Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Irish Mobile Network ?

Options
  • 22-02-2016 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Currently with 48 , choosing to leave because of bad signal and woeful internet speeds , what currently in your opinion is the best network , id mainly be looking for one with the most data allowances :)

Best Mobile Network 113 votes

Vodafone
    0% 1 vote
    Meteor
    32% 37 votes
    Three
    26% 30 votes
    Tesco Mobile
    23% 26 votes
    13% 15 votes
    Other
    3% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cb1959

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Currently with 48 , choosing to leave because of bad signal and woeful internet speeds , what currently in your opinion is the best network , id mainly be looking for one with the most data allowances :)

Don't go to Three or any of the other providers like 48 who use their network. You will have the same problems with the network or even worse. It is well documented here on Boards that Three have shut down hundreds of base stations since buying over O2, and since they switched off the Vodafone roaming agreement that was propping up their shoddy coverage.

You need to move to Meteor/Eir or Vodafone. Myself and all the family have moved to Meteor & Eir and we haven't looked back - far superior network, HD Voice calls, Tethering allowed and far better roaming deals. Meteor have excellent Pre-pay deals, and Eir have good deals if you want to bundle with eir-Fibre Broadband & TV.

What's the point in Three having so called AYCE data when their network doesn't work most of the time, and they don't allow tethering?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

48 operate on the legacy O2 network, Three, VM and iD have access to the new network infrastructure, they may be better (but subscriber numbers are high).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

100% , I just avoided three or any of it's MVNO's when I was shopping around. Got a good deal with eir. Can't complain about coverage or speed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Going to check out eir never heard of them before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Going to check out eir never heard of them before :)

Its the other name for meteor, exact same staffing and infrastructure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Be aware though that while eir(com) may have the better network, their billing operations are shockingly poor - so if you run into any issues, be prepared for a lot of frustration in resolving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭paddyjoe183

I moved to vodafone, they seem to have the best signal all over the Country, they are pricey but the best phones are normally at a good price if not free when its time to upgrade, only fault I have with them is their customer care team, all from other Countries and are horrible to deal with..... seems to be the same with a lot of call centres these days..... virgin media being the worst.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Three are grand once you are in an urban area. One of the best pay as you go deals on the market.

In a rural area, coverage is only good on the Vodafone network. I think eMobile or now eir used to piggyback off the Vodafone network and Postfone definitely do.

Obviously you can go Vodafone but they are far and away the most expensive on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭amdaley28

On Vodafone down here in the south west.
    Excellent coverage.
    Never have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Rabo Karabekian

I'm with Three but am seriously considering my options. The 'talk to ...' thread here on Boards is eye-opening. I have been kind of just accepting their shoddy coverage (it always was a little bit off, but there have been some serious downtimes over the last while) and they seem to take every opportunity to get as much money from you as possible (and yeah, I understand that they're a business and that this is going to be their basic operating model, but a little bit of far-sightedness goes a long way).

The only thing that's been keeping me there is their 20 euro PAYG offer. I'm just wondering, if I signed up to something similar with Vodafone, is their data allowance something that you might expect to last the month? I tend to just use my phone (outside of my house) for checking whatsapp, other social media, and occasionally Spotify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

I'm with Three but am seriously considering my options. The 'talk to ...' thread here on Boards is eye-opening. I have been kind of just accepting their shoddy coverage (it always was a little bit off, but there have been some serious downtimes over the last while) and they seem to take every opportunity to get as much money from you as possible (and yeah, I understand that they're a business and that this is going to be their basic operating model, but a little bit of far-sightedness goes a long way).

The only thing that's been keeping me there is their 20 euro PAYG offer. I'm just wondering, if I signed up to something similar with Vodafone, is their data allowance something that you might expect to last the month? I tend to just use my phone (outside of my house) for checking whatsapp, other social media, and occasionally Spotify.

You should consider the €20 PAYG offer from Meteor. Unlimited any-network voice calls, 15GB data(dropping to 7.5G after 6 months) and 400 free texts per month using the MyMeteor app. With the level of data usage you describe, this should be more than generous. Far superior network to Three with good 4G coverage and HD Voice. Not as expensive as Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Well I am with Eir for just over a year, eircom before that and I can tell you it's not the same as meteor. Might be same company but I have had nothing but issues...finally free from my contract after small claims court upheld my concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Nexarz

I've been with meteor, three and o2 back in the day but I always end up back on Vodafone. Coverage is much better. Worth the extra quid for less frustration finding coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nexarz wrote: »
    I've been with meteor, three and o2 back in the day but I always end up back on Vodafone. Coverage is much better. Worth the extra quid for less frustration finding coverage.

I had massive problems with VF before/over Christmas when I tried to port out and had to wait till one of their "you owe us money" letters arrived before I finally got the switchboard number and got through to their Collections team. Their offshore support (Egypt) is shocking and their packages are significantly overpriced... NEVER again!

Three has coverage problems but work out cheapest/best value for me (business sim-only package) and at least they have a dedicated business team based in Ireland that you can deal with

Eircom/Meteor as I said previously have shockingly poor billing/back-office systems. Although you can usually steer the agents into doing what you want them to, whether their systems will comply is another matter.

Really we have no "best" network in this country.. it's more a case of who is the least worst. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Guys, for coverage/reliability, Meteor or Vodafone? :cool: Currently with iD and the coverage is brutal once you're out of urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Vodafone for coverage 100% Meteor are close but in rural areas and outside towns you could be looking at E signal at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Whatever you do, avoid TescoMobile:
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057590673

jay93 wrote: »
    Vodafone for coverage 100% Meteor are close but in rural areas and outside towns you could be looking at E signal at best.

I have to disagree re E - very seldom get that these days on Meteor even in rural areas. It is true that 4G isn't everywhere yet, but I generally get solid 3G/H/H+ outside of the 4G areas. A couple of years ago when they relied on Vodafone roaming in parts of the West , they used to drop back to E in the roaming areas , but since they built out their own network and ditched Vodafone it seems fine. The roaming didn't include 3G even if Vodafone had it in the area. All the new rollout in recent years seems to be 3G/4G.

Whatever you do, avoid TescoMobile:
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057590673

Absolutely shocking. I never heard of any Irish operator looking for passports for PAYG even when you sign up. Maybe it is some procededure Tesco have adopted from their "Mainland" UK operation assuming that they have to do it here also? No excuse for it though.

In any case they should be avoided because they are running on the old O2 network which is being shut down by 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Go on meteor!

• Advertisement

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Go on meteor!

is that 15gb data going to revert back to 7.5 after a while?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

is that 15gb data going to revert back to 7.5 after a while?

I would think so.if you get a sim card from a network how long before it has to be activated?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

^^ straight away

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭ahmsalo

i was on 3 and always 4g got stacked not even change to 3g by itself
    so i went with tesco better 3g instead of always stacked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Stacked?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Was Meteor for years, then 3, then switched back to Meteor for a short while as 3's coverage was just too frustrating for me, I went onto Meteors 15gb double data offer with unlimited calls, (no texts) for 20 a month, this was grand, until Vodafone offered same deal but including unlimited texts, so switched to them. (not that I text often with Whatsapp etc, but it's still handy having the ability to send a text if needs be)

All my network loyalty went out the window! Customer service aside, I can say Vodafone's coverage has been solid, and I can't complain with the deal, its a student only thing €20 a month for the lot, unfortunately, I don't think they've many other decent offers going aside from the student deal(which lasts for 4 years!)., otherwise I would have stuck with Meteor.

3 sounds great but the coverage really was brutal!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 56 ✭✭ahmsalo

beauf wrote: »
    Stacked?

sorry i meant stuck

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭callmepetardu

I've been with iD since the end of December and I have to say, I haven't had any real issues.

Because they're a new network, it took a while for them to sort roaming out but it's resolved now thankfully.

On bill pay and it worked out by far the cheapest out of all the Irish networks. 20gb data, 150 minutes and 250 texts for €44 a month.

I've been with iD since the end of December and I have to say, I haven't had any real issues.

Because they're a new network, it took a while for them to sort roaming out but it's resolved now thankfully.

On bill pay and it worked out by far the cheapest out of all the Irish networks. 20gb data, 150 minutes and 250 texts for €44 a month.

€44 a month?! You're overpaying mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

3 has the best coverage in the area where I live,Meteor the worst.It's amazing with all the so called "advances" in technology,mobile phone and good mobile broadband is still crap in many parts of the country:mad::o

Advertisement