Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleaning requirements at end of tenancy

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

You are in a good situation op with a good LL.

The list is entirely reasonable and you are assured your deposit will be returned if that list is completed. Many tenants worry about their deposit being returned or have it withheld at the end of the tenancy for spurious reasons, I suspect most tenants would appreciate the certainty of your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

I would feel very hard done by if I was the OP.

I certainly think it's worth a phone call to give the landlord your side of the story.
    If the the landlord is asking the tennant to move out, a PRTB query could take a long time to resolve, so it would be in the LL's interest to resolve it.

The list might have been a copy and paste job the LL got off the internet somewhere.

But really, the tennent should have kept the tiles and grouting in good condition as they went along.

ellejay wrote: »
    I would feel very hard done by if I was the OP.

I certainly think it's worth a phone call to give the landlord your side of the story.
    If the the landlord is asking the tennant to move out, a PRTB query could take a long time to resolve, so it would be in the LL's interest to resolve it.

The list might have been a copy and paste job the LL got off the internet somewhere.

But really, the tennent should have kept the tiles and grouting in good condition as they went along.

Hard done by in what way? The list is pretty much what would be expected of a tenant moving out, clean the place, clean th windows, cut the grass, empty the bins, transfer utilities etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

op
    it would read like a reasonable list if you had moved into the property and all on the list had been done for you.
    if, however, you have pictures that prove certain things weren't in good condition/clean then maybe bring it up with the LL.

op
    it would read like a reasonable list if you had moved into the property and all on the list had been done for you.
    if, however, you have pictures that prove certain things weren't in good condition/clean then maybe bring it up with the LL.

Am I missing something? Op has been told that if he cleans the place he will get his deposit back in full, no messing around. He even has a list to work off, just clean the place, pocket your deposit and move on.

You could argue that it wasn't clean when you moved in, they will argue it was or you would have said something, then they will deduct cost of cleaning from the deposit. Wear and tare are not the same as a state of uncleanliness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

All seems ok to me except for the carpet shampooing.

However, if there are any major stains caused by you on the carpet I think you should attempt to get those out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Really wish I'd taken photos of property when I first moved in as it was fairly filthy. The previous tenants had done a runner and the management agency didn't get professional cleaners in, they just asked their handymen to give it a once over (cleaned the floors, general wipe down).

I spent aaaagggggeeees scrubbing after I moved in. I just assumed that I'd be considered to be a whinge bag for asking for a proper clean to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Mink wrote: »
    Really wish I'd taken photos of property when I first moved in as it was fairly filthy. The previous tenants had done a runner and the management agency didn't get professional cleaners in, they just asked their handymen to give it a once over (cleaned the floors, general wipe down).

I spent aaaagggggeeees scrubbing after I moved in. I just assumed that I'd be considered to be a whinge bag for asking for a proper clean to be done.

Unfortunately seems to be a lesson for the future.

What we need is a system like Australia where the agent/landlord fills out a very detailed (official) checklist noting each and every flaw before a tenant moves in. The tenant then either agrees to each comment or adds his own. The checklist is produced on moving out and as long as any "damage" has already been identified on moving in, then the deposit is repaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Op when you have all the cleaning done make sure to take lots of pictures with the most recent date. There have been a few threads here from tenants who haven't got their deposit back and then had to go an lodge a case with the PRTB which is a long drawn out process.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭eirbear1989

When I moved into my apartment the places needed a good scrub, it looked clean but when I opened presses, oven, fridge etc you could see it wasn't. I always keep the place clean but I sure as hell wont be scrubbing it when I leave.

• Advertisement

When I moved into my apartment the places needed a good scrub, it looked clean but when I opened presses, oven, fridge etc you could see it wasn't. I always keep the place clean but I sure as hell wont be scrubbing it when I leave.

Are you not concerned that you won't get your full deposit back if the LL says you failed to clean it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you joking? Last place I rented years ago, I had the carpets professionally cleaned, the oven, fridge etc were scrubbed inside and out, kitchen cupboards were emptied and wiped down.

Bathrooms were cleaned including grout.

Is that not normal?

Not all. My parents had a house that wasnt cleaned in 4 years. Im not exaggerating. We took one look at and decided to get it professionally cleaned. By the end of the day, the company 8 staff in there and broke 2 vacuums as the carpet was so full of dust.

You can seem at OP response he was surprised he actually had to make a decent effort of cleaning the house.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

newacc2015 wrote: »
    You can seem at OP response he was surprised he actually had to make a decent effort of cleaning the house.

Or you could see the OPs surprise at being expected to return the house in better condition that he received it.

Graham wrote: »
    Or you could see the OPs surprise at being expected to return the house in better condition that he received it.

In the absence of photographs, "condition" is subjective. Seriously, wouldn't you think that the thing to do is put a bit of elbow grease into it and just get your deposit back?

davo10 wrote: »
    In the absence of photographs, "condition" is subjective. Seriously, wouldn't you think that the thing to do is put a bit of elbow grease into it and just get your deposit back?

I'd have no problem returning any property in at least as good a condition as I received it. If I thought the landlord was trying to pull a fast one insisting on more, I'd take my chances with the PRTB.

I can't see the PRTB supporting a landlords complaint that the grouting hadn't been scrubbed in accordance with their specific conditions.

Graham wrote: »
    I'd have no problem returning any property in at least as good a condition as I received it. If I thought the landlord was trying to pull a fast one insisting on more, I'd take my chances with the PRTB.

I can't see the PRTB supporting a landlords complaint that the grouting hadn't been scrubbed in accordance with their specific conditions.

Or, you could just clean it, get your deposit back and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

Scrub grouting with a toothbrush? Don't forget to dust the lightbulbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Last I heard landlords could not legally deduct from the deposit for cleaning costs

Bambi wrote: »
    Last I heard landlords could not legally deduct from the deposit for cleaning costs

They can but there are limitations and they can't charge for their own time.

Advertisement