Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inishmore - One day

Options
  • 21-02-2016 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

We have a friend over for a couple of days and were thinking about doing a fast tour of Inishmore, but I would need an opinion of somebody who has been there...
    1. Is 1 day enough to see a bit of island, coming with first ferry on Saturday and leaving probably with first one on Sunday?
    2. How much is the ferry+parking in Galway for 24 hours?
    3. Any suggestions for renting bike company or hotel/B&B?
    4. What did you like the best over there? :)

I do know this is a bit of a stretch, but we do plan to visit Kylemore Abbey on Sunday so I was wondering could we squeeze Inishmore the day before.

If you/nobody would suggest that we'll probably just use the day for some other sightseeing's on the way (Lough Corrib, Connemara National Park, Roundstone) - any suggestions are welcome for that scenario too! Thank you!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

One day is plenty to see the main bits.
    I think parking is free but ring the ferry company and check.
    I usually stay in Kilronan Hostel
    The beaches

Yeah you can visit both, from Rossaveal to Kylemore is only about an hour driving.

http://www.aranislandferries.com/times_mor.php
    http://www.aranislandferries.com/faq.php
    http://www.aranisland.info/getting-here/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Seanfhear Crionna

- 1 day (Sat morn - Sun morn) is enough for a flying visit!
    - Boat is ballpark of €20/€25 per adult
    - You can rent a bike as soon as you step off the pier, no prior arrangement necessary.
    - You can find a comprehensive list of accommodation (which shows all prices and facilities) here:
    www. visitaranislands.com/inis-mor-inishmore-island/accommodation

-Id recommend seeing Dun Aonghusa. A ring fort on the cliff. There is a small admittance fee. It is a few miles cycle from the main village (Kilronan)
    -There are several craft shops in the small village next to Dun Aonghusa (Kilmurvy). There is also a great cafe in that village (cant miss it, big thatched cottage).
    -If youd like to go out for dinner, id recommend one of these three places: Pier House, Mainistir House, Aran Islands Hotel.
    -for a pint: Joe Wattys Bar

Hope that helps :)
    i can answer any other questions you may have

• Registered Users Posts: 15,898 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The plane is only €50. You might not need the overnight as it only takes 8 mins - fabulous views too.

Advertisement