Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting a Stove

Options
  • 21-02-2016 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Currently have a gas fireplace installed, want to do a complete rip out and replace that with a flush normal insert wood burning stove (Stovax studio 1)

I havent a clue where to even start! Who would be best to get something like this fitted? Who should I be contacting? Obviously someone to turn the gas off and disconnect and a plasterer to fill the wall etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Start with dimensions of existing opening and talking to sales rep. if installing it don't make my mistake and get rushed by the installer. The insulation , fire board, it's backing and plastering should be given due care and attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

Make sure your installer is knowledgeable on flues, and follows Part J.

Check with him re:
    Will the flue liner flex to go around bends? Some manufacturers spec max 30deg bend, and only one.
    If the chimney is sealed top and bottom is there a risk of condensation in the gap? Does the space need to be vented? Or filled (eg with vermiculite).
    If the flue is metal is it guaranteed against corrosion?
    If the flue is in sections, how are they fitted together? Are they sealed against leaks?
    Has the system passed leakage tests? Get a copy.
    If liner is double-skin how is is the top sealed so rain cannot penetrate?
    How will you get access to sweep the flue?
    Is a sump required for debris collection?
    Will the stove be removable w/o disturbing the liner/flue?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Thanks lads! what trades man would fit something like this if I bought the fire on its own?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭padjo5

Hetas (stove installer accreditation crowd) have a website listing all accredited installers, you should contact a few and get their advice/quotes. Maybe seek out someone locally who got similar done and get referral....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Yup- any plumber would probably have a go at it, but I personally would get a stove installer!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Go with guys recommended by the shop where you buy it, BUT you need your own builder/plasterer and the installer needs to visit days before actual install, when the builder/ plaster has the existing fore place ripped out.

Stove 12/1500
    Flue kit 4/600(single or two storey etc)
    Supalux board 1/150 (x2?)allowing for 2nd layer of backing board above stove)
    Plaster mix
    Base detail: stone? 300mm out in front
    Installer 4/600
    Builder/plasterer maybe the same

Now before everyone jumps on the figures, if you want a flush carefully detailed stove fitted, this is not far of what it'll cost

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

BryanF wrote: »
    Go with guys recommended by the shop where you buy it, BUT you need your own builder/plasterer and the installer needs to visit days before actual install, when the builder/ plaster has the existing fore place ripped out.

Stove 12/1500
    Flue kit 4/600(single or two storey etc)
    Supalux board 1/150 (x2?)allowing for 2nd layer of backing board above stove)
    Plaster mix
    Base detail: stone? 300mm out in front
    Installer 4/600
    Builder/plasterer maybe the same

Now before everyone jumps on the figures, if you want a flush carefully detailed stove fitted, this is not far of what it'll cost

The installer I got got his own plasterer to come, and they took out and disposed of the old fire place. Might be someone local to the op who provides a similar service.

Advertisement