Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning requirements at end of tenancy

Options
  • 21-02-2016 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

My landlady has sent me a pdf of what she wants done at the end of a tenancy. (List follows at end).

The windows weren't cleaned, grout scrubbed or carpet hoovered prior to entering. What is the situation here?

Text:
    To ensure full return of deposit:

1. Return all keys: shed & side gate, internal doors & windows

2. Transfer utility accounts as instructed

3. Return all rubbish bins, empty

4. Cleaning: all electrical goods must be cleaned thoroughly- including hobs, ovens,
    fridge, and washing machine/dishwasher filters. If appliances are freestanding,
    check for grease & crumbs around and behind, pull out & clean

5. Sanitary Ware: all toilets, baths, showers, sinks & mirrors to be cleaned free of
    scum and polished. Special attention to base of taps and tiling/tiling grout (a
    toothbrush and parazone work great in these areas). Bath cabinets must be empty
    and cleaned out

6. Kitchen & Bathrooms: all presses, shelves & counters washed out and empty, tiles
    cleaned (no grease)

7. General: windows cleaned inside (both floors) & out (ground level), window
    ledges and all skirting dusted and washed, fireplace dusted, carpets shampooed,
    furniture clean

8. Gardens: Grass must be short with edges trimmed, shrubs trimmed, weeds pulled
    and any paving clear of weeds, shed returned empty save for lawnmower and few
    gardening tools.

9. All electrical appliances will be checked to be in working order prior to return of
    deposit

THANK YOU

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I don't see anything wrong with that request tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

slowjoe17 wrote: »
    The windows weren't cleaned, grout scrubbed or carpet hoovered prior to entering. What is the situation here?

You should have discussed that prior to entering, not now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Seems reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭yqtwqxqm

I lived in an apartment in Dublin, where I had to pay up front for a contract cleaner to clean it.
    Basically I had to hand over 1 months deposit + first months rent + €200 for cleaning and painting after I left, before I even moved in.
    A contract cleaner was going to clean the place when we moved out and I didnt need to worry about any cleaning. We just removed all our stuff and left the place empty.
    We all knew where we stood right from the beginning.

When I lived in Paris that upfront fee was €900 for cleaning and painting after I left and is much more common than Dublin.
    Next tenant moves in to newly painted and properly cleaned apartment, pays for cleaning and painting in advance, moves out and on and on.
    It works quiet well.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

What way was the house when you took it?

It obviously has to be clean but I doubt you are a professional cleaner op....

I have been unlucky where all places we have taken were left dirty before entering even though in 2 cases they said it would be cleaned.

Have been in 5 seperate places and have found other houses etc been cleaned professional when other tenants have left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You are not required to clean the exterior surface of any windows.
    You are not responsible for garden unless your lease satstes different.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

To me there's nothing unreasonable there.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Kepler 186f

Reasonable to me too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Looks reasonable to me, leave the property as you would like to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭slowjoe17

What way was the house when you took it?

It obviously has to be clean but I doubt you are a professional cleaner op....

I have been unlucky where all places we have taken were left dirty before entering even though in 2 cases they said it would be cleaned.

Have been in 5 seperate places and have found other houses etc been cleaned professional when other tenants have left.

As I said before, garden was overgrown, windows weren't cleaned, carpets had not been shampood, grout had not been scrubbed, there were plants coming up through the drive.

I've done the windows (including taking paint splashes off from however last painted the place), done the drive, pruned back the bushes (which took about 6 hours), cleaned out the surfaces I used.

Shampooing the carpets and taking a toothbrush to grout is taking liberties IMO.

What happens if I refuse to address these?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You won't get your deposit back imo, or will have a deduction.

Last place I rented I had the carpets professionally cleaned before I left, so maybe I'm being pedantic about it, but the place was spotless before I left.

And yes, I did clean the grout and taps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Pkiernan wrote: »
    You are not required to clean the exterior surface of any windows.
    You are not responsible for garden unless your lease satstes different.

Are you sure, aren't renting the entire property including curtilage, not just the house?

yqtwqxqm wrote: »
    I lived in an apartment in Dublin, where I had to pay up front for a contract cleaner to clean it.
    Basically I had to hand over 1 months deposit + first months rent + €200 for cleaning and painting after I left, before I even moved in.
    A contract cleaner was going to clean the place when we moved out and I didnt need to worry about any cleaning. We just removed all our stuff and left the place empty.
    We all knew where we stood right from the beginning.

When I lived in Paris that upfront fee was €900 for cleaning and painting after I left and is much more common than Dublin.
    Next tenant moves in to newly painted and properly cleaned apartment, pays for cleaning and painting in advance, moves out and on and on.
    It works quiet well.

That's lovely.

However, the question is about today in Dublin, not Paris.

Likewise, I didn't enter a place newly decorated, or indeed, professionally cleaned. The question I asked was, can the landlord ask for the place to be returned in significantly better condition than when it was let?

Likewise, I didn't enter a place newly decorated, or indeed, professionally cleaned. The question I asked was, can the landlord ask for the place to be returned in significantly better condition than when it was let?

Yes, they can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

When did cleaning grout become unusual? Like that's a routine part of cleaning that you'd do any time it starts looking a bit grotty... Every 6 weeks or so here (although it really needs the grouting redone). It's only a very minor job when you keep on top of it regularly. Same with the base of taps, they should be routinely cleaned.

Carpets won't set you back much... Tbh it sounds reasonable. Thorough, yes, but still reasonable. Just leave it how you'd like to find it. And take lots of pictures including behind furniture etc. and keep the receipt for the carpets. That way you get your deposit back.

Or talk to the landlord, agree to leave it neat and tidy and agree a cleaner in advance to give it a deep clean with that deducted from your deposit.

I can understand ll wanting it clean but I would be giving it back exactly as it was when 1st moved in.

Anyone hear of normal wear and tear???

All the places I have left were cleaner then when I got them.
    Some people are so dirty and the bathrooms were revolting.

Turtle_ wrote: »
    When did cleaning grout become unusual? Like that's a routine part of cleaning that you'd do any time it starts looking a bit grotty... Every 6 weeks or so here (although it really needs the grouting redone). It's only a very minor job when you keep on top of it regularly. Same with the base of taps, they should be routinely cleaned.

Carpets won't set you back much... Tbh it sounds reasonable. Thorough, yes, but still reasonable. Just leave it how you'd like to find it. And take lots of pictures including behind furniture etc. and keep the receipt for the carpets. That way you get your deposit back.

Or talk to the landlord, agree to leave it neat and tidy and agree a cleaner in advance to give it a deep clean with that deducted from your deposit.

There are 6 taps in the property, and they'll be well cleaned. Reasonable cleaning is fine.

There are probably 6000 tiles - they chose something between 1 inch and 2 inch square for the bathroom floor, for example. Cleaning the grout with a toothbrush sounds excessive to me.

There are 6 taps in the property, and they'll be well cleaned. Reasonable cleaning is fine.

There are probably 6000 tiles - they chose something between 1 inch and 2 inch square for the bathroom floor, for example. Cleaning the grout with a toothbrush sounds excessive to me.

Get bleach pour on floor let soak then clean away but open windows as fumes.

I had to do that in all places I have been as they were growing mould and black.

Even had to re grout one bathroom shower this was all when we had just moved in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

What does your lease/tenancy agreement say?

TBH it sounds reasonable to me, but you should probably have found the property in the same condition when you moved in..or notified the LL of an issue.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

I think that all sounds reasonable if you'd moved in and found the place equally as clean. You say that wasn't the case, so in your shoes I'd be pissed off.

Afaik the landlord has to hire a cleaner and show receipts before they can deduct from your deposit, they can't hold onto it and do the cleaning themselves.

If you think she's chancing her arm and getting you to spruce up her home on the cheap, you could call her bluff & just leave it as you found it. There's the possibility that she'll just get a cleaner in and stop the cost out of your deposit though. All depends on what you can afford to do.

Personally, I'd give it back as I got it & no more.

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Yes, they can.

Can you provide a link to back this up?

In the UK, you cannot request improvement on condition received (called betterment). I'm extremely surprised that betterment can be requested in Ireland.

Can you provide a link to back this up?

In the UK, you cannot request improvement on condition received (called betterment). I'm extremely surprised that betterment can be requested in Ireland.

NO I don't believe it's covered tbh by our rental laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

have you pictures of the condition when you moved in.

have you pictures of the condition when you moved in.

No pictures.

There was no inventory provided either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

That is an issue you should have raised when you moved in.If you werent happy with the cleanliness when you moved in, you should have told the LL. Do you not think if the LL is being so picky with the cleaning now, that probably were with the former tenant when you moved in? You just cant remember after such a long period of time.

Irish tenants are so filthy. Most think that washing the kitchen floor and emptying the bins counts as handing the house back in an acceptable state. Would you like to move into a new house and find the place filthy?

newacc2015 wrote: »

Irish tenants are so filthy. Most think that washing the kitchen floor and emptying the bins counts as handing the house back in an acceptable state.

Are you joking? Last place I rented years ago, I had the carpets professionally cleaned, the oven, fridge etc were scrubbed inside and out, kitchen cupboards were emptied and wiped down.

Bathrooms were cleaned including grout.

Is that not normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

newacc2015 wrote: »
    That is an issue you should have raised when you moved in.If you werent happy with the cleanliness when you moved in, you should have told the LL. Do you not think if the LL is being so picky with the cleaning now, that probably were with the former tenant when you moved in? You just cant remember after such a long period of time.

Irish tenants are so filthy. Most think that washing the kitchen floor and emptying the bins counts as handing the house back in an acceptable state. Would you like to move into a new house and find the place filthy?

Good stuff, start the tenancy off on the right foot by bitching about having to hoover the floor. In the real world most of us just want a quiet life, and wouldn't be expecting something like this to crop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

*spoiler alert* get a professional cleaner in for half a day, pay them the rate, show them the to-do list & go out on the lash with your full deposit back in hand the first week you move into the next place!
    It feels amazing :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Am I the only who pictures scenes from Full Metal Jacket at mention of the toothbrush?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you joking? Last place I rented years ago, I had the carpets professionally cleaned, the oven, fridge etc were scrubbed inside and out, kitchen cupboards were emptied and wiped down.

Bathrooms were cleaned including grout.

Is that not normal?

Professional carpet cleaning and scrubbing the grout would not be particularly normal unless you were a particularly untidy tenant and the property required that sort of heavy cleaning to return it to the condition it was when you moved in.

I can't imagine many circumstances where the PRTB would side with a landlord insisting a property be returned in a much better condition than it was at the start of the tenancy.

Advertisement