Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodderbrook Ballycullen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭vodkababy

I think August might be a bit optimistic.

I'm hoping that because it is near the front of the estate, it would be more likely to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Hi :). Nice to meet you! I bought no. 9 with my girlfriend. Glad that it appears to be all buyers moving in. I had a fear there would be investors buying to rent out.

I met a few people that bought on the road two (the developers friend bought no. 7 and an Asian couple bought no. 11). Such a relief to know that on the face of it, we will be living next to nice people.

I think August is a little optimistic from DNG. I am thinking late October. Any other opinions?

It's probably not a great rental investment in terms of yield so I'd say it will be mainly owner occupiers/families looking to buy there.

We were supposed to be March, it's now looking like May by the time we'd get in. Christmas and Easter probably caused some delays too so I wouldn't be surprised if they were ready to snag in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dantheman89

vodkababy wrote: »
    I think August might be a bit optimistic.

Be great to be in and furnished for Christmas. Couldn't see that FB page. May be private. (Edit: Never mind found it)

Be great to be in and furnished for Christmas. Couldn't see that FB page. May be private. (Edit: Never mind found it)

I would say you'll be in and furnished by Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭guile4582

houses looked great hopefully there are some left come summer. just not ready yet

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dantheman89

guile4582 wrote: »
    houses looked great hopefully there are some left come summer. just not ready yet

I am not sure what houses where for sale at the weekend. We just knew the one we wanted. I would assume later phases will be released in the coming months. Best of luck!!

has anyone made detailed enquiries about the flooding situation?

*can't seem to find the FB page either

The SDCC planning docs include the flood assessment. The area itself has an estimated 1 in 1000 risk of flooding (Zone C).

The culvert under the Oldcourt Road was replaced as the old one didn't have sufficient capacity to carry the flow downstream. This led to flooding in the past as water backed up into the stream which borders the site despite adequate downstream capacity. With the replacement culvert this flooding would be unlikely to happen.

The larger concern is pluvial flooding (i.e. like what happened in 2011 in Dublin) whereby heavy rainfall oversaturated the ground and run off backs up onto roads/into houses. The soil in the area is a fairly damp clay so won't absorb much water. One of the flood mitigation factors in this estate is that the driveways are permeable, this means rain water leaving the eaves, permeates under the driveway into hardcore and can be absorbed by the ground prior to entering the sewer.

I would say the estate is reasonably safe regarding the risk of flooding but as we saw this winter climate change can have a big impact and the pluvial flooding mentioned above would be a risk for most of Dublin given the density of housing.

If you go into FB and search for Dodderbrook Residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Amazing to see how quick they are progressing on this build. This time last year and right up until July we had football training on the pitches that were there! Does anyone know will this estate be considered in the catchment area for the St Colmcilles primary school?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 StaceyKenny

Hi All

I have also put my name down on one of the houses. Just wondering without getting into specifics if everyone is paying the asking price r is there wiggle room?? ☺☺

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Does anyone know will this estate be considered in the catchment area for the St Colmcilles primary school?
    Not a chance.

The catchment for St. Colmcilles ends at the Ballycullen Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I presume itll be the cachement area for Holy Rosary primary school?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

The SDCC planning docs include the flood assessment. The area itself has an estimated 1 in 1000 risk of flooding (Zone C).

The culvert under the Oldcourt Road was replaced as the old one didn't have sufficient capacity to carry the flow downstream. This led to flooding in the past as water backed up into the stream which borders the site despite adequate downstream capacity. With the replacement culvert this flooding would be unlikely to happen.

The larger concern is pluvial flooding (i.e. like what happened in 2011 in Dublin) whereby heavy rainfall oversaturated the ground and run off backs up onto roads/into houses. The soil in the area is a fairly damp clay so won't absorb much water. One of the flood mitigation factors in this estate is that the driveways are permeable, this means rain water leaving the eaves, permeates under the driveway into hardcore and can be absorbed by the ground prior to entering the sewer.

I would say the estate is reasonably safe regarding the risk of flooding but as we saw this winter climate change can have a big impact and the pluvial flooding mentioned above would be a risk for most of Dublin given the density of housing.

Thats not how permeable paving works. They will allow for your average storm (1 in 1 maybe up to 1:5) to drain relatively quickly. In a larger storm event run of will be collected from hard standing areas and attenuated. 1:30 years storms are usually attenuated underground and above the above ground.

You mention clay (not sure what is there) but clay is not permeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

For a site with a known flood risk I didn't find that flood risk assessment at all reassuring. I don't know the site and I'm a bit rusty at reading documents like that but the fact that they basically say "run-off can go to the downstream attenuation ponds" with no calculations or capacity back up feels risky to me. I'd also like to see an in depth discussion of each recorded flooding event.

It's probably fine, and they probably did the work, but I'd prefer to see it in the flood risk assessment or as an appendix.

For a site with a known flood risk I didn't find that flood risk assessment at all reassuring.

Where are you getting the information that it is a "known flood risk"?

Where are you getting the information that it is a "known flood risk"?

The flood risk assessment itself reports 7 floods recorded by the OPW within 2.5km of the site. None of them are that close, but my engineer self wants to see a list of them and a brief comment against each one describing why this development wouldn't be affected by a similar event and won't cause similar events down stream. They include the map as an appendix but don't really refer to it or analyse it at all.

The OPW doesn't mention flooding on the site, however others here have.

The section on fluvial flooding also mentions a stream that runs along side the site boundaries, but without giving any detail basically says we looked at it and it's grand. I'd like to see details in a report like this. Something like, on the day of observation (20th September 2013), the stream was found to have a level of 30mOD. The planned finished floor level of the adjacent houses is 40mAOD and these will be placed at a distance of 50m from the stream. The stream is therefore not considered a flood risk to the development.

There are some further information documents related to flooding which may give such detail, but the report itself is lacking in my opinion.

Fair enough Phoenix.

I have lived in the area (on the same road) for over 10 years now and I dont specifically remember that site flooding (that is not to say it didnt and I didnt notice though!). Or it may well have flooded in the past.

I just wondered if there was some definitive recording of it flooding that you were referring to.

Fair enough Phoenix.

I have lived in the area (on the same road) for over 10 years now and I dont specifically remember that site flooding (that is not to say it didnt and I didnt notice though!). Or it may well have flooded in the past.

I just wondered if there was some definitive recording of it flooding that you were referring to.

There isn't and I don't know the area. It's just a poor flood risk assessment in my eyes and if I was looking to buy there and was worried about flooding it wouldn't give me any comfort.

• Advertisement

is there a set standard of flood risk assessment? do they actually need to give any more info other than what is there? can you call them up on that being sub standard?

just knowing the way things are done in Ireland, if that is suffice as an assessment, sure t'will do!

can prospective buyers get anything firmer in this regard? how would you go about it?

(if anything to give some relief to the posters on this topic who put down deposits :) )

is there a set standard of flood risk assessment? do they actually need to give any more info other than what is there? can you call them up on that being sub standard?

just knowing the way things are done in Ireland, if that is suffice as an assessment, sure t'will do!

can prospective buyers get anything firmer in this regard? how would you go about it?

(if anything to give some relief to the posters on this topic who put down deposits :) )

There is it's mentioned in the additional information request and there is an updated Flood Assessment hiding somewhere in the additional and compliance information that may give a much better break down of the situation. I just can't seem to find it with random clicking but it's in the planning docs somewhere.

I'd start with the local area development plan. Decide if you like what's described. Is the level of building and the type of development they're talking about ok with you? Are you ok if all the houses get built and 50% of the amenities they mention never do. There is stuff on drainage, water and flooding in there but everything in it is pretty relevant.

http://www.sdcc.ie/services/planning/local-area-plans/existing/ballycullen-oldcourt

Then I would go through the planning permission with a fine tooth comb.

My recommendation would be to read through the entire planning submission including the submission from Irish water, the further information requests, further information compliances and everything else with a fine tooth comb. Do it multiple times. Look for reports on flooding, water, drainage. Where queries are raised by the planners and by Irish Water look at how they were answered.

Also compare the planning permission to the development plan. Have the planners enforced what they say they're looking for?

Walk the site yourself as far as possible. Look at the levels across the site, which bits are higher, which bits are lower. Flooding can be rocket science but as often as not isn't. Ground that's higher may drain into the development, the development will drain into ground that's lower. Hard ground (roads, roofs) causes water to gather quickly. Parks and gardens slow it down. Rivers may burst their banks.

Then look at the specific house you're buying, where it sits in the development, what its orientation is, how many cars and people will be walking past it etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You can commission your own stage 3 FRA but I dont think you'd have much change out of €15k

Flooding is taken a lot more serious that it was in the past. Look at the orginal layout and the one submitted after AI. SDCC made the developer remodel based on the possible flood risk.

Daletree Close is the halting site, Daletree Court is the social housing (and the line of houses running between these two cul de sacs).

Ok. when you said halting site i thought caravans and dags!

you mean traveller housing? and from what i could see driving about this is Daletree Place

or have i totally missed something?

Ok. when you said halting site i thought caravans and dags!

you mean traveller housing? and from what i could see driving about this is Daletree Place

or have i totally missed something?

Apologies, it is Daletree Place.

Plenty of dags and occasionally caravans, but yes traveller housing (everyone just calls it a halting site locally).

Wouldn't have a clue how it looks these days, stopped driving past it years ago after multiple attacks on the car with rocks etc..

just some rubbish at the entrance of that road. not a whole lot but when driving around it was clear it had to be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 scraker

Hi All

Long time browser, first time poster on boards.ie. I’m interested in the Dodderbrook development, however the concerns raised earlier in this thread worry me with regard to potential flooding of the site.

I have checked out the planning application on the SDCC website, link posted earlier and some other information available on line (lots of it) with regard to the risk of flooding and the suitability of this site for residential zoning.
    As part of the planning application the developer submitted a stage 3 detailed flood risk assessment. The report shows the following
    1.) About half the development is in a flood risk zone
    2.) This reduces to about 50% with a new culvert installed under Oldcourt Road. I understand this has been completed.
    3.) If I’m understanding the report correctly, the flood risk zone is mitigated completely by further installing compensatory storage.? Or is the site still a flood risk zone?
    Other works also recommend replace the culvert at Parkland Road to same capacity as new one at Oldcourt Road, regrade the stream and clean ditch/stream where necessary.

Other important notes – peak level (1000 yr) flood level is calculated to be 98.8m and min house ground floor level is 99.7m, not sure what 100 yr flood level is. So this is indicating even if site floods, houses should not be flooded.

Does anyone have local experience and can comment why the GAA pitches flooded so badly in 2011, was it because of the insufficient / blocked culverts at Oldcourt Road or does the Oldcourt stream flood its banks on the western side of the site due to flash flooding during heavy rain? Because this site has flooded before will there be any issues getting house insurance or will this be OK because of the flood mitigation works?

Any thoughts welcome! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

scraker wrote: »
    Hi All

Long time browser, first time poster on boards.ie. I’m interested in the Dodderbrook development, however the concerns raised earlier in this thread worry me with regard to potential flooding of the site.

I have checked out the planning application on the SDCC website, link posted earlier and some other information available on line (lots of it) with regard to the risk of flooding and the suitability of this site for residential zoning.
    As part of the planning application the developer submitted a stage 3 detailed flood risk assessment. The report shows the following
    1.) About half the development is in a flood risk zone
    2.) This reduces to about 50% with a new culvert installed under Oldcourt Road. I understand this has been completed.
    3.) If I’m understanding the report correctly, the flood risk zone is mitigated completely by further installing compensatory storage.? Or is the site still a flood risk zone?
    Other works also recommend replace the culvert at Parkland Road to same capacity as new one at Oldcourt Road, regrade the stream and clean ditch/stream where necessary.

Other important notes – peak level (1000 yr) flood level is calculated to be 98.8m and min house ground floor level is 99.7m, not sure what 100 yr flood level is. So this is indicating even if site floods, houses should not be flooded.

Does anyone have local experience and can comment why the GAA pitches flooded so badly in 2011, was it because of the insufficient / blocked culverts at Oldcourt Road or does the Oldcourt stream flood its banks on the western side of the site due to flash flooding during heavy rain? Because this site has flooded before will there be any issues getting house insurance or will this be OK because of the flood mitigation works?

Any thoughts welcome! Thanks.

Hi, the pitch flooded because the culvert was blocked and the river had nowhere to go. The new culvert is 4x1.5 metres. I honestly can't imagine any problems with flooding now.

has anyone discussed house insurance with an insurer yet?

from what I can see there is a larger watercourse to the eastern side that has been ignored in this assessment. This watercourse is larger than the other one, and a lot closer to the development

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

has anyone discussed house insurance with an insurer yet?

from what I can see there is a larger watercourse to the eastern side that has been ignored in this assessment. This watercourse is larger than the other one, and a lot closer to the development

Are you talking about the river that runs beside the road on Oldcourt Lane?
    That comes down the hill next to the road, passes under the farmers access to his field, then under the road and comes out at the top of the field across the road from DB. That has caused problems in the past. A few times over the last few years during heavy rain, the river was too big to pass through the 2 pipes under the farmers access road, it flowed out onto the road and came down the road all the way to my house. The flow was on my side of the road (opposite side to DB), and as there was no raised path, it flowed straight into my front garden and surrounded my house. Since then the farmer installed a third pipe, much larger than the previous two and I got the council to put a raised path in front of my house. Since then, the three pipes have been big enough to prevent he river overflowing. There is still an issue with water running off a field up close to that river, as long as the shores aren't blocked it isn't a problem, I walk up and unblock them all when there is heavy rain in Autumn.
    Anytime there was a issue of water coming down the road, it was on the side across from DB.

Advertisement