Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Made brown soda bread. Crust is like a brick. Any hints?

Options
  • 21-02-2016 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭

I think I asked this ages ago, but can't find the message now.

Anyway, I made Darina Allen's soda bread earlier. Didn't over work it, was careful about the measurements etc.

Did the tapping bit, and the cocktail stick test. But my god the inside was fab, but the crust was like the concrete on the path outside my door.

I did throw a teatowel over it when it came out of the oven, but it didn't seem to help all that much.

There must be some trick to getting a soft outer layer like the shop bought stuff. Does anyone know?

BTW I know some people like the crusty crust, but after spending thousands on dental work I have no intention of breaking an implant with this crust lol.

And thank you if you have any insider tips!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Cover it in the oven while cooking?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Stheno wrote: »

Do you mean in a pyrex type dish with a lid or similar?

Would I leave off the lid for the last few minutes or so to cook through? but yes, that sounds promising!

I like a bit of a crust, but not concrete!

Thank you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Do you mean in a pyrex type dish with a lid or similar?

Would I leave off the lid for the last few minutes or so to cook through? but yes, that sounds promising!

I like a bit of a crust, but not concrete!

Thank you.
    No maybe cover it with greaseproof paper for the most of the cooking time, like the way you'd cover a chicken or turkey with tinfoil to stop the skin burning?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I usually wrap it in a large tea towel when I take it out of the oven and leave it in it until it cools completely. That helps to soften the crust.

*Moved to the Cakes & Bakes forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Wrap it in cling film when you bring out of the oven works, also I'd say your oven is to hot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ceemgee

Cover it in greaseproof paper while it is cooking. I'd make sure that the greaseproof was stuck to the top so that it doesn't blow off in a fan oven. I'd then wrap in a damp tea towel when i took it out of the oven. If the top was too bad, then I'd cut it off and turn the loaf upside down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Wrap it in a damp teatowel when it comes out. But fresh bread is usually very crunchy crust, the crust will be a lot softer the next day and if you freeze the bread it's very soft crust when thawed. Not suggesting you freeze just for this reason but it's handy to have some in the freezer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

How long was it is the oven and at what temperature ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Lightly dampened tea towel or a muslin cloth and wrap it up when it comes out of the oven. This will soften the crust as it cools

The crust should be crunchy on a soda bread so don't soften it too much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

You may have sorted this out by now but I used to have the exact same problem with my soda bread - lovely on the inside but the crust...oh my god, you couldn't bite or cut it or do anything with it, it was so hard!

Anyway, these days it's lovely and what sorted it for me was a wetter dough. A bit more milk and now the crust is right every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Derekblake

Stheno wrote: »

Hi there, I make one in my cast iron 21cm oven skillet with the lid on. It comes out soft. U could try that? It takes longer to cook tho btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Damp, not wet, tea towel for me

• Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd say it was in the oven for too long. There is no need for any more than a teatowel wrapped round it when it comes out of the oven (neither wet nor damp, just a clean tea towel)

Edit - just looked at the recipe, looks like the oven is a bit hot. It needs to cook quickly but I don't think the 15 minutes at 230 is necessary, the whole cooking time at 200 would be fine. And I have no idea what the wash and dry your hands bit is. Pull the mixture together on a board or in a bowl (I prefer a bowl) turn it over a couple of times to make it hold together then into a sponge cake tin or onto a flat tin, cut it and bake.

Advertisement