Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dessert for dinner party

Options
  • 21-02-2016 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

So having a dinner party in a couple of weeks, it's been a while! I was thinking about an Indian meal but changed my mind. I'm going to now do fish cakes to start, followed by pan fried duck breast. I'm unsure on dessert. I'm sort of thinking profiteroles, cheese cake or banoffi pie.

I'm coeliac so it has to be doable gluten free, any interesting suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

So having a dinner party in a couple of weeks, it's been a while! I was thinking about an Indian meal but changed my mind. I'm going to now do fish cakes to start, followed by pan fried duck breast. I'm unsure on dessert. I'm sort of thinking profiteroles, cheese cake or banoffi pie.

I'm coeliac so it has to be doable gluten free, any interesting suggestions?

Perhaps an easy dessert you can make in advance and a cheese board. The cheese board always goes down well and is so easy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Perhaps an easy dessert you can make in advance and a cheese board. The cheese board always goes down well and is so easy!!!

Was going to do cheese too ;0) Didn't want to seem like a glutton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

I would do a lemon or chocolate mousse or trifle type dessert such as a tiramisu , all made and ready in individual serving glasses so no last minute prep needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Pavlova? Gluten free and can be made the day before, just add the cream and fruit on the day.

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    Pavlova? Gluten free and can be made the day before, just add the cream and fruit on the day.

I just said to my husband, not a pavlova as it's generally the only dessert available if we eat out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Fish cakes and duck breast are both rich and filling courses so I think your dessert needs to be light, something like meringues with cream/ice-cream and fruit. Or pavlova,/fruit salad would be better in my opinion than another filling item such as profiteroles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Lemon Posset. Can be made ahead and is delicious and refreshing but a little bit bold :-) Also so simple to make!

You can have homemade shortbread/gluten free biscuit on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

http://www.delicious.com.au/recipes/basque-burnt-cheesecake/fc475c9e-eeca-4d37-9601-cf57e0103fd0

I've recently started making this after having it in a restaurant. It's similar enough to a creme br l e. There's a tablespoon of flour so you may be able to substitute that with a gluten free option. I do find I've to cook it for an extra 15 / 20 mins as you want the top to be quite dark as the burnt sugar on the top is lovely!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Eton mess. Easy peasy and lovely. Can be made ahead too with a dollop of cream on top just as you serve it with a drizzle of raspberry/strawberry syrup. Gluten free too AFAIK.

Dinner parties are enjoyable only when the host can enjoy it too, and is not faffing about in the kitchen. That's why it's something on a long cook in the oven, and an easy dessert too. The wine will cover any mistakes. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Re the Eton mess, forgot to say that I ALWAYS keep a small freezer bag full of rasps and strawbs (frozen) for this. They can go gooey when defrosted, but are grand in the Eton mess. When the fruit is out of season I top with grated dark choc.

God I'd love some now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Flourless chocolate cake/brownies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Creme Brûlée?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Can vouch for how delicious this cheesecake is and so easily made the night before. You can always sub the base for gluten free biccies
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/35268/no-bake-vanilla-cheesecake.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Lime pie. Easy peasy, done the day before, light and zesty but still sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Pannacotta, can be made in advance, simple to make and have a little bit of a wow factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Flourless chocolate cake. This one is amazing.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056186314

Its unbelievable served with some cream or ice cream and fresh strawberries. Mmm.

Thanks to everyone for some great ideas. I'm very much a chef that cooks ahead as much as possible. Now, if anyone can point me toward where my 2 year old hid the remote for the media player I will eternally be your slave!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Fruit salad (especially a la Nevin with star anise in the syrup) - so refresing after heavy duck.

Advertisement