Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bleach on indian sandstone

Options
  • 22-02-2016 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys
    I Have a nice patio area of indian sandstone. It gets very green and i was wondering if i use a thick bleach solution on it would it damage the colour ?

I would add bleach to water, brush on and leave for ten mins and then power wash off with a gentle washer

what ye think ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

I don't think bleach would stain Indian sandstone to be honest, but using bleach isn't environmentally friendly. If I were you, I would power wash the stone. If you don't have a power washer, you can hire one.

Edit: Silly me, but I just read where you say you have a power washer.:o
    I think the power washer would suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭sunnyday1234

Hotei wrote: »
    I don't think bleach would stain Indian sandstone to be honest, but using bleach isn't environmentally friendly. If I were you, I would power wash the stone. If you don't have a power washer, you can hire one.

Edit: Silly me, but I just read where you say you have a power washer.:o
    I think the power washer would suffice.

thanks. To get the slabs really clean using the powerwasher i have to go up very close with the washer and i think thats bad for the stones. A bit of bleach rubbed on and then gently washed works wonders. #

how is using bleach so bad for the environment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I cleaned my stones this year with a 2/3 to 1 water and bleach solution.
    I watercanned it on and then let the rain wash it off. They came up incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ps mine aren't Indian sandstone. Can't recall what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Bleach will work just fine on sandstone. The powerwasher will lift flakes here and there but it is unnoticeable. The powerwasher will however lift the grout, especially if you have used Rompox or similar. Heavy concentration bleach is also very effective at removing the black spots (lichens of some sort) that tend to colonise sandstone in our climate. There is no need to wash it off. The rain will do same and I think it becomes ineffective (if that is the correct word) after a period of time, not sure how long it takes.

• Advertisement

thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭webpal

What bleach would you use OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

A small (half cup) amount of domestic bleach in a bucket of water is all that is required. Best method to power wash area first , apply diluted bleach with a watering can (ideally fitted with a rose). Leave area to soak overnight and power wash again next day.

One needs to be very careful with bleach, very corrosive/toxic, so one needs to be very careful using bleach near soil/planted areas.

webpal wrote: »
    What bleach would you use OP?

parazone

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Use Patio Magic, available in many hardware stores. I have certainly seen it in Murtaghs Topline, in Ashbourne. Spray it on, hose it off, no need for high pressure. (No connection to either of the brand names mentioned)

• Advertisement
Advertisement