Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Election count delays - Galway West

Options
  • 22-02-2016 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

I wonder will we win the prize again for the last constituency to complete our count. maybe someone could hire a few extra staff this time or ones that can count reasonably quickly like in other constituencies, even the whingers in mayo finish before us!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Galway West's count finished last due to the high number of recounts, not an in-ability of the counting staff to count quickly. Catherine Connolly (thankfully) lost out by only 17 votes - given it was that close it's hardly surprising there were several recounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It's going to be a slog this year with the number of candidates.

Connolly and Healy-Eames were close at the end - there were a lot of recounts.

There are 21 candidates this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

Surely the recount scenario should be factored in, I'm sure we're not the only ones with a high number of candidates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

crusier wrote: »
    Surely the recount scenario should be factored in, I'm sure we're not the only ones with a high number of candidates

It's not the number of candidates, it was the number of recounts given the whole Healy-Eames/Kyne/Connolly situation. At the end of it all, someone from FG HQ had to more or less order Fidelma to give it up.

Can't see it being an issue this time around, saw her odds have dropped to 20/1, in between Mike Cubbard and Tommy Holohan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Surely the recount scenario should be factored in
    Factored in how? Is there some way of 'factoring in' recounts that would make them instantaneous so that the result would be delivered at the same time as those of constituencies that don't have recounts?
    I'm sure we're not the only ones with a high number of candidates
    Only 11 of the 43 constituencies nationwide are five seaters. Of those most have 14-16 candidates. Only Galway West (20), Dublin Bay North (20) and Dublin South West (21) have more.

As pointed out above the number of recounts rather than the number of candidates is the biggest factor that can prolong a count. But a higher number of candidates can allow for a longer process, if they are separated by enough early on that they have to be eliminated one by one, and if they lead to results that are close enough later in the process that recounts become a factor. Either way Galway West is likely to be at the tail end again in terms of when it delivers a final result.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Getting the first count done is also key.
    The distribution of those being eliminated and later those over the quota should not take long.
    I know 5 seaters have bigger vote numbers to be counted. Is up to the returning officer to have enough staff to carry this out promptly and correctly.

Watch out for the times of the declaration of the first count in five seaters. That is your measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

What's the rush? I love the drama of following it count by count, especially when someone you dislike gets eliminated and can't accept it (FHE a prime example)

Actually do enjoy the odd very delayed result, when due to closeness of numbers. I think it was Joe Higgins V SF comes to mind.
    Its the totally delayed first count is simply poor management. First count hardly done and they go home to bed.

Water John wrote:
    Actually do enjoy the odd very delayed result, when due to closeness of numbers. I think it was Joe Higgins V SF comes to mind. Its the totally delayed first count is simply poor management. First count hardly done and they go home to bed.

I actually enjoy it myself but after a few days it gets boring, there must also be a cost factor, rental of hall, counting staff etc , it also dragged on in the 2007 election if my memory is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

I really don't get this "holding on", "battling for the seat", drama business. The result in the end is going to be the same as it was when the polling booth closed. All you have to do is switch off your TV and radio for a day or so and then turn it back on again to find out what was always going to be the end result.

I do understand that some people love that aspect of it; but I just don't understand it myself.

I suppose it isn't the drama of the count. For me its more the political interaction. Politicians aren't constantly spinning because the votes are cast.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 976 ✭✭✭beach_walker

Eeden wrote: »
    The result in the end is going to be the same as it was when the polling booth closed.

Well not really... Given our complicated voting system and the method of redistributing votes after the first quota is reached, it's entirely possible for there to be different outcomes in who gets elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭saltsun

The only few days in 5 years we get to see politicians suffer a little, I think they should let a few staff go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

saltsun wrote: »
    The only few days in 5 years we get to see politicians

Or this :P

Credit where credit is due, to the count staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Festina Lente - Make haste slowly - is the way to go.

It is a great example of democracy in action.

each paper, and the markings on it, can be inspected by all candidates and their agents. They are counted out, one by one, by people they know and trust

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well not really... Given our complicated voting system and the method of redistributing votes after the first quota is reached, it's entirely possible for there to be different outcomes in who gets elected.

Ahh, this is outrageous, if true.

Can you explain a little more???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

http://www.thejournal.ie/how-does-prstv-work-2619448-Feb2016/

Proper procedures were followed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

That's proportional representation for you. It's actually much more democratic and more sophisticated than a system like First Past the Post that they use in the UK. They're actually considering changing to Proportional Rep too after the last election.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That's proportional representation for you. It's actually much more democratic and more sophisticated than a system like First Past the Post that they use in the UK. They're actually considering changing to Proportional Rep too after the last election.
    Our politicians don't like it though. They tried to take it off us for FPTP, luckily we said No.
    http://irishpoliticalmaps.blogspot.ie/2011/05/referendum-1959-first-past-post.html

Advertisement