Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I lay my computer on it's side?

Options
  • 21-02-2016 6:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

Hi I got a new computer and I was going to get rid of my old one but I decided to hook it up to my smart tv as the smart of that TV ain't so smart, I want real internet on that TV rather the a crap imitation that's on it.

so

Q1 can I hook up my old PC and make my tv a really real smart TV?

Q2 there's no room beside te tv unless I put the PC on its side, but is that safe? I have young children so I want it out of the way? and to be safe and not cause a fire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,170 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What are you trying to get onto the telly?

A Steam Link would do a lot without having the PC behind the telly. I've Kodi running through mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Hi I got a new computer and I was going to get rid of my old one but I decided to hook it up to my smart tv as the smart of that TV ain't so smart, I want real internet on that TV rather the a crap imitation that's on it.

so

Q1 can I hook up my old PC and make my tv a really real smart TV?

Q2 there's no room beside te tv unless I put the PC on its side, but is that safe? I have young children so I want it out of the way? and to be safe and not cause a fire.

Should be fine unless you are blocking ventilation in the process. Computer would just turn off if it got to hot anyway rather than catch fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

What are you trying to get onto the telly?

A Steam Link would do a lot without having the PC behind the telly. I've Kodi running through mine.

Basically, I got a 40 inch smart TV and I find the smart side limiting. Rather then throw out the computer I want to hook it to the TV that way instead of imitation Internet I gain full advantage of the old computer.

I don't need fire sticks or google chrome casts i just want to know if it is safe to hook the PC to the computer and "have it lie on its side"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

These days you can get Android boxes for 40 euro, might be the easier option. But it's safe as long as you're not blocking fans or vents, which is unlikely in any case.

Should be fine unless you are blocking ventilation in the process. Computer would just turn off if it got to hot anyway rather than catch fire.

so if I put a few of my kids wooden building block under its
    ide and lie it down it will work ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

i just want to know if it is safe to hook the PC to the computer and "have it lie on its side"?

It'll be fine.

These days you can get Android boxes for 40 euro, might be the easier option. But it's safe as long as you're not blocking fans or vents, which is unlikely in any case.

we had 2 of those boxes one bought in china for my wife and one bought here None of the work properly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

so if I put a few of my kids wooden building block under its
    ide and lie it down it will work ok?
    Yep, no worries.

also i have two HDDs inside but secured to the chassis they will e ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

They'll be fine. My PCs are always on their side, never an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭JamBur

Position it so that the motherboard is at the bottom, any peripheral cards could come loose if they are left hanging upside down

Advertisement