Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of questions regarding salary

• 21-02-2016 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28 futuredubliner

Hello,

I shall soon move to Ireland (to live and work), and I want to inform myself as much as I can.

One of the things that bothers me is how do I calculate net salary, and what is included in it?

I have looked at job offers, on different Irish websites regarding job vacancies, and as far as I understood, salary shown is before taxes, and what you get in one year, am I right?

If so, how do I calculate what I get, so called, net pay?

I have seen this link taxcalc.eu/monthlyss/ , but excel file does not work in my office 2010 excel.

Also, is that salary final thing you get, or do you get transportation costs? How about meal allowance (as for one meal while you are at work)? Do you get anything else? What else should I know about salary negotiation in Ireland?

Thank you all in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭needhelpguy

www.taxcalc.ie will break it down for you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hello,

I shall soon move to Ireland (to live and work), and I want to inform myself as much as I can.

One of the things that bothers me is how do I calculate net salary, and what is included in it?

I have looked at job offers, on different Irish websites regarding job vacancies, and as far as I understood, salary shown is before taxes, and what you get in one year, am I right?

If so, how do I calculate what I get, so called, net pay?

I have seen this link taxcalc.eu/monthlyss/ , but excel file does not work in my office 2010 excel.

Also, is that salary final thing you get, or do you get transportation costs? How about meal allowance (as for one meal while you are at work)? Do you get anything else? What else should I know about salary negotiation in Ireland?

Thank you all in advance

Salary is just gross pay. All other benefits vary from company to company. What industry do you work in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭ Vance Tender Above

Thank you all in advance

Totally depends on your job, generally if you're just commuting to-and-from your regular workplace you won't get any transport costs but if you're sent off to a different location for whatever reason you would. Meals, again totally depends, lots of places have a subsidised canteen, the big US tech firms will do free food.

Some places will provide health insurance, most large companies will make some contribution to your pension too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 futuredubliner

thank you both

currently i work in manufacture, but i am an el. engineer, so i would like to find job in engineering or in supervising/managing position in manufacture

@needhelpguy
    thx for the link, but, something is not ok, for test purpose i put 1000 eur for gross pay, and it calculated it to be 1000 eur as net pay

also, i don't know about couple of things in advanced calculator:
    -pension part, what percentage is usually "reserved" for pension?
    -also, what is the deal with avc? for test purpose i put 10% pension, and 10% avc, on 1000 gross, and i got 1450 eur net?!?!

-tuition fees - is this school tuition? can i get tax reduction if i study while i work? (i am also considering applying to uni)
    -what is cutoff, and "total credit"?

edit:
    @Vance Tender Above,
    so, if i have to use, for example, dublin bus, and buy monthly fare, i have to pay it out of my pay, and not from "special bonus"?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭needhelpguy

thank you both

currently i work in manufacture, but i am an el. engineer, so i would like to find job in engineering or in supervising/managing position in manufacture

@needhelpguy
    thx for the link, but, something is not ok, for test purpose i put 1000 eur for gross pay, and it calculated it to be 1000 eur as net pay

also, i don't know about couple of things in advanced calculator:
    -pension part, what percentage is usually "reserved" for pension?
    -also, what is the deal with avc? for test purpose i put 10% pension, and 10% avc, on 1000 gross, and i got 1450 eur net?!?!

-tuition fees - is this school tuition? can i get tax reduction if i study while i work? (i am also considering applying to uni)
    -what is cutoff, and "total credit"?

edit:
    @Vance Tender Above,
    so, if i have to use, for example, dublin bus, and buy monthly fare, i have to pay it out of my pay, and not from "special bonus"?

This is because you would not pay tax on that amount as a salary as it is too low. Put in a realistic figure like 30k (it is yearly gross).

Re tuition yes if you pay for your own education you can claim the tax back from your tuition fees. The cutoff and total credits are your tax credits (amounts you can earn tax free). These will be made known to you once you are setup on the irish tax system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭SetOverSet

Hi OP,

In that calculator, you need to enter your annual salary, not monthly or weekly.

With regard to education, you can get tax relief at the standard rate (20%) for up to €7,000 (the first €1,500 is disregarded I think). So, for example - if your fees were €5,000, you would get €700 tax relief ((€5,000 - €1,500) * 20%)

There are exceptions, but you'll find that most Irish companies pay you a salary and any expenses incurred getting to/from work, feeding yourself and so on are your own. I'm pretty sure you can get annual rail/bus tickets, on which you get tax relief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Terrontress

You can often take public transport costs from your gross salary rather than net. If you pay tax at the higher rate, it can be a significant saving. Also bear this in mind as to where to live if you're coming over. Taxsaver ticket and a job and home on the DART and you'd do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 futuredubliner

Thank you everyone.

I heard about taxsaver, I have to talk about it with employer, right?

One thing I still don't understand is pension/avc, who pays that? I put 30 000 as gross pay, and 10% for pension and for avc, and got 41 337 eur net pay, but if I put 10% only in either pension or avc, I get 22 757

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

As a rough guide I seem to end up with about half my salary actually in my hand at the end of the month, by the time all the tax, pension, USC (another tax), pension levy (yet another tax) etc are taken out. This obviously will vary according to your final salary but it will give you an idea (my salary is 35k - it would be 70k but I work half hours and that isn't relevant to your question).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thank you everyone.

I heard about taxsaver, I have to talk about it with employer, right?

One thing I still don't understand is pension/avc, who pays that? I put 30 000 as gross pay, and 10% for pension and for avc, and got 41 337 eur net pay, but if I put 10% only in either pension or avc, I get 22 757

That figure of 41337 is wrong, the taxcalc website is incorrectly calculating how much taxable income you'd have as 4,500 and not 24,000 which it should be.

Employers sometimes pay towards a pension and you contribute also. AVCs are paid by you and they are restricted depending on your age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59,633 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Just as an FYI:

I'm the author of the Excel workbook mentioned above and was separately contacted by futureDubliner about this.

If anyone else has a problem making it work, please feel free to PM me. (It won't work on a Mac, however)

Advertisement