Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you at work right now?

• 22-02-2016 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭

If so, how are you getting away with being on Boards?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

I work in IT :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

i work on ongoing projects, not by the hour. There's no-one hounding me... unless i mess up a deadline.

Polo_Mint wrote: »

Ditto :)

And I'm actually up to my tonsils but I've stuff running away on another PC and another screen so here I am!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

No, finished work 2 hours ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I often have to leave a solution stirring or centrifuging for an hour to 90 minutes at a time so now Im doing "paperwork", wouldnt be able to stand working in a job where I couldn't get my internet fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Day off, I'm at home chilling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Maybe. Corner desk is the most powerful desk of all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Just don't give a damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nope. Long retired. My time is my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm self-employed, so I add a couple of hours into someone's bill to make up for time spent here.

*just kidding!*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I am, but for the last couple of months I've spent an inordinate proportion of my day waiting for other people/computers to do stuff.

It drives me slightly batty, so t'internet keeps me relatively sane. Thanks Boards :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

I am working from home today.
    But the funny thing is , like, I really am working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

I work on IT projects against deliverables and am in an office on my own. Everyone else works from home. I have a presentation tomorrow so preparing some slides for that, but Mondays are easy going.

Generally I come onto boards for a bit of company:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If so, how are you getting away with being on Boards?

I've got a sweet job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I create a build with plenty of automated tests, gives me plenty of time to browse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

This. . .but I'm actually on my lunch. No time for boards procrastination these days, sooooo bloody busy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Yep, fcuking bored off my hole though.
    Finished everything 2 hours ago.. think the fire alarm going off not long ago was probably the most interesting part of the day so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

In work right now, students doing busy work while I look at boards for a few mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'm self-employed, working in IT, and right now I'm delivering a training course, so they're all working on projects while I'm looking at my phone covered by the training manual... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

In IT and have special privileges on the firewall. Boards would be blocked for most of my colleagues.

Boards is usually open in the background and I dip in when waiting for a build to complete or responses from other people.

On lunch at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Does everyone work in IT on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm in work. There are usually two of us doing this job but the other person is out for 6 weeks after an operation, so I'm fairly busy. Still manage to drop in here, though. My manager isn't helping at all (he usually would) but because he's not helping, he's also not around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Doing all my legal reading in the DCU library and then work til 10pm tonight and all day tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Lights On wrote: »
    I don't, although sometimes I'm the unofficial IT department. I don't ask people to 'raise a ticket' before helping. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

I don't. I used to, but then I decided I didn't like money and took a career change.

I miss money :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Same :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭anvilfour

I work in IT and am allowed to look at any computer related websites between calls. Boards has an excellent section on computing although as you can see I sometimes wander off the reservation!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

I'm working. Well having my after-lunch coffee :) Never worked in a place that blocked sites or were pricks about random browsing. As long as you're not taking the pi$$ and you get your stuff done, who cares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Add another IT person to the list...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I write code and stuff and find that it sometimes helps to let Boards switch off the conscious part of my mind while the unconscious part unties a knot for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Bit sad to see so many IT people here. No wonder AH went to sh*t.

Mint Aero wrote: »

No one is forcing you to be here :)

Yeah in work, we aren't children nobody is looking over your shoulder to see what you are doing at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Yeah in work, we aren't children nobody is looking over your shoulder to see what you are doing at all times.
    GET BACK TO WORK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

I have my own office and a glass panel on the door so that I can see anyone who is likely to come in - gives me time to switch over to spreadsheets accordingly...

I work in IT, I don't define myself as an "IT Person" - I love history, politics and debating, all things which you can find in After Hours. Most of my life I've spent working outside the Technology Sector - if you work in McDonalds would that make you a "Hamburger person" out of interest? :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭TrueIt

anvilfour wrote: »
    I work in IT, I don't define myself as an "IT Person" - I love history, politics and debating, all things which you can find in After Hours. Most of my life I've spent working outside the Technology Sector - if you work in McDonalds would that make you a "Hamburger person" out of interest? :-D

More of a chicken nugget

TrueIt wrote: »
    More of a chicken nugget

Perhaps a Pickled Gherkin? :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,825 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

I'm sitting on Boards.ie along with adverts.ie whilst playing a couple of games of online poker.

So yes, I'm at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Does not compute :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I am writing this on the teletype-device connected to a lesser-known derivative of Brunel's Atmospheric Caper. No-one comes near me for fear of the puffing and pedalling, never mind the occasional jet of face-peeling superheated steam. Vorsprung durch Technik. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

At work and trying to resist opening the Dick pics thread.

anvilfour wrote: »
    I work in IT, I don't define myself as an "IT Person"...

"IT Person" be damned. My full title is "Principal Engineer, Quantum Mechanic, Server-Whisperer, Code-Monkey and Shitheapist 7th Dan".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Funny as well that IT people are like I work in IT blah blah and I have a iPhone blah blah. Probably loads of people here with cool jobs who are too cool to say what they do unlike IT people.

Funny as well that IT people are like I work in IT blah blah and I have a iPhone blah blah...

Even funnier that no-one mentioned "iPhone" in this thread except you. Don't fret, if you want one Santy'll bring it. You just have to wait a few months! :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Funny as well that IT people are like I work in IT blah blah...

You'd probably say that I work in IT but I'd never describe myself as such. It's meaningless really. Like lumping second hand car dealers in with car designers, engineers, mechanics, take-away delivery drivers and everything in between as "car people".

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭JackHeuston

I work in IT. My boss's next to me and sometimes he glances at my screen but Boards has a somewhat common layout that doesn't make you think it's Facebook, 9gag or any other time wasting website.

If someone actually comes to my desk this is pretty much what happens
    http://i.imgur.com/F4awXgz.jpg

I'm not feeling bad because, without my 2mins of Boards every once in a while, at the 100th time in a day a coworker comes to me asking how to make something work after they have tried nothing and they are all out of ideas, I could go on a rampage.

Funny as well that IT people are like I work in IT blah blah and I have a iPhone blah blah. Probably loads of people here with cool jobs who are too cool to say what they do unlike IT people.

Keep going...

• Advertisement
Advertisement