Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build a Garden Border/Raised Bed

Options
  • 21-02-2016 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am planning a raised bed along a wall.

I have got hold of used scaffolding planks. I plan to make it so that the height is the width of 2 planks.

What is the best way to build this. I will have to screw the boards into treated stakes, and hammer the stakes into the ground?
    What kind of screws would I need?

I got stakes like these so I guess I can just cut them to match desired height.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

make sure you line the inside with plastic to stop the wood rotting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

make sure you line the inside with plastic to stop the wood rotting

won't prevent rot starting from outside ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

What's the best way to attach the planks together? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think that those stakes are not thick enough and will rot very quickly. I suggest you use 2x4" treated timber and set it into the ground first. a post on the corners and about every 4 to 6 foot along. Make sure they are vertical in both directions. Drill and screw the planks to the inside of these posts - the pressure will be coming from the soil in the trough so the planks need support on the outsides. If you have enough uprights you will not need to fasten the planks together. You could put a flat timber on top of the posts and planks to tidy it when you have completed the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Should I remove the metal strips from the scaffolding planks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭the goon

Sorry to jump on this thread but am also planning on building a raised bed. Would less than 2 inch tihick wood be any good, or would it rot very quickly?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement