Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym in Athlone

Options
  • 22-02-2016 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi, I've recently moved to Athlone and am looking into joining a gym. I'm living in the centre of the town.

I'd be almost exclusively doing compound lifts so literally the only equipment I'd want is a deadlift platform, squat rack and bench. Classes and machine weights etc don't interest me at all.

I'd also like somewhere that has free parking outside it as I will be generally going on my way to or from work.

Any advice? I've done some quick googling but hard to tell what these gyms are like from their websites.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

bkqwerty wrote: »
    Hi, I've recently moved to Athlone and am looking into joining a gym. I'm living in the centre of the town.

I'd be almost exclusively doing compound lifts so literally the only equipment I'd want is a deadlift platform, squat rack and bench. Classes and machine weights etc don't interest me at all.

I'd also like somewhere that has free parking outside it as I will be generally going on my way to or from work.

Any advice? I've done some quick googling but hard to tell what these gyms are like from their websites.

Thanks

Regional sports centre is the best equipped, no idea how busy those sections are at what times though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

bkqwerty wrote: »

Thanks
    Look up crossfit athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Best Gym in town is out in ait
    check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

The gym you want it the regional sports centre. Thats where the strong guys go to lift. 3 racks with platforms usually all taken if you go late but people arent dicks and will let you work in. If you go early there will usually be one open.

You likely wont see this at the crossfit gym

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNucizRdg3s

The gym you want it the regional sports centre. Thats where the strong guys go to lift. 3 racks with platforms usually all taken if you go late but people arent dicks and will let you work in. If you go early there will usually be one open.

You likely wont see this at the crossfit gym

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNucizRdg3s

how many snatches can he do?
    clean and jerks?
    pull ups?
    deadlifts?
    box jumps?

I'd go to a crossfit gym anytime over a conventional gym. usually decent coaching and programming.
    no mirrors.

• Advertisement

The guy does power lifting so I havent seen him to snatches and clean and jerks. Pull ups are no problem and his deadlift is one of the strongest in the gym with him and a few guys doing looooooong deadlift sessions at times. Look you want to do olympic lifts go for it. You can do them at a gym with mirrors too. The staff there are extremely knowledgable and can make good programs as well.

Speaking of good programs got a specific program example from the crossfit gyms you pimp out?

The guy does power lifting so I havent seen him to snatches and clean and jerks. Pull ups are no problem and his deadlift is one of the strongest in the gym with him and a few guys doing looooooong deadlift sessions at times. Look you want to do olympic lifts go for it. You can do them at a gym with mirrors too. The staff there are extremely knowledgable and can make good programs as well.

Speaking of good programs got a specific program example from the crossfit gyms you pimp out?

that's the whole point
    the crossfit programming is done in the gym. not written up online
    it is scaled based on what people are able to do

A cross fit gym should have 10+ platforms for strength exercises.
    I am not a member of a crossfit gym in athlone and I'm not pimping anyone.

the OP wanted to know where he could go to do compound lifts.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    that's the whole point
    the crossfit programming is done in the gym. not written up online
    it is scaled based on what people are able to do

A cross fit gym should have 10+ platforms for strength exercises.
    I am not a member of a crossfit gym in athlone and I'm not pimping anyone.

the OP wanted to know where he could go to do compound lifts.

The problem with a cross fit gym is that classes take up space for almost all of their opening hours and non-class opening times are very limited so you end up being in a class a few days a week and having to conform to their timetable.

In the regional sports centre you can come and go as you please, have longer opening hours and don't have to work around class timetables.

If all you want to do is use a rack, bench and platform a "normal" gym is a better option.

The problem with a cross fit gym is that classes take up space for almost all of their opening hours and non-class opening times are very limited so you end up being in a class a few days a week and having to conform to their timetable.

In the regional sports centre you can come and go as you please, have longer opening hours and don't have to work around class timetables.

If all you want to do is use a rack, bench and platform a "normal" gym is a better option.

Excellent. To OP dont fall for the lies of Broki and his crossfit legions. Come to the Swoley path of Brodin. Pray within the Iron temple and he will bestow bountiful gains upon thee.

Emeralddragon said that there are only three racks in the IT and they are busy

crossfit have classes, but that is the point you do lifts as part of the classes.
    crossfit often have open gym sessions where you train as you like

• Advertisement

Not IT but RSC as sub says below. Just clarifying. - Yes there are 3 racks so youre part right. I didnt say they were busy all the time but at cerain times they are. Certain times such as PEAK TIMES which well... every gym in existence has.

Crossfit athlone only has open gym times on Sat and Sun for 2 hours each. Each use is €7.50 or you can get 8 visits for €50. Thats insane. Their weightlifting option is retarded too as the weightlifting classes are twice a week for one hour a piece with a best price of €45 for a one month set.

Dont even get me started onCrossFit Cú Chulainn. Ya know what **** it heres their prices. http://crossfitcuchulainn.com/prices/

Crossfit is for people with more money than sense so they can go along and be all buddy buddy with people as they pretend to lift with form designed to snap their spines.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Emeralddragon said that there are only three racks in the IT and they are busy

crossfit have classes, but that is the point you do lifts as part of the classes.
    crossfit often have open gym sessions where you train as you like

RSC not the IT, three racks but there's always been at least one open any time I've been there. I don't tend to go between 5 and 7pm, aka peak hours.

The It might be similar with number of racks, but I've never been in their new facilities.

You pay for the coaching. If you want to go 3/4 times a week then fire ahead.

I'm not defending them btw

If you were getting music lessons, it'd be €20 an hour

He isnt looking for music lessons though. He wants a gym he can rock up to whenever he wants park his car hop in get some lifting done and leave. Best places for that would be RSC or IT (not sure how good it is though I hear good things). Crossfit gyms just arent worth it for him or for most people.

I would disagree

You will make more progress in a crossfit gym due to coaching and programming, rather than winging it

Thats your opinion. AT the end of the day youre trying to pressure the guy into something he specifically said he wasnt interested in.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 bkqwerty

Only two months later but I joined the Regional Sports Centre and find it great. Usually go in the mornings so while it's always busy it's never manic.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Barti

Any idea what the price of the membership is at RSC? Thinking of joining myself.

Advertisement