Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OFP payment and working

Options
  • 21-02-2016 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I would like to start a small online business selling homemade beauty products on websites like ebay, while getting one parent family payment. I don't expect to make much from this for the first year or so, just a little extra to supplement my income.

So let's say I earn €100 one week and just €20 the next week, for example, do I have to let social welfare know my earnings every single week or only when it goes over what I am allowed to earn before deductions?

Also, do I have to register for tax with a small business like this? How do I go about doing this?

I really don't want to put a foot wrong with social welfare but I don't want to be relying on benefits forever so really want to start this business with a view to making an actual income from it down the line so I can come off benefits.

I would appreciate any advice from the knowledgeable people who post here. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

If you are self employed you should register with revenue. With regard to social welfare you need to let them know that you a commencing self employment. They will either project earnings for twelve months which will be space out over each week or at the beginning they may deem you nil means from self employment and review your situation after 6 months.

Advertisement