Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astral Projection experience and questions

Options
  • 21-02-2016 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

The other day whilst very hungover, I had an out of body experience.

It wasn't my first but was definitely the most comprehensive. When I was a kid I used to close my eyes and beautiful patterns would sometimes appear after a while and sometimes I would be see moving images and the feeling that I was travelling somehow.

This time I was lying in bed trying to relax when I got that feeling of my body going to sleep but my mind was awake and very conscious. Hard to describe but it was like my body was vibrating at a high rate and the usual purple-black darkness you see when your eyes are shut revealed a sort of a picture within a picture.

I then became aware that I was looking down upon myself lying there. Not at first because I didn't recognize the person - I had my hands crossed over my face. But as I took my hands down the person below me did the same and in my mind I kinda went 'Ok, this is actually happening...'

It was hard not to get excited and wake up from what was happening but being so hungover kinda helped actually, because I was in a whatever kinda mood at the time. After what seemed like a few minutes I was able to move around the room pretty well, a bit like trying out a new video game for the first time and having to figure out the controls.

Everything had a smooth, chrome quality to it, a bit like one of the Predators vision modes in the film if that makes any sense? I couldn't really see details on objects but I knew what they were. Tried for a while to move outside the room and have a zoom around the yard outside but I seemed stuck up against the window and would kinda slide up and down it although I could see the trees and other objects outside. Anyone know why this was?

After about 30 mins I took a break for a few minutes and 'woke up' but was able to go back again afterwards and do more of the same.

Afterwards I felt refreshed and quite elated.

I've been reading a lot online and in previous threads about AP and there seems to be many different schools of thought on the matter.

I know what I experienced but not why it happened or what it really meant. Is it a sort of waking dream or was I really zipping around in the astral plane?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

Just to add...

I'm thinking about what happened and bits and pieces are coming back to me.

I think breathing a certain way definitely helped get to the 'state' that I was in. I try to do deep diaphragm breathing whenever stressed or whenever I'm trying to relax - long breaths in through the nose right into the belly, holding for a few seconds then slowly releasing through the mouth.

It helps the body relax and regulate the amount of oxygen that's being used. After a while you reach a sort of balance where very little needs to be taken in or out, everything is slowed right down. I was at this stage around the time the 'interesting' stuff started to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

AP is a step above lucid dreaming - jody whitely on youtube helps get you started if you want to try doing it again.

Alot of stuff on youtube about it - some awful tripe but if you want to sift through it you will get some good information from a few sources.

The first time I heard of it I think was from the spirit science youtube videos - im sure if you search it you can find it - gives some theories on dimension shifting, precautions to take, entities etc.

Im not saying all this is true or false before anyone jumps on me, im just telling you my experience of learning about it. Spirit science videos are a bit mad and sped up and are a bit hard to listen to - I might actually go watch that one again tho as they are always interesting.

Edit - just watching it here - interesting what you say - its pretty much spot on ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

Iv had 3 short experiences,the first was about 20 years ago, I was hungover and lying on a couch feeling very relaxed then I found myself floating down the hallway towards my bedroom.It was so real and I knew it wasnt a dream, I started thinking what will i do?where will i go? but as I got excited my awareness went back to me on the couch.It lasted about 10 seconds.
    It didnt happen again until last year when I had 2.The first was similar to your experience because I found myself stuck up high in the corner of the room between the wall and the ceiling,I couldnt move or get out through the wall and I had no control at all.it lasted about 10 seconds again.
    The last one was funny because when I awoke/became aware ,I was upside down in the back seat of my car.I had no control and I was stuck again.I saw the funny side of it and as I laughed and fumbled trying to get the right way up I went back to my bed.
    These experiences are too real to be a dream and very unbelievable until you have one.
    Iv had a few lucid dreams too which are much more fun but dont last very long.I always try to levitate and fly and it always works.I have no control over when it happens either.its all very random but fun.
    There is a group based in london,The International Academy of Consciousness..they do weekend courses and events.I havent been over to see them yet but i do intend to travel(physically):) when the time is right.
    http://www.iacworld.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭JohnBee

You didn't have an outer body experience, your brain which was still bathing in alcohol was playing tricks on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Being hungover and lying on the couch seems to be a common theme!

• Advertisement

JohnBee wrote: »
    You didn't have an outer body experience, your brain which was still bathing in alcohol was playing tricks on you.

yes it was....the first time,25 years ago..........the latest experiences are completely sober experiences

NIMAN wrote: »
    Being hungover and lying on the couch seems to be a common theme!

its a great way to relax which is a common theme.

Den_M wrote: »
    Is it a sort of waking dream or was I really zipping around in the astral plane?

pick a card,dont look at it and place it face up somewhere high in you bedroom.The next time you feel that you are out,look at the card.
    you can also stick it on a window facing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

This happens me a fair bit, has been happening 22 years now. Starts with paralysis and mad vibrations- if these start and I'm not bothered / freaked I will wakeup and go back to sleep again- or if daytime, walk about for a bit, but usually I just go with it.
    Funny so many experiences when one gets 'stuck' in a ceiling corner- like a helium balloon, I get this too all the time!
    The worst part is trying to wake your body when you come back I find, oftentimes I think I'm awake, walking out of the room but something is not right, and I'm out again.
    One weird thing, I have never seen my face asleep, I've seen my shape in the bed but can never see my face?
    This just started happening to me when I was around 20, and am wondering if it has anything to do with a NDE I experienced around that time too And not a nice one either. I had never heard of astral projection/ travel when it started happening to me and at first it was terrifying.
    I have read sleep paralysis stories on boards where people feel other people or entities are in the room with them, thankfully I have not yet experienced that. I burn sage round the house regularly because I don't wanna meet anyone/ thing!
    Lucid dreaming is an experience too, if you can manage to not wake up physically, but i've had some rather strange ones that are a bit dark and it seems I don't have full 'control'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Myotherworld

This is fascinating. Would you also describe it as your soul travelling? I had one experience when I was a teenager, I was flying over my home town and when I woke I felt really really exhilarated and thought it was very real, but put it down to a dream. It was some time later when I saw pictures of the area taken from a helicopter that I was stumped. I recognised what I saw when I "travelled". I genuinely had my heart in my mouth when I saw the pics. My family laughed at me. Is this astral travelling projection or what ever it's called?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

This is fascinating. Would you also describe it as your soul travelling? I had one experience when I was a teenager, I was flying over my home town and when I woke I felt really really exhilarated and thought it was very real, but put it down to a dream. It was some time later when I saw pictures of the area taken from a helicopter that I was stumped. I recognised what I saw when I "travelled". I genuinely had my heart in my mouth when I saw the pics. My family laughed at me. Is this astral travelling projection or what ever it's called?

Were you hungover as well ?

Were you hungover as well ?

Haha very funny. No absolutely not and not on Any thing. Just an innocent teenager at the time! The mind is capable of doing many strange things so im open to all explanations!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I always used to get sleep paralysis when lying on the couch hungover. I'd start drifting off and then, bam, paralysed with the notion of ghosts tormenting me :(

I experimented a bit with AP when I was a teenager and it was totally different to the hangover couch experiences. Can't remember now exactly what it was like but I remember feeling exhilarated and flying. However, I'm still undecided on whether it actually is an out of body experience as opposed to a deep serene state of meditation. There are lots of guided AP meditations on YouTube but not sure how well they work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Just remembered there too, myself and my friend used to test each other. Neither of us had been to the other's house so we would plan to astral project to each other's house and then try and describe it afterwards to see how accurate we were. Sounds lame now trying to explain it :o But anyway, some of our descriptions of each others bedrooms etc were weirdly accurate. But again, I'm still undecided on whether we actually did AP (or whether it's even possible) or just had vivid imaginations.

Mrspostman....u say Weirdly accurate? Msy be u subconsciously drew details from conversations you've had.

Advertisement