line the base of the slow cooker with a sliced onion, put a big lump of beef on top, surround the beef with garlic, ginger, tomatoes (maybe a lime if I have one). I generally season the top of the beef with black pepper.

Then I just stick the lid on and let it cook on low overnight. The lid seals in the moisture so as everything cooks moisture is released and thats enough in it.

Will give it a go then. Thank you!

Advertisement