Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sporadic WhatsApp notification delays

• 22-02-2016 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing this problem? When I receive a WhatsApp message, sometimes it will take up to 15 mins for me to get the notification (as in, when I get the notification and read the message, it'll have a send time of 15 mins previously). This is the worst I've seen, but the delays regularly range from 5 to 10 minutes, and other times there's no delays at all???

I never had this issue on 8.1, pretty sure it's only since I installed win 10. I'm running .107 at the moment on a 640xl.

Anyone experienced or heard of this, and by any chance know of a possible solution?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Buttros

It was happening to me over the weekend. In a group chat so messages coming in regularly and wasn't getting notifications at all. Had to go into the app to see if I had messages. No issue today though. Don't think I did anything to change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I don't use it enough to notice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Its been happening me on 8.1 too. I'm also using a 640xl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭deadduck

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I got an email from WhatsApp support after reporting the issue to them, but they just got back to me to say it's most likely an issue on MS's end, and to have a look at the FAQ about notifications failing on Windows Phone. But I've already tried what's there, and I'm still having the problem, for the last couple of weeks at least. Its such a pain, if myself and the wife are in the same group conversation, her galaxy will let her know as soon as a new message comes in, but by the time I get a notification, there could be multiple new messages been added to the conversation.

(Also, just found a separate bug while putting this message together. I can't copy and paste from Outlook on my phone into this text box. Another quirk of Edge I guess!)

thing is it only happens with Whatsapp, which would suggest its not a MS thing..

I could be wrong though

• Advertisement

Well, i'm going to reply to them with a link to this thread as at least anecdotal evidence that there's something up with notifications, so if anyone else if seeing any similar issues, post it here and maybe they'll see it.

did you have any luck?

no, they didn't get back to me since

but, i did find written on another forum that Whatsapp has to be set to be allowed run when Battery Saver kicks in, even when the phone isn't in Battery Saver mode

i had this done in the past (to allow Whatsapp to run properly when the phone actually does go to Battery Saver), but i guess one of the build upgrades reset it on me. i've set it to allowed again, so i'll see how it goes over the next few while

I saw that too, there are several forum threads over on windows central about it. It happened several times again to me yesterday so I did the battery saver thing.

Its now happening with Skype too.

Kamili wrote: »
    I saw that too, there are several forum threads over on windows central about it. It happened several times again to me yesterday so I did the battery saver thing.

Its now happening with Skype too.

The battery saver fix hasn't worked for me, still getting some notifications over 10 minutes after the message was sent. I don't use Skype much, but given what you're saying, seems it is an issue with the way WP (10 and 8.1) deals with notifications. Hopefully MS are taking note of the feedback

• Advertisement

I've had further notification issues with another app called TrueCaller, contacted them and they say its an issue only on the 640 and they have no way of fixing it. Its widely reported apparently for this model. So there's something up with the phone model.

Kamili wrote: »
    I've had further notification issues with another app called TrueCaller, contacted them and they say its an issue only on the 640 and they have no way of fixing it. Its widely reported apparently for this model. So there's something up with the phone model.

Have you got the email from them confirming that? If so, it'd be worth tipping windows central or allaboutwindowsphone.com to see if they'll raise it. Sounds a bit nuts that only 2 types of phone would be affected by this bug (640 and 640xl), but an app developer knows far better than me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'm finding WP10 a lot better the 8.1, but its still feels quite buggy. Some stuff doesn't work.

turns out this is a long running problem:

https://wpdev.uservoice.com/forums/110705-dev-platform/suggestions/7263372-fix-push-notifications-issue

disappointing that it's still an issue, given how core a function it is to all IM services

Advertisement