Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[Questions] pricing, perks and limitations

Options
  • 21-02-2016 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello,

I have couple of questions about drivers permits that for which I haven't found definitive answers.

First of, why do I have to take 12 EDT drives over a period of 6 months, why can't i do it in week or two/three and take a test? (I know how to drive, have another "non exchangeable" drivers licence)

Secondly, can I simultaneously learn to drive/take a test for B and for A cat.?

If I pass exam for C category, do I automatically get B category? Or are there any perks in sense of getting two categories for price of one?

Do I have any limitations for driving with A category? What about C category?

My idea was to get A and B, and for the first two years, until I get full B licence, to drive a motorcycle.

Also, for taking a drivers test for B cat. all I have to pass is eye exam? No other kind of medical exam?

Can I get theory test book from library so I don't have to buy it?

How to find a good school that teaches A and B (and maybe C)?

What are current prices for A, B and C cats (from start to finish), including theory test, medical, and issue of drivers licence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

Hi! I'll try to answer as best I can, to see if I can help.

You don't have to take the EDT spread out over 6 months, you could take all 12 lessons in the same week if you found an instructor who was willing. You do however have to wait six months after getting a learner permit to sit the test. This was designed to encourage learners to spread out lessons to once every two weeks with practice in between, in order to become a more competent and experienced driver. Not much you can do about that, unfortunately.

You can learn to drive category A and B at the same time, but as far as I'm aware you will get two separate learner permits (not definite on that one) and will have to pass one test before taking the other. If/when you pass the test for the second category, you can add that category to your full licence for the first.

To my knowledge (again, not definite) you must hold a full category B licence before applying for a learner permit for category C. It doesn't work the other way around.

Pricing will vary depending on your location, the type of driving instruction you receive (private ADI or as part of a school), and the amount of lessons you require (if you want more than the 12 mandatory EDT for a car, for example). I got 16 lessons (including EDT) and rented my instructor's car for my category B test, and that cost me 590 euro. The test cost 85 euro (I think it's the same price for a category A but more expensive for category C) and the licence cost 55 euro. Again, there are many factors that will influence what you pay.

I hope I helped!

EDIT: Adding extra information as I forgot some of your questions (the perks of answering on a mobile).

Yes, you can get the theory test book from a library. They can also provide you with the CD containing the practice tests.

You need to pass an eye test before applying for your learner permit. There is no eye test as part of the driving test. You bring your eyesight report with you when you go to the NDLS.

You are restricted in certain categories based on your age, and also based on the licence that you currently hold. For example, a full A licence is only available to those of 24 years of age, but this is reduced if you hold a full licence for a lower category (e.g. A2).

Finally, you can find a good school by using the sticky thread in the Learning to Drive forum (yes, this one) to get a good recommendation for your area. Alternatively, if you know anybody in your area who is also learning to drove, ask them. Word of mouth played a significant part in choosing my own instructor, and I passed my test the first time. If I could offer any advice, I would say choose quality over price as the biggest factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

If you have a full licence from another country you may not need to wait 6 months to sit your test once you/the issuing country can prove that you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 futuredubliner

@da7800 thank you, btw, i was researching a bit more, and noticed that theory test you take is valid for b and for w (work) classes of vehicles.
    what do you know about w licence? can i drive work v. (like tractor, forklift...) with it, or do i have limitations like with b cat.?

also, i have to wait 2 years to hook a trailer of some kind to a car with b cat licence, right?

ok, i am over 24 years, so i can get full a licence, or do i have to get a1, then a2, and only after that (or more?) i can get a?

@mascotdec85, at citizens information site, i found this
    Holders of driving licences from other countries

If you are not from any of the above countries, (for example, if you are from the United States), and you hold a national driving licence and an international driving permit from your own country, you may drive in Ireland for the duration of your temporary visit (up to 12 months).

If your stay in Ireland will be more than 12 months you can apply for an Irish driving licence but you will need to go through the full driver licensing procedure. You must first complete a driver theory test, apply for a learner driving permit and complete your driving test in Ireland. If you pass your driving test, you will be issued with an Irish driving licence.

so, according to this i don't see any benefit in holding an non-irish driving licence, so, how sure are you about waving of the 6 months rule?

one thing i cannot comprehend is that there is no medical exam for a and b licences... just eye exam, so any lunatic can have a drivers license if he can pass theory, and driving test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dennyk

Regarding the six-month rule exemption, see:

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Learner-Drivers/Safe-Driving1/6-Month-Rule/
    A holder of a current full driving licence from another country (jurisdiction) for more than six months is exempt from this requirement, provided you forward a current original driving licence and a letter of entitlement from the relevant licensing authority in that country to the:

Customer Service Manager
    Driver Testing Section,
    Road Safety Authority,
    Moy Valley Business Park,
    Ballina,
    Co. Mayo
    drivingtest@rsa.ie
    1890 40 60 40

Applicants are advised to forward their original licence by registered post.

A letter of entitlement refers to a copy of a driver record with details of name, address, date of birth, driver number, date of expiry of licence and class of licence to include details of what that class refers to.

You need a medical certification if you have any medical conditions that might affect your ability to drive. The permit application asks you about a number of conditions that would require a medical report; if you answer yes to any of them, then you have to submit one. Obviously there isn't anything that would prevent folks from lying, I suppose, but many of them wouldn't show up during a brief medical examination either, so it's not like requiring an exam would help much.

@denny boy, this is great, I only have to find out how the hell can I get that letter from this country :D

• Advertisement

If anybody is interested, I have contacted authorities and they said that you don't need Hague Apostille for translated text regarding your current countries driver's licence

Advertisement