Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodderbrook Ballycullen

Options
  • 21-02-2016 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Does anyone know much about Dodderbrook? The area seems nice and the three bed seems spacious but I've no idea what cost will be.

Does anyone have any feedback on the area and/or developer involved?

< MOD SNIP: Please do not try to get around the rules about posting links >

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I know it very well (cycle by it a lot). Wouldn't be sure about the area based on what I've seen while cycling out there (a few joy riders). When is it launching?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Launching Spring/Summer 2016.
    That's a fairly quiet area; though I have seen joyriders-in fact, one nearly cut me up on the very road where they're building, only last week.

Apart from that, it seems nice enough and the houses look great; they're really getting them up fast.
    Every week I drive past and the show-houses look near to completion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

It looks nice enough - I live just down the road & yes the road gets the odd joy rider at times but generally quiet. The one thing that would concern me is the Dodder being on 3 sides per the plans which could be a potential for flooding. They don't seem to have advertised any prices. Got a leaflet in the door saying they launch in March/April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

The garden space looks tiny.

I live along that road and there is the odd joyrider, nothing major.

Id be interested to see what they are priced at. There is no infrastructure at all along there though, itd be a long walk to a bus. And currently the buses refuse to come along there as there is nowhere for them to turn.

Ive just looked at the specifications on their website, there is barely room to park a small car in the front driveways, and currently there is already an issue locally with parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DilemmaDan

So you reckon the build speed is an issue? We've viewed a few mid 2000's houses that seem like they were built quickly and don't have a great build quality (Modern 1970's feel!).

We've looked in Firehouse a little but prices for anything decent seem insane given the amount of work we'd want to do and we're not keen on Old Bawn / Aylesbury (Wife's family are in Knocklyon but we can forget about buying there). Might take a drive this evening to look at them.

The website says driveways fit 2 cars and the gardens look fairly standard by the standards of other new builds we've seen.

Will contact the agent to enquire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭hotshots85

I live close and would echo the flooding comments, built on an an old gaa field and if I remember right it was pretty prone to flooding. Worth investigating

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dantheman89

I have been chatting to the estate agent and my solicitor and the main conclusions I have come to are:

- The 3beds will be priced around 335k.
    - Show house will be ready in 2/3 weeks.
    - Phase 1 will be ready by Nov 2016.
    - Remaining phases (changed from the additional plans on the site) will not be ready until well into 2017.

My partner and I are interested and will make a decision when we see the show house. We live locally and like the area. It seems that they have sacrificed the gardens for a bigger house which I don't mind. It's very hard to tell some things with plans also. For anyone interested, have a look on the 3D Design Bureau's website. These designed the visualisations and have some interior pictures of the houses that are not available on the Dodderbrook website.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Ballycullen". Don't be fooled here. This is not Ballycullen. Hunterswood and Beechdale barely qualify to be Ballycullen. This is not Ballycullen, it's OldCourt or Firhouse.

But eventually it'll probably get away with it.

It's not a bad area at all, I lived in Hunterswood for 7 years. Actually having a new development in that location will be good as the road where it is, is a little sparse at present. You will have great views of the mountains to the south and across the city to the north. The area around isn't "rough", but you will get the odd bit of passing scumbag traffic. Nothing major, but enough to give you some entertainment 3 or 4 times a year. For example, there was a huge fire at Hunterswood this year when a couple of scumbags decide to set fire to a wheelie bin below some apartments.
    The land to the north of the development is zoned for pitches and a primary school, which will be very nice if it goes ahead.

The oldcourt road is unfortunately a bit of a rat run for boy racers, but the county development plan is going to remove the roundabouts and stick in lights, so that should sort it.

For anyone interested, have a look on the 3D Design Bureau's website. These designed the visualisations and have some interior pictures of the houses that are not available on the Dodderbrook website.

Any chance of a link for that? I cant find anything about Dodderbrook on that website.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

• Advertisement

Any chance of a link for that? I cant find anything about Dodderbrook on that website.

I am not allowed to post links on here but it's an article on the website with the title: "What housing shortage? Dodderbrook comes to market". Google it and you should find it.

I am not allowed to post links on here but it's an article on the website with the title: "What housing shortage? Dodderbrook comes to market". Google it and you should find it.

Ah yes, thanks.

Those artist impressions make it look worse tbh. No front garden at all, just very tight parking for 2 cars side by side and if the cars are long they might not fit at all. Then a patch where you can plant a few flowers. Your front window is going to be a car length to the pavement, quite a lack of privacy. Wonder why they skimped so much on that?

Im not sure how he plans to build phase 4 as there are existing detached properties on that area. Unless he is buying them out.

Ah yes, thanks.

Those artist impressions make it look worse tbh. No front garden at all, just very tight parking for 2 cars side by side and if the cars are long they might not fit at all. Then a patch where you can plant a few flowers. Your front window is going to be a car length to the pavement, quite a lack of privacy. Wonder why they skimped so much on that?

Im not sure how he plans to build phase 4 as there are existing detached properties on that area. Unless he is buying them out.

Agreed on many of your points. I guess it is a matter of seeing the show house and making a choice. One positive I would say is that they are well priced when comparing the size to similar sized properties in the area with worse energy ratings. I have another site plan from the estate agent which suggests they have bought some of the properties. A seperate report written a few years back suggests they will build further into the mountains in years to come with better roads and public transport options.

Agreed on many of your points. I guess it is a matter of seeing the show house and making a choice. One positive I would say is that they are well priced when comparing the size to similar sized properties in the area with worse energy ratings. I have another site plan from the estate agent which suggests they have bought some of the properties. A seperate report written a few years back suggests they will build further into the mountains in years to come with better roads and public transport options.

Yes theres plenty of land there behind them alright. Plus with LIDL now a stones throw away at least you have a local shop - and with more pressure surely Dublin Bus will get their act together.

The houses themselves do look to be a good size, if the back garden looks decent I personally wouldnt be too concerned about a short front driveway (especially depending on your location within the estate, definitely not an issue at the end of a cul de sac for example).

It wouldnt be my favourite part of Firhouse (and I live very close to the new builds), and personally if I were going to buy in the area Id be more inclined to buy further down in "old firhouse", but thats a personal preference having lived in various parts of Firhouse and Knocklyon all my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

REFLINE1 wrote: »

Unfortunately, the site isn't on these maps. There's a section of the Dodder not shown here which is the tributary that runs into the main river.

Unfortunately, the site isn't on these maps. There's a section of the Dodder not shown here which is the tributary that runs into the main river.

SDCC have a Ballycullen / Old Court flood risk assessment document that I can't link to as a new member. The area where these are being built looks ok in terms of flood risk.

I tried driving up yesterday but the road was closed so I guess I'll wait for the show house. It seems like a nice area and fairly close to the new schools in firhouse as well as shops and a pub while still being close to the countryside.

Yes theres plenty of land there behind them alright. Plus with LIDL now a stones throw away at least you have a local shop - and with more pressure surely Dublin Bus will get their act together.

The houses themselves do look to be a good size, if the back garden looks decent I personally wouldnt be too concerned about a short front driveway (especially depending on your location within the estate, definitely not an issue at the end of a cul de sac for example).

It wouldnt be my favourite part of Firhouse (and I live very close to the new builds), and personally if I were going to buy in the area Id be more inclined to buy further down in "old firhouse", but thats a personal preference having lived in various parts of Firhouse and Knocklyon all my life.

I live a 5 min walk from Dodderbrook and have been there for 2 years. My girlfiend has grown up there and I have friends in the surrounding areas. There are areas where I would prefer to live but weighing up the pros and cons of which there are many of both, I would be happy to live there. There is also the problem of social housing with DNG confirming it will be 10% and looking at the site layout, it is easy to see where it will be so is important to keep away from that.

Another thought: The 4 beds are only slightly bigger and priced around 50k more which I can't get my head around. Front garden is bigger but surely there isn't a 50k gap between the 2 properties. Phase 1 4 beds didn't sell out which indicates they may drop the price.

I live a 5 min walk from Dodderbrook and have been there for 2 years. My girlfiend has grown up there and I have friends in the surrounding areas. There are areas where I would prefer to live but weighing up the pros and cons of which there are many of both, I would be happy to live there. There is also the problem of social housing with DNG confirming it will be 10% and looking at the site layout, it is easy to see where it will be so is important to keep away from that.

Another thought: The 4 beds are only slightly bigger and priced around 50k more which I can't get my head around. Front garden is bigger but surely there isn't a 50k gap between the 2 properties. Phase 1 4 beds didn't sell out which indicates they may drop the price.

Well there are many areas Id like to live in but Vico Road is just a stretch too far for mortgage approval ;)

DNG have confirmed 10% social housing within the development? Where do you think that will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Can they not just spread them out to integrate them better rather than ghettoising them? I know most people don't want to live next door to social housing and the implied higher rate of anti-social behaviour it represents but pushing them all into the one place of a development just creates an us vs them situation.

We need the social pressure of private neighbours to enforce standards on the whole. If all the private neighbours are segregated then they could be more willing to just write off part of the development as 'their' bit, especially if it's at the back of the estate and not something they have to pass everyday on the way in/out.

Can they not just spread them out to integrate them better rather than ghettoising them? I know most people don't want to live next door to social housing and the implied higher rate of anti-social behaviour it represents but pushing them all into the one place of a development just creates an us vs them situation.

Well the point is that making 10% of a development IS spreading the social housing out. Before it would have been one whole estate, now it is 10% of an estate.

Very difficult for the council to maintain if they are spread all over the place, the rest of the estate could be privately managed (I dont know if the estate being discussed is going to be privately managed). Easier for the council to have 1 particular cul de sac to look after.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

This is not a social housing discussion thread thanks

Mod

Well there are many areas Id like to live in but Vico Road is just a stretch too far for mortgage approval ;)

DNG have confirmed 10% social housing within the development? Where do you think that will be?

:) That's the problem! Who can afford to live in these places? My girlfriend and I are two newly qualified accountants with a good savings record and a lump in the bank and we are pushing for a house in Tallaght ("Ballycullen").

I reckon that the terraced houses in the middle of the estate and below will be the social housing but that's just a hunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Had a call from them today after registering interest.

Launching next weekend.
    Open Viewings of the Show houses Sat 5th. & Sun 6th.
    3 Bed Semi-Detached €330k - €340k
    4 Bed Semi-Detached €375k - €400k
    Available to move in May - August.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,705 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Does anyone know if the entrance to the estate will actually be on the Oldcourt Road? Was chatting to a resident of Oldcourt Cottages the other day and she said that when the planning was originally granted for these, one of the conditions was that the entrance wouldn't be on the Oldcourt Road, that access was to be via the Bohernabreena Road, but she wasn't sure if this was the case as the original PP was granted a few years ago.

From the pic of the site plan on the website the entrance is on the Old Court Road.

Planning application is here, if you want more details on house layouts, sizes, etc.

http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=144&regref=SD14A/0180

seamus wrote: »
    Planning application is here, if you want more details on house layouts, sizes, etc.

The entrance will indeed be on the oldcourt road, directly across from the LIDL.

I would be surprised if there weren't a few pedestrian gates around the perimeter though.

Also plans for a playing pitch to the Southeast:

A good amenity, though the potential for some traffic disruption on weekend mornings if people don't fancy driving all the way around, and instead park in Dodderbrook.

That's not it- Dodderbrook is further from Lidl. You can find the planning application using this RegRef: SD14A/0180

Thats a different development with the entrance opposite LIDL. Not Dodderbrook. That was the site proposed for the school that was then kiboshed and sold to a developer. It was Nama land, currently being used for cattle. There was planning permission granted for I think 60-80 properties there recently? It was Allsop if I remember correctly.

Jaysus, that's not even remotely close to Ballycullen then. I've updated my post.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Jaysus, that's not even remotely close to Ballycullen then. I've updated my post.

Oh yeah, its miles away!!

It should be called Old Court, not Ballycullen - but Ballycullen has notions of D16 about it....... ;)

Advertisement