Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old RTE TV Show

Options
  • 21-02-2016 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to track down the name of an old RTE TV show which brought you through a celebrities house and you had to guess who owned it before they revealed it at the end.

I'm looking for both the name of the show and the theme tune they used to play during it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭George White

Through the Keyhole? That was UK, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Through the Keyhole? That was UK, though.

No it was definitely Irish Celebs and I thought it was called "Whose house is it anyway" but I can't find any reference to it on Google.

Thanks for the reply anyway ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Did Gerry Ryan have something to do with it? Maybe it was part of his Secrets show or the later Ryantown?

Koloman wrote: »
    Did Gerry Ryan have something to do with it? Maybe it was part of his Secrets show or the later Ryantown?

I can't be sure but I don't think so. I think it may have had a female presenter.

The music they played while moving through the house was an instrumental piece. I know I have that mp3 here somewhere but I can't remember what I named it so I can't do a search for it :mad:

Just heard that piece of music on a McVitie's ad for digestives with kittens.

It's the Beverly Hills Cop Main Theme.

Might jog someones memory as to what the show was called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭katkin

Just heard that piece of music on a McVitie's ad for digestives with kittens.

It's the Beverly Hills Cop Main Theme.

Might jog someones memory as to what the show was called?

Was it Through the hall door or something

katkin wrote: »
    Was it Through the hall door or something

I think you might be mixing it up with the RTE home makeover show ‘Beyond the Hall Door’

Neither are the one I'm looking for but thanks anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Secrets had a round of Through the Key hole. AFAIR Brenda from The Gerry Ryan Show took over from Clíona Ní Bhuchalla. Both would rummage around the house of the celebrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

Elmo wrote: »
    Secrets had a round of Through the Key hole. AFAIR Brenda from The Gerry Ryan Show took over from Clíona Ní Bhuchalla. Both would rummage around the house of the celebrity.

SECRETS - Now this brings back a few memories alright - the show presented by the late 2FM DJ Gerry Ryan used go out on RTÉ 1 tv around 8:00pm on a Saturday night before 9 o'clock news. Then an episode of "Dallas" followed by "Kenny Live" with Pat Kenny if I recall. I wonder if "Winning Streak" with Mike Murphy was broadcast earlier in the same evening in those days or perhaps a different night altogether?

Meanwhile back to SECRETS, The actor Joe Taylor (he used read out viewers opinions from letters received to Mailbag with Arthur Murphy) Joe Taylor would often appear on SECRETS with Gerry in a brown jacket overalls like as a Mr. Maintenance guy. The show was largely variety based and had some similar elements to Noel Edmond's Late Late Breakfast Show which went out on BBC tv early Saturday evenings. U would have had Gerry in his pony tail hairstyle and lots of ice-breaker Truth or Dare type activities like getting covered in fluorescent colour sludge in a cubicle.

Prior to SECRETS going out on RTÉ 1 tv, I suspect you probably had a US import like MacGyver with Richard Dean Anderson in the lead role in the same time slot on RTÉ 1 which I understand is about to return to the small screen with a new actor taking on the hero role!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Winning Streak Friday at 8:30 just 30mins

Saturday looked like this AFAIR

6 News
    6:30 Mailbag
    6:45 Talkabout with ian Dempsey
    7 Star Trek TNG / Mission Impossible
    8 Secrets
    9 news
    9:30 Dallas
    10:20 Kenny Live

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Winning Streak Friday at 8:30 just 30mins

Saturday looked like this AFAIR

6 News
    6:30 Mailbag
    6:45 Talkabout with ian Dempsey
    7 Star Trek TNG / Mission Impossible
    8 Secrets
    9 news
    9:30 Dallas
    10:20 Kenny Live

Very good .. life was so simple in those days
    Talkabout was such cheap tv - was Iano the original presenter of that programme as I also seem to recall Alan Hughes (now TV3/Ireland am)did a long stint as presenter of this RTÉ version in between coming home for the weekend in that classic ESB tv advert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

https://youtu.be/s6psq4czrIM

Anyone remember this

That's excellent nostalgia! - I completely forgot all about this promo of SECRETS but yes it is something I remember viewing at the time! Joe Taylor at the back, I didn't know the lady next but alongside her was Clíona and then Gerry who looked very well. It's depicting a well known scene in the film "Ice Cold Alex" featuring John Mills if I'm not mistaken? Gerry was good at playing characters and he would have got this from his mother's side of his family as she was steeped in doing variety on stage AFAIK. Cheers man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

That's excellent nostalgia! - I completely forgot all about this promo of SECRETS but yes it is something I remember viewing at the time! Joe Taylor at the back, I didn't know the lady next but alongside her was Clíona and then Gerry who looked very well. It's depicting a well known scene in the film "Ice Cold Alex" featuring John Mills if I'm not mistaken? Gerry was good at playing characters and he would have got this from his mother's side of his family as she was steeped in doing variety on stage AFAIK. Cheers man!

The girl next to Joe is Brenda O Donohoe gerrys sidekick for many a year.. She was the original roving reporter.

Was secrets the one where they covered some of them in gunge aswell as part of one of the games or was that Ryan town?

Another classic from Geary Ryan was the school around the corner he had a great way of interviewing kids and adults.

Edit: sorry just read back the thread about the gunge ha i was thinking I wasn't wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Not the best clip from the show but a reminder nonetheless.

https://youtu.be/jgYVOD6Bgfo

Advertisement