Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of questions regarding Dublin City

Options
  • 21-02-2016 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hello,

I shall move to Dublin in couple of months and I would like to get all the necessary info before I move, so I would appreciate it greatly if you would be so kind to help me (male, late 20s, if that is important).

Firstly, is it possible to rent a room/apartment without physically being in Dublin? (as in, how great is the chance that someone will keep an room for me, if we make a deal over the internet, and even more, is it even possible to make that kind of a deal or are people afraid?)

Secondly, what are "no go" places in Dublin, and places where I don't want to rent a room/apartment?

How to efficiently filter search results for room letting to display only single bed room WITHOUT sharing bed or room?

Is it possible to find a room/apartment that is max 35-40 minutes by walk for less than 500 euros per month? How about with some kind of public transportation?

Is it possible to be an tenant in student dormitory without enrolling to uni?
    Is it possible to work and study (as in, does Trinity offer weekend classes, and are all classes mandatory)?

As I mention public transportation, I have "heard" (read) that I must get leap card. One thing I'm not quite sure about leap is, does it matter if I go 1 bus station or do I ride from first to last bus stop, regarding the price of the ride? Also on leap site I noticed that I have to give 5 eur as deposit, and that is refundable, but how do I refund it, by "closing" my leap account?

I noticed that luas is at strike, how does this reflect on public transportation in real life?

What is best kind of public transportation (best in tardiness, cleanliness, cost, connection...)?

I heard about dublinbikes, and noticed that if you ride for less than half an hour (I guess per trip), the ride is free. My question is, are there enough bike parkings to "hop" from one parking to another in less than half an hour if I need it?
    How are the bikes? Are they in ok shape?

Is there an "industrial zone" (where most of factories are located), or are factories scattered around Dublin?

Now, some leisure questions.

How good is Dublin's library book collection? Does it have more than books? How much is the library card id? How long is it valid?

How much are film screenings in Dublin? What is the best cinema? I noticed on cineworld's site that there is unlimited card, and that it costs 22 eur, and one 2d movie ticket is 12,4 eur, so it "pays off" if you watch at least two movies, but, I didn't find how much do I have to pay for 3d/imax if I have unlimited card?

How often are there music concerts (rock and such)? How about some gigs at pubs/bars? Any good club with electronic music? What are the prices, entrance fee, drinks...?

How about shopping, I'm interested to know, what is best (price wise) grocery shop? Tesco? Lidl? or something else?

How about prices at restaurants? For some, not fancy, meal, like pizza, or kebab, or hamburger, or similar?

What is best pre-paid mobile operator? I do not need mobile phone, just a pre paid card.
    Is it possible to transfer one mobile number from prepaid to postpaid (bill pay) plan? How about from one network to another?

Does any operator offer mobile internet as part of prepaid next to minutes and sms?

Is it possible to learn Irish language for free in Dublin?

What else should I know?

Thanks a million in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

See Answers in bold
    Hello,

I shall move to Dublin in couple of months and I would like to get all the necessary info before I move, so I would appreciate it greatly if you would be so kind to help me (male, late 20s, if that is important).

Firstly, is it possible to rent a room/apartment without physically being in Dublin? (as in, how great is the chance that someone will keep an room for me, if we make a deal over the internet, and even more, is it even possible to make that kind of a deal or are people afraid?)

Almost certainly not. There is a big demand and people are not willing to hold rooms. It also massively increases the chances of you being scammed. I strongly suggest making alternative arrangements and finding something when you're here.

Secondly, what are "no go" places in Dublin, and places where I don't want to rent a room/apartment?

It really depends on you. The problem with Dublin is three streets over can make all the difference. I'd focus on getting FIRST HAND info of reasonable areas than worrying about the very small number of no go areas in Dublin.

How to efficiently filter search results for room letting to display only single bed room WITHOUT sharing bed or room?

Is it possible to find a room/apartment that is max 35-40 minutes by walk for less than 500 euros per month? How about with some kind of public transportation?

Look in the North Dublin Suburbs on the DART line. Raheny, Kilbarrack, Kilester, maybe Donaghmede in proximity to Howth Junction DART. There will be other places but those are where I suggest.

Is it possible to work and study (as in, does Trinity offer weekend classes, and are all classes mandatory)?

Try Griffith College Halls, you won't get into TCD halls even if you're a fulltime student most likely.

As I mention public transportation, I have "heard" (read) that I must get leap card. One thing I'm not quite sure about leap is, does it matter if I go 1 bus station or do I ride from first to last bus stop, regarding the price of the ride? Also on leap site I noticed that I have to give 5 eur as deposit, and that is refundable, but how do I refund it, by "closing" my leap account?

I noticed that luas is at strike, how does this reflect on public transportation in real life?

Strikes are rare, you can go €5 in to debt on the leap card (your deposit). I'd get a leap card as buses require exact change.

What is best kind of public transportation (best in tardiness, cleanliness, cost, connection...)?

DART is by far the best. Buses depend where they're going really. Many will lead you believe the 46A is powered by rainbows. The 39A smells like it's powered by weed.

I heard about dublinbikes, and noticed that if you ride for less than half an hour (I guess per trip), the ride is free. My question is, are there enough bike parkings to "hop" from one parking to another in less than half an hour if I need it?

Bikes are grand - dublin drivers on the other hand.

Is there an "industrial zone" (where most of factories are located), or are factories scattered around Dublin?

Not really

How good is Dublin's library book collection? Does it have more than books? How much is the library card id? How long is it valid?

How much are film screenings in Dublin? What is the best cinema? I noticed on cineworld's site that there is unlimited card, and that it costs 22 eur, and one 2d movie ticket is 12,4 eur, so it "pays off" if you watch at least two movies, but, I didn't find how much do I have to pay for 3d/imax if I have unlimited card?

How often are there music concerts (rock and such)? How about some gigs at pubs/bars? Any good club with electronic music? What are the prices, entrance fee, drinks...?

How about shopping, I'm interested to know, what is best (price wise) grocery shop? Tesco? Lidl? or something else?

Dublin has loads going on, grocery is Lidl or Aldi for value, a good green grocer and butcher will be even better value once you know the area

How about prices at restaurants? For some, not fancy, meal, like pizza, or kebab, or hamburger, or similar?

PHX Bistro

What is best pre-paid mobile operator? I do not need mobile phone, just a pre paid card.
    Is it possible to transfer one mobile number from prepaid to postpaid (bill pay) plan? How about from one network to another?

Does any operator offer mobile internet as part of prepaid next to minutes and sms?

Tesco probably, shop around

Yes it is

What else should I know?

make sure you wear at least two condoms if you pick anyone up in coppers

Thanks a million in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Use daft.ie to look for accommodation. Be aware there's an acute shortage of rental properties in the city at the moment, I found apartment hunting to be an extremely unpleasant experience. DO NOT commit to anything or send anyone money without meeting them and viewing the apartment, under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Library is free to use. You can borrow books, DVDs & CDs. eBooks & Audio Books available online too.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-recreation-culture/dublin-city-public-libraries-and-archive

Many libraries facilitate Irish Conversation groups as well as language classes. They also offer Online classes - there is probably one available for Irish.

Lost of activities and events are offered free of charge in public libraries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Have you done any research, whatsoever, yourself?

I honestly don't mean that in an unfriendly way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Birneybau wrote: »
    Have you done any research, whatsoever, yourself?

I honestly don't mean that in an unfriendly way.

I think they have, they are asking the right questions.

OP renting is the hard part, everything else on your list will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 futuredubliner

@MarkAnthony great answer, thank you so much
    (had a bit of problem understanding what is "coppers", but google told me it's some "dirty club" :D)

yeah, maybe strikes are rare, but luas was at strike on 18th and 19th of february :S
    Bikes are grand - dublin drivers on the other hand.
    Forgot to ask, does Dublin have bike lanes?
    a good green grocer and butcher will be even better value once you know the area
    I guess that Dublin has "farmer markets", am I wrong? Are there any in suburbs you suggested for renting a place?
    Tesco probably, shop around

Yeah, everything in my research indicated that tesco mobile had best prepaid plan

@Interested observer, yeah, I noticed it's pain in the butt to find a accommodation :S, even hostel rooms are hard to find

@BabysCoffee, great news :]

@Birneybau, as mhge noticed, I have researched, but I want to be sure that I have understood everything correctly, and to find out answers to questions I am not sure or couldn't find

as you all said that renting is pain in the ass, are there any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

No, no chance.

Only major one I can think of is if you see apartments for Foley St/Steelworks/Railway St. They look amazing, but the area is really bad. I think new arrivals like yourself sometimes end up there and regret it.

Just use the To Rent section on daft.ie, there shouldn't be any sharing properties in that category

No, if you want an apartment for yourself. Yes, if you just want a room in a shared apartment.

No.

Trinity's classes are all on weekdays. It is possible to work and study, you have to work evenings and weekends. It's what I did in college. You should treat classes as mandatory.
    As I mention public transportation, I have "heard" (read) that I must get leap card. One thing I'm not quite sure about leap is, does it matter if I go 1 bus station or do I ride from first to last bus stop, regarding the price of the ride?

Yes, it costs more the further you are going. But you should get a monthly/annual ticket, which would be a flat cost.
    Also on leap site I noticed that I have to give 5 eur as deposit, and that is refundable, but how do I refund it, by "closing" my leap account?

Yes, you mail them, they send you a cheque for the money, I think.

Might be four or five strike days a year. I think this is the first time the Luas has been on strike. You can work around them most of the time.

People generally say Luas. There is no real connectivity between modes, so that's not a criteria.

I have no experience with them.

Scattered.

No idea.

I don't go to the cinema, but I hear cineworld is good. Odeon in Blanchardstown is good too, but it's in a suburb so you can't get to it easily.

No idea.

Lidl and Aldi are best for price. I live alone and I can get most of a week's shopping done for ~€25 in Lidl, then another ~€10 for topups in convenience stores.

All food places are very expensive, generally.

Three are probably best. It is possible to transfer from plan to plan and network to network, yes.

Think they all do.
    Why would you want to? And generally, no, nothing is free in Dublin.
    as you all said that renting is pain in the ass, are there any tips?

Have lots of money. Have money for a deposit and first month's rent upfront.

I'm not clear on your situation. Sounds like you want to study at Trinity? Well, if you can afford the thousands of euros to apply there as a foreign student, you should be able to get accommodation from them in Trinity Hall, a student residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Do you have a job lined up? The location of that will have a major impact on where you should look for accommodation.

Libraries are great here, only issue you might have is getting the utilities/bills in your name (with local address) to allow you to register for them.

Just use the To Rent section on daft.ie, there shouldn't be any sharing properties in that category
    yeah, but i did that, and i got some results with shared rooms...
    But you should get a monthly/annual ticket, which would be a flat cost.
    as far as i know, i cannot use monthly ticket from one operator to ride with other (for example, i get dublin bus monthly, and i wanna ride dart, i have to pay extra for dart ticket, right?)
    Why would you want to? And generally, no, nothing is free in Dublin.
    i like learning new languages, and gaelic sounds nice to learn :]
    I'm not clear on your situation. Sounds like you want to study at Trinity? Well, if you can afford the thousands of euros to apply there as a foreign student, you should be able to get accommodation from them in Trinity Hall, a student residence.

i want to move to live and work in IE, i haven't found job yet, and my plan is to look until i get to IE, and if i don't find it, continue looking in IE (mainly in Dublin)

as for studding, that is some far-fatched plan, after i get job, and accommodation, to enrol in some class to learn, and get new diploma, but, because of the cost, i wouldn't dream about it without a job (good job)
    only issue you might have is getting the utilities/bills in your name (with local address) to allow you to register for them.
    since i don't plan on buying a house soon, how do i get that?

how much money do i have to plan to spend on utility bills per month?

as far as i know, i cannot use monthly ticket from one operator to ride with other (for example, i get dublin bus monthly, and i wanna ride dart, i have to pay extra for dart ticket, right?)

Yes, you are right, in general. There are combined tickets you can get though, as far as I know. There is also a daily cap, which I think covers most multi-mode journeys. It's complicated(https://about.leapcard.ie/fare-capping), I don't really understand. When I took the bus, I got a annual Taxsaver bus ticket(http://www.taxsaver.ie/Ticket-Types/Annual-Tickets/Annual-Travelwide-Bus-Only/).
    i like learning new languages, and gaelic sounds nice to learn :]

Fair enough, but don't be under the impression that it will be useful to you in communicating with people, it is not widely spoken at all, and especially so in Dublin.
    as for studding, that is some far-fatched plan, after i get job, and accommodation, to enrol in some class to learn, and get new diploma, but, because of the cost, i wouldn't dream about it without a job (good job)

Ah, ok, just a night course sort of thing. That's feasible. I plan on taking such a course myself(in a foreign language) next year.

My general comment to you then would be to think about what you are qualified for to work as. The cost of living is high in Dublin, so personally I won't move here if I didn't have a degree or some sort of professional experience. It's no fun trying to get jobs in shops/waiting tables, that kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

MrMorooka wrote: »
    And generally, no, nothing is free in Dublin.

Well our museums are for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Just to be sure, if you're coming from outside of the EU, you do have a visa to live and work in Ireland, yeah? Don't mean to patronise, but I've met a few people here who didn't realise they needed a visa and weren't eligible for one.

@budgese, eu ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Well our museums are for a start.

Except the wax one.

Do you have a job lined up? The location of that will have a major impact on where you should look for accommodation.

Libraries are great here, only issue you might have is getting the utilities/bills in your name (with local address) to allow you to register for them.

Can be an official letter from government or letter from a bank with address on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭podge018

talk about doing your homework!! :D How do you get the fiver Leap card deposit back, ha ha.

podge018 wrote: »
    talk about doing your homework!! :D How do you get the fiver Leap card deposit back, ha ha.

I just made the assumption he was moving from Cavan.

one thing i forgot to ask, that came to my mind
    where can i print files out of pdf, and at what price (colour/black&white)

one thing i forgot to ask, that came to my mind
    where can i print files out of pdf, and at what price (colour/black&white)

Reads in the City Centre or your local library.

• Advertisement

and how much would it cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Check their website. People aren't going to be able to rattle off the price of services off the top of their head to be fair.

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-recreation-culture-dublin-city-public-libraries-and-archive-news-items/surfbox

60c colour
    20c b&w

With Surfbox you can email the docs from home then pick up in the library

Check their website. People aren't going to be able to rattle off the price of services off the top of their head to be fair.

well i'm looking at reads (reads.ie) and i don't see plain a4 printing option, lots of fancy stuff, but not a4 NON poster printing, closest one is student essay
    60c colour
    20c b&w
    that is quite expensive, especially for black and white :S

thank you, none the less

that is quite expensive, especially for black and white :S

Like I've been intimating, you should expect that, it is an expensive city, all the little things like this add up. I would say again, ideally you should only be moving if you have a job lined up.

Advertisement