Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security deposit question

Options
  • 22-02-2016 10:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭

Hi team.

I and all my housemates are moving out at the end of this month (landlord selling). I'm fairly certain one or two of them will be there for 2 weeks or so after this and I'm fairly certain they're not gonna take control of the bills so I'm just gonna cut them off. Don't care if they have no power haha not my problem.

Here's the thing.
    The gas and electricity bill are in an old housemate's name, but with my bank details.

When the old housemate left the country and I was taking responsibility for gas and electricity, I tried to close his accounts and start up a new one. But someone at Electric Ireland told me he'd be charged 300 for closing the account. Load of shite tbh. The only way to avoid this was to put my bank details on the gas/elec accounts under his name. Which is what happened.

My questions are:
    1: When I cancel the two accounts in a few days, will I be charged the security deposit like before?

2: Do I need a gas AND electricity reading when cancelling the accounts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Johnny Carson,

Thank you for getting in touch.

We regret any confusion. The €300 security deposit is only applied to an Electric Ireland account when it is opened (and when the customer is new) rather than closed. The security deposit is removed after 14 months of cleared bills, or before this if the account has to be closed. And the security deposit is eliminated all together if the customer sets up direct debit or has a PAYG meter installed.

Yes, a meter-reading for electricity and for gas each would be required for the final electricity and gas bills, because these generate from two separate systems (a gas meter-reading is submitted to Gas Networks Ireland before the bill is generated to Electric Ireland).

We would recommend having the landlord/lady or letting company contact Electric Ireland to close these accounts, as an advisor here would only be able to carry out this process with permission from them or the named account-holder.

Do telephone our Customer Service on 1850 372 372 to cancel your bank account details though (and advise your bank).

Regards,
    Una

________

Advertisement