Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Virgin Media Multiroom box - now a Cisco DVR

• 22-02-2016 3:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭

I had a Pace HD multiroom box in the bedroom and the Virgin Media technical people decided that it needed to be replaced but without warning they sent me out a big Cisco DVR box which contains a hard drive and which is liable to start up in the middle of the night checking for s/w updates. Despite having it set to low power on standby, I had to get out of bed at 2:30 a.m. this morning to flip the switch on the back to turn it off because of the spinning noise from the HDD.

I asked if they could swap it and give me a 'like for like' replacement but they said the Pace HD box has been 'phased out' so whether you want it or not, your next multiroom box will be a box the size of a DVD player with a spinning HDD inside.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

coylemj wrote: »
    I had a Pace HD multiroom box in the bedroom and the Virgin Media technical people decided that it needed to be replaced but without warning they sent me out a big Cisco DVR box which contains a hard drive and which is liable to start up in the middle of the night checking for s/w updates. Despite having it set to low power on standby, I had to get out of bed at 2:30 a.m. this morning to flip the switch on the back to turn it off because of the spinning noise from the HDD.

I asked if they could swap it and give me a 'like for like' replacement but they said the Pace HD box has been 'phased out' so whether you want it or not, your next multiroom box will be a box the size of a DVD player with a spinning HDD inside.

That company never fails to amaze me with stupidity..... can they not supply boxes with quieter hard-drives like everyone else does...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Fully agree. The hard drive in the Horizon box also never spins down - even when the box is in standby. This makes no sense at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,501 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I hounded them and eventually they found a replacement Pace HD box which I have now but I've informed them that if it ever fails, I will simply cancel multiroom. It may be that they plan on rolling out new features that will require a box with more processor power and a HDD and the Pace box couldn't hack it but for my requirements it delivers a brilliant HD picture and in complete silence!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I can't see any further development of the Mediabox platform at all to be honest, Horizon is now three years old. There was talk when it was in development of a Horizon multi room box along the lines of the Sky Q Mini that Sky have recently released but it never materialised.

Advertisement