Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dodderbrook Ballycullen

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Its condition 13 where it states that a management company must be set up.

I cant link properly here but its condition 13 in Managers Orders, Grant Permission.

Theres a follow up in Compliance Submission Cond 13 ACK Letter.

Theres a further follow up in the Cover Letter below that - but then the trail ends and there is no definitive answer from the council that they are happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Garyr1

I'd prefer to pay a small management fee to help maintain the estate. We currently live in an estate with mgt fees and the place is kept immaculate. It does make a huge difference and we only pay €300 per year, its a small price to pay I reckon. Estates can become run down looking very quickly, if common areas and gardens/green areas are left unattended. Just look at hunterswood nearby, the place is kept really well, if the council was looking after it would quickly deteriorate.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭dantheman89

Garyr1 wrote: »
    I'd prefer to pay a small management fee to help maintain the estate. We currently live in an estate with mgt fees and the place is kept immaculate. It does make a huge difference and we only pay €300 per year, its a small price to pay I reckon. Estates can become run down looking very quickly, if common areas and gardens/green areas are left unattended. Just look at hunterswood nearby, the place is kept really well, if the council was looking after it would quickly deteriorate.

€300 is a very small fee. If that includes bins and maintenance of course, I would jump on it. However the fee can rise over time.

I have a friend in Hunterswood and from memory, I am pretty sure his fee is close to 8/10 times what you are paying. And for me anyway, that's not worth it. We frequently walk around the local area where the houses have been developed by the same builder and it is kept very well by the residents. Although I have seen other areas that are less looked after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

I disagree, look at the issue with balconies in hunterswood and if there was any major work that needed carrying out in the estate a management comapany would have to raise rates significantly to cover it.

One of the benefits of buying here for me was the lack of a management company, I dread the thought of having to deal with it. i think a sense of community spirit is far more beneficial where the neighbourhood committee or similar would add to the beautification of the area rather than a dedicated management committee and it would be added to with work from the council. This also helps benefit a sense of security and homeliness in knowing your neighbours well.

There is a real loss of the neighbourhood feeling now compared to when I was growing up and it would be nice to see that coming back into Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

I disagree, look at the issue with balconies in hunterswood and if there was any major work that needed carrying out in the estate a management comapany would have to raise rates significantly to cover it.

One of the benefits of buying here for me was the lack of a management company, I dread the thought of having to deal with it. i think a sense of community spirit is far more beneficial where the neighbourhood committee or similar would add to the beautification of the area rather than a dedicated management committee and it would be added to with work from the council. This also helps benefit a sense of security and homeliness in knowing your neighbours well.

There is a real loss of the neighbourhood feeling now compared to when I was growing up and it would be nice to see that coming back into Ireland

Agreed, hunterswood management fee was over 2,000 before we moved to Dodderbrook, it's a huge saving and the builder keeps the place well during development. I image a residents group similar to Woodstown would work well and as the estate is kept really well!

• Advertisement

Agreed, hunterswood management fee was over 2,000 before we moved to Dodderbrook, it's a huge saving and the builder keeps the place well during development. I image a residents group similar to Woodstown would work well and as the estate is kept really well!

And judging by the FB page it won't be long before a group will be set up :)

Yeah, I think when it comes to apartments the lack of large management fees is a big saver, especially the Hunterswood fees which are astronomical by any standards. But with houses you only ever pay for garden and grounds, so the fees will never really rise, ours havent in 8 years. We are used to paying a small fee to have the place look great so I wouldn't be against maintenance fees. I used to live in a smaller estate with apartments where all maintenance stopped when the Mgt company went out of business, within a couple of months the estate became run down looking, gardens, common areas, roads etc. So for us its a small price to pay.

We live in a house, and the fee only covers ground and front garden maintenance but has always been between 250-300 for the past 8 years. I suppose we're used to having the place maintained and for such a small fee its worth it to us. Obviously apartments are a different story, much higher rates apply. I would have thought the proposed apartment blocks in Dodderbrook would have to have a management company assigned to keep these in order.

Yeah, I think when it comes to apartments the lack of large management fees is a big saver, especially the Hunterswood fees which are astronomical by any standards. But with houses you only ever pay for garden and grounds, so the fees will never really rise, ours havent in 8 years. We are used to paying a small fee to have the place look great so I wouldn't be against maintenance fees. I used to live in a smaller estate with apartments where all maintenance stopped when the Mgt company went out of business, within a couple of months the estate became run down looking, gardens, common areas, roads etc. So for us its a small price to pay.

Garden and grounds though could include damage to roads, the culvert and associated river issues etc, entrances off the main road, street lights. There is a lot that could go wrong there alone.

I would have hoped people would look after their own gardens, especially when you have a high majority of owner occupiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

The management company is comprised of owners so it cant "go out of business". What is more likely is that the agent went bust and the management company were slow to get a new agent and/or there were so many non payers that the development couldnt be run properly.

With houses you dont only pay for gardens and grounds. My father in law pays for grounds, bins, a carpark and electric lighting. It all depends on whats in your development that is used communally. In winter they have problems with a particular hill so in bad winters it has cost more as they need it gritted and cleared.

• Advertisement

Yes you are correct, it was the managing agent that went out of business! All fair points, can only speak from my own experiences though, but there are always pros and cons for and against.

Does anyone have any info on the apartments and terraced houses in the middle of the estate? (Dodderbrook Terrace). The agents aren't giving much away. I was told back in March that the apartments were most likely being held back for social and affordable, but I now reckon all of Dodderbrook Terrace is for social.

The parking here might be a nightmare also. If there are 3 blocks of apartments with nine in each and 12 houses, there should be at least 78 parking spots available, presuming 2 spots for each property. I only count 47 communal parking spots including those on Dodderbrook avenue and drive. With no designated spots for any of the terraced houses or apartments you could have at least 30 cars with nowhere to park!! This area could potentially become overrun with cars parked on every corner, green space and in front of other peoples houses.

Does anyone have any info on the apartments and terraced houses in the middle of the estate? (Dodderbrook Terrace). The agents aren't giving much away. I was told back in March that the apartments were most likely being held back for social and affordable, but I now reckon all of Dodderbrook Terrace is for social.

The parking here might be a nightmare also. If there are 3 blocks of apartments with nine in each and 12 houses, there should be at least 78 parking spots available, presuming 2 spots for each property. I only count 47 communal parking spots including those on Dodderbrook avenue and drive. With no designated spots for any of the terraced houses or apartments you could have at least 30 cars with nowhere to park!! This area could potentially become overrun with cars parked on every corner, green space and in front of other peoples houses.

I didn't know there were that many apartments I thought it was 3 blocks of 4 2 bedrooms and a creche. I may have been misinformed about that.

Isnt there a regulation of something like 1.5 parking spaces per unit?

I didn't know there were that many apartments I thought it was 3 blocks of 4 2 bedrooms and a creche. I may have been misinformed about that.
    Isnt there a regulation of something like 1.5 parking spaces per unit?

I was told 9 apartments per block back in March, this may have changed since or I was misinformed, hopefully you are right, if thats the case then parking shouldn't be an issue.

I was told 9 apartments per block back in March, this may have changed since or I was misinformed, hopefully you are right, if thats the case then parking shouldn't be an issue.

To be honest you are probably more correct than I am. but we will see

To be honest you are probably more correct than I am. but we will see

The origional application was for these units to be 3 bedroom bookend houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

You need to scroll through the list of other documents to this:

Further Information
    type E bookend

Final Grant refers to

138 dwellings
    13 - 4 Bed detached
    92 - 3/4 bed Semi-D
    25 - 3 Bed Terraced
    8 - 2 Bed Apts in Terrace Ends

Just confirmed with the council that All houses and apartments on Dodderbrook Terrace have been reserved for social housing. Thats the heart of the whole estate. Another reason why i'd prefer to have the estate handed over to a management company, this part of the estate will quickly become run down now. I've nothing against social housing in the estate but why group the houses together, they should be spread out evenly throughout the development to ensure proper integration of all residents into the community. It will quickly become evident who has paid over 360k for their house and those who paid nothing. It breeds resentment and can and will cause problems. At least with a management company in place any issues can be quickly dealt with and the estate would always be maintained to a high standard. Without a management company you take your chances, €360,000 is a massive chance!!

Just confirmed with the council that All houses and apartments on Dodderbrook Terrace have been reserved for social housing. Thats the heart of the whole estate. Another reason why i'd prefer to have the estate handed over to a management company, this part of the estate will quickly become run down now. I've nothing against social housing in the estate but why group the houses together, they should be spread out evenly throughout the development to ensure proper integration of all residents into the community. It will quickly become evident who has paid over 360k for their house and those who paid nothing. It breeds resentment and can and will cause problems. At least with a management company in place any issues can be quickly dealt with and the estate would always be maintained to a high standard. Without a management company you take your chances, €360,000 is a massive chance!!

Confirmed that with the estate agent back in March. No big issues for me. Builders have to create social housing so I don't see a way around it and I would assume that for the builder, splitting them up would be a nightmare. In Dodderbrook they are in the foxgloves so too late to rethink even if they wanted to. Putting them in the middle is better than a corner as they will integrate easier. This is the way it will be in all new estates and you are right, it is a chance you have to take..

If there was a management fee and social housing had theirs paid (assuming that's how it works) this would cause more resentment and putting them next door too buyers other would make it even worse in my opinion?

Pass that bridge when it comes as every estate and area will have its problems.

• Advertisement

Is it confirmed the type of social housing? It could be affordable housing in which case they are still paying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wenders_5

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Is it confirmed the type of social housing? It could be affordable housing in which case they are still paying for it

There's no affordable housing schemes running at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

Wenders_5 wrote: »

Do you regularly commit to 6-figure purchases and then research them afterwards?

REFLINE1 wrote: »
    Do you regularly commit to 6-figure purchases and then research them afterwards?

If they only visited at the weekend, hindsight would indicate that a refundable deposit was paid for the right to commit to buy the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭REFLINE1

If they only visited at the weekend, hindsight would indicate that a refundable deposit was paid for the right to commit to buy the property.
    Hindight would indicate? Whats hindsight got to do with it? think what your trying to say is " Its fair to assume?" Regardless it seems a bit rash to even go that far not having done much research. Carry on anyway none of my business i guess.

Hindight would indicate? Whats hindsight got to do with it? think what your trying to say is " Its fair to assume?" Regardless it seems a bit rash to even go that far not having done much research. Carry on anyway none of my business i guess.

Sorry.. cop on would have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Wenders_5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Wenders_5 wrote: »
    Haha, cheers Dan!! I've clarified it with the Estate Agents. I'll put the info on the FB page, I presume you are on that also. Just in case the info is of interest to others, although probably not at this stage.

In regards to the other post, which seems to serve no useful purpose other than appearing to insult or get a rise out of someone, all I will say is that I would assume no one would make this sort of very large commitment without the appropriate research. No commitment, financial or binding has been made by us, so your empty assumptions are not required. Thanks for your valid input though.

Mod note

Welcome to boards. Such an exciting time, buying a home.

Just a gentle reminder of the forum charter, if you have an issue with a post please use the report post button and leave the moderation to the mods rather than retorting on thread. Thanks

• Advertisement

The origional application was for these units to be 3 bedroom bookend houses.

From what I am led to believe now, it is 6 apartments. 3 sets of 2 apartments.

Advertisement