Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Use of Led bulbs with a dimmer switch

Options
  • 22-02-2016 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭

I bought 3 replacement golf ball Phillips Led bulbs yesterday - €9 a pop - but it was only after I fitted them that I realised they were unsuitable for dimming. Will they last any length of time or should I replace them - I don't want to blow €27 worth of bulbs prematurely! Only thing is I currently have no alternative light fitting for them. Thanks

Comments

They'll be fine if you keep the dimmer at full they're internally regulated. You could also change the dimmer to a switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭creedp

They'll be fine if you keep the dimmer at full they're internally regulated. You could also change the dimmer to a switch.

Thanks for that. I'll just leave the dimmer switch on full for the time being. I have a switch & dimmer in another room (one at each door) which has dimmer compatible bulbs so I could switch the dimmer with the switch in that room to protect the bubs long term. Still find if hard to get used to bulbs being so expensive - goes well with the old tag line .. the more you spend the more you save .. or do you as I've a fair number of led downlighters in the house and I find I'm replacing them a lot more regularly than I would have expected!

I'm not sure you can have two dimmers on the same circuit. Well you can but I don't know if it's very healthy for the electronics.

Well you certainly use less energy.
    Lots of Leds come with warranties some brands are more reliable than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I'm not sure you can have two dimmers on the same circuit. Well you can but I don't know if it's very healthy for the electronics.

Being on the same circuit shouldnt make any difference. Even when on 2 different circuits, they are still on the same line, just with 2 mcbs separating them, which may as well be a copper bar when the mcbs are on.

Some types of bulbs when mixed, may be affected when on the same switch, as they are de-energised and isolated from the supply at the same instant, but not from each other at that instant.

So sometimes I think the same circuit gets confused with the same switch in these considerations.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Even when on 2 different circuits, they are still on the same line, just with 2 mcbs separating them, which may as well be a copper bar when the mcbs are on.

:pac: Gosh Bruthal, where does it end (/start)? ⅓ of my neighbours are on the same line too. :p

The instructions on my dimmers say replace only one switch with a dimmer in a two way switched circuit as using two will cause flicker.
    Some kind of hysteresis perhaps.

• Advertisement

:pac: Gosh Bruthal, where does it end (/start)? ⅓ of my neighbours are on the same line too. :p
    Which must mean having dimmers on the same circuit is ok. Perhaps not on the same switched section of a circuit though.
    The instructions on my dimmers say replace only one switch with a dimmer in a two way switched circuit as using two will cause flicker.
    I was simply suggestion that confusion has been caused by what might be seen as a lighting circuit. I don't mean in this thread, just in general.

10 lights per circuit.
    Only one dimmer per circuit.
    Don't mix different bulbs on the same circuit,

...are some examples. "Circuit" seems to have different meanings there.
    Some kind of hysteresis perhaps
    2 dimmers in series chopping the AC wave one after another at different levels would be causing problems.

Anyway, my overall point was an observation of how circuits are described as different things at times, which might cause confusion in certain circumstances. Nothing more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They mean don't have two dimmers for one bulb competing with each other

TheChizler wrote: »
    They mean don't have two dimmers for one bulb competing with each other

I think we know that. My point is just a general one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I think we know that. My point is just a general one.
    Sorry, was still asleep

TheChizler wrote: »
    Sorry, was still asleep

I'm fully awake but seem a bit asleep myself too lately.

• Advertisement

I suppose sub-circuit would be the correct term.
    Sometimes it's more confusing using correct terminology.. Try asking for a box of AA cells in the local convenience store and see what happens.

I suppose sub-circuit would be the correct term.
    Sometimes it's more confusing using correct terminology.. Try asking for a box of AA cells in the local convenience store and see what happens.

Yes I'd sometimes say a 2 way circuit myself. I'm not too pushed about terminology or pedantics etc. Just that when asked if it's OK to put 2 of this or that type of lamp on the same circuit, it can be unclear at times what's being asked. Or answered. More in general than in this thread i mean. Or maybe I'm easily confused with getting on a bit now...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭creedp

Yes I'd sometimes say a 2 way circuit myself. I'm not too pushed about terminology or pedantics etc. Just that when asked if it's OK to put 2 of this or that type of lamp on the same circuit, it can be unclear at times what's being asked. Or answered. More in general than in this thread i mean. Or maybe I'm easily confused with getting on a bit now...

Now I know why electrics always confuse me so I'm not 'shocked' by the confusion here:D. Thanks for advise on the use of one dimmer per 2-way or sub-circuit.

Advertisement