Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door frame marked overnight in Wood Park Ballinteer

Options
  • 21-02-2016 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Can't see a neighbourhood watch thread on this forum, apologies if there is one, mods feel free to move.

Just wanted to share this, a family member found this on their front door frame this morning. Definitely wasn't there last night. Gardai say it's not a recognised marker but it has my family member spooked.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Looks more like random graffiti? Obviously take it off, if it reappears then get worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Is that 'recognized marker' rumour true then? I always just thought it was Facebook scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Prob just kids.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thanks. It's very small just to be graffiti or kids. They've removed it now and hopefully it was nothing but wanted to share it just in case anyone else spots it in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Seems strange - lots of politicians on doorsteps recently, maybe they are making likely voters? [Joking]

What does it say - "Skieey" is that right?

• Advertisement

RainyDay wrote: »
    Seems strange - lots of politicians on doorsteps recently, maybe they are making likely voters? [Joking]

What does it say - "Skieey" is that right?

Possibly...someone suggested the last letter is a t and that's slang for beautiful in some parts of the country :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,929 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Is that 'recognized marker' rumour true then? I always just thought it was Facebook scaremongering.

It is nonsense - why would burglars share information with each other?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/da-pinchi-code-police-conclude-innocent-and-explainable-symbols-are-not-a-mysterious-code-for-a6819921.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,929 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

athtrasna wrote: »

I'm still calling shenanigans, why would a burglar leave a sign saying "already been burgled" - out of concern for his fellow burglars wasting their time?

"Well, I've just burgled this house, but rather than making a hasty getaway I'll stand around on the footpath with my loot, writing obscure symbols for future potential burglars to use" - it's total urban myth.

athtrasna wrote: »

From the article; "A Garda spokesman said there was “insufficient evidence to significantly link such markings with burglaries”."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The notion of marking houses to come back to later has been thoroughly dispelled, not least because it doesn't make any sense.

If burglars wanted to keep track of which houses they think would be a good bet, they'd write it on a piece of paper. Making marks on the house itself just means the homeowner will be alerted.

If I was to guess, it was someone living in the house or one of their mates. If the door is right out on the public street, then it was just some passing idiot who thinks writing their nickname on things makes them an artist.

seamus wrote: »

If I was to guess, it was someone living in the house or one of their mates. If the door is right out on the public street, then it was just some passing idiot who thinks writing their nickname on things makes them an artist.

Seeing as they are a couple with a baby that's unlikely ;) they're near the end of their cul de sac and have a steep driveway to their door so not likely to be just someone passing either.

Thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Never seen that one, but I'd be careful especially if it re-appears. My neighbor found a marker on one of those small grey electricity boxes outside his door. It was in chalk and marked out an X, seems pretty common. We have very advanced security on our house as a result of the previous owner being a wealthy businessman so we have never got. Car has been taken though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Odelay

Elemonator wrote: »
    Never seen that one, but I'd be careful especially if it re-appears. My neighbor found a marker on one of those small grey electricity boxes outside his door. It was in chalk and marked out an X, seems pretty common. We have very advanced security on our house as a result of the previous owner being a wealthy businessman so we have never got. Car has been taken though.

You should go around and mark all the other boxes with an x, confuse them

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The thing I find most strange is that I get the impression the Gardai did not completely dismiss & rubbish the idea of "markers", or did they?

Especially in this case, if you were a burglar and wanted to leave some discreet marking I can think of countless better ones than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Elemonator wrote: »
    Never seen that one, but I'd be careful especially if it re-appears. My neighbor found a marker on one of those small grey electricity boxes outside his door. It was in chalk and marked out an X, seems pretty common. h.

That's very likely done by ESB networks or a whichever firms needs to access the box.
    You'll often see chalk / spray paint markings around these boxes, especially if work is planned.

rubadub wrote: »
    The thing I find most strange is that I get the impression the Gardai did not completely dismiss & rubbish the idea of "markers", or did they?

Especially in this case, if you were a burglar and wanted to leave some discreet marking I can think of countless better ones than that.

From the article; "A Garda spokesman said there was “insufficient evidence to significantly link such markings with burglaries”."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

whiskeyman wrote: »
    That's very likely done by ESB networks or a whichever firms needs to access the box.
    You'll often see chalk / spray paint markings around these boxes, especially if work is planned.

That was the first thing we thought of but usually they are done with spray paint I think so the rain doesn't wash it away. The neighbors friend is a guard and he confirmed the marking had been found outside houses that were then burgled.

Advertisement