Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I connect my ASUS RT-AC87 Wireless router to my Old Netopia 2247NWG ADSLmodem

Options
  • 22-02-2016 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi
    I purchased an Asus RT-AC87 wireless router - as I want to use the VPN client facility on this router. But I am on ADSL broadband - and the Asus does not have an ADSL Modem.
    So I was going to continue to use my old Netopia 2247NWG (ISP Provided) as the modem and "somehow" pass the output to the new Asus.
    The problem is I have not gotten a clue how to do this. Can anybody help ?
    My goal is:
    1) use modem section of the Netopia to connect to ADSL
    2) Pass signal from Netopia to ASUS RT-AC87
    3) Use Asus as wireless router
    4) Use Asus RT-AC87in client VPN mode - ie use it to set up a VPN for my downstream SMART TV's, tables, computers etc.
    Also would it be possible to have two wireless networks ? one for VPN and one just straight ISP?
    Regards
    Sean

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have a look at post no 6 in this thread - you need to bridge the Netopia.
    "If you go into Expert Mode on the Netopia Page(http://192.168.1.254/) and select Connection there is an option to enable/disable bridging".

From a hazy memory you may also need to put the Eircom password and username into the asus as well and perhaps some other settings.... also.

It might also be worth asking over on the broadband forum if you need more help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Login and first disable wireless, then bridge the Netopia in Expert mode. Connect the Asus to any of the Netopia lan ports. Then setup PPPoE username eircom@eircom.net and password broadband1 on the Wan of the Asus so it gets the public IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭SeanDeng

Hi

I have bridged by Netopia to the Asus RT-AC87 - and it works

BUT....I keep getting broadband disconnection ..It could work fine for many hours then stop and wont reconnect unless I shutdown the Netopia modem and the Asus RT-AC87.

I will on many occasions on restart get a purple WAN light on the Asus...But no internet

any ideas ?

Sean

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Had you any sign of this problem before you started using the asus?. Do you know what your line stats are?

No..Did not have this problem before.

I seems to be loosing the Vodafone IP address (WAN IP)

I have noticed that on start up and when it looses the connection that the WAP IP is missing...but I can see the subnet Mask and DNS addresses...I cant remember for sure but I think the gateway address may also not have an address.
    It can take a long time for the Asus to connect...and during this time the WAN led is a purple colour !

Also of note...I have had Line faults during the past week.....which Vodafone now say are fixed.

I turned of DHCP on Modem

Regards
    Sean

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like the PPPoE isn't set as pinned up, its dropping the connection when it idles. You need to mark it as "always on" or equivalent.

it was on a timer - with 0 sec idle

I have reset it to 9999999 and will monitor

Thanks for the suggestion
    Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

0 normally indicates infinite, but try and see.

Also make sure the MTU is 1484 or less.

No Stumped....

Got the Netopia to bridge to the Asus AC87 and it worked for a while...but now all I get is no internet .

When I log on to the ASUS it indicates I have internet incoming but no packets incoming and all PCs show no internet - though a small amount outgoing (2kb/s)

I don't have a line issue because as soon as I reconnect my Vodafone router I get internet.

When I trouble shoot on the network connection on the PC's it come back with an error "Windows could not automatically detect this networks proxy settings"

One item of note: while I have set up Vodafone on the PPPOE, there is no where to put the following settings on the asus
    Multiplexing: LLC-based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    MTU: use default setting
    DNS: auto assigned

So have no idea where to go next

Sean

SeanDeng wrote: »
    No Stumped....

Got the Netopia to bridge to the Asus AC87 and it worked for a while...but now all I get is no internet .

When I log on to the ASUS it indicates I have internet incoming but no packets incoming and all PCs show no internet - though a small amount outgoing (2kb/s)

I don't have a line issue because as soon as I reconnect my Vodafone router I get internet.

When I trouble shoot on the network connection on the PC's it come back with an error "Windows could not automatically detect this networks proxy settings"

One item of note: while I have set up Vodafone on the PPPOE, there is no where to put the following settings on the asus
    Multiplexing: LLC-based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    MTU: use default setting
    DNS: auto assigned

So have no idea where to go next

Sean

Those are modem settings, they should be set on the Netopia. I would factory reset, set the Netopia to bridge and then add pppoe to the wan interface of the Asus so it can dual through the modem.

• Advertisement

Hi
    Thanks for the reply

So I am clear, I need have these setting on both the netopia and the Asus set to PPPOE?

As it stand I have these settings on the Netopia and it is then set to Bridged mode. With wireless and DHCP turned off.

On the Asus, I have the PPPOE set and have inputted Vodafone@vodafone.ie + password....is this correct ??

I check the MTU as per "ED E's" post and it was set to 1492 and MRU set to 1492. I changed the MTU setting to 1482.

It is strange that the ASUS indicates I have internet - but the PCs are saying No

Regards

Sean

Factory reset the Netopia, it will already have these settings on reset, login and disable wireless and in expert mode set it to a bridge which disables the routing functions making it just a modem. Factory reset your router, the Asus. Login and under wan set pppoe details and connect the wan port to one if the lan ports of the Netopia. The wan interface should then get a public ip and gateway allowing it to talk to the internet.

Thx Mass debater

Should I have Autosensing PPPOE / DHCP enabled on the Netopia ?

Sean

Thx Mass debater

Should I have Autosensing PPPOE / DHCP enabled on the Netopia ?

Sean

When you bridge it everything gets disabled

Hi Again

No I see the boxes are ticked on the Netopia for Autosensing and DHCP when in bridged mode

1) I have reset both Netopia and Asus.
    2) I have set up Vodafone on Netopia (it comes up with Eircom as std as it is an eircom box)
    3) Set to bridged mode - SNAP version on Netopia..I think it is called
    4) Have tired DHCP on and off ...as box is ticked when it switch to bridge mode
    5) Notice no internet light when Netopia is in bridge mode but do have DSL light
    6) Cant access my netopia via Ethernet cable when in bridge mode
    7) Asus does not see internet....but WAN light us purple not red

Sean

Hi Again

No I see the boxes are ticked on the Netopia for Autosensing and DHCP when in bridged mode

1) I have reset both Netopia and Asus.
    2) I have set up Vodafone on Netopia (it comes up with Eircom as std as it is an eircom box)
    3) Set to bridged mode - SNAP version on Netopia..I think it is called
    4) Have tired DHCP on and off ...as box is ticked when it switch to bridge mode
    5) Notice no internet light when Netopia is in bridge mode but do have DSL light
    6) Cant access my netopia via Ethernet cable when in bridge mode
    7) Asus does not see internet....but WAN light us purple not red

Sean

Read what I said, factory reset the Netopia, disable wireless, enable expert mode and bridge it. Do not touch any other settings. Enter pppoe on the Asus. Once you bridge the Netopia you will not be able to access it again without a static ip on your laptop network interface. You will not get internet light because it doesn't dial pppoe, the Asus will do that. Dsl light means is working on the Netopia. The Asus must dial pppoe on it's wan interface, have you set that up correctly?

Thanks again for taking the time to Help.

I followed you instructions turning on "Bridge" only on the Netopia.

On ASUS...on restart it tries to detect the signal but cant. Even when I input VODAFONE /password on WAN screen with PPPOE....still nothing.

I have attached Screen shots. So I am doing something wrong I assume.

Sean

Change the protocol from pppoe over ethernet to bridged ethernet, then go into expert mode and under connection set it to bridge.

Hi Again

This is actually the config I had....but the Asus in not getting an WAN IP, DNS /subnet mask

I have now tried with DHCP on/off, UPnP on/off......still nothing

But I still have a purple light on WAN ...and in Asus Trafffice monitor ..there is traffic

SD

Update:
    I have been on to Asus tech support and they have asked me to return the RT-AC87 router for replacement

Thanks for the help
    Sean

• Advertisement

Update:
    I have been on to Asus tech support and they have asked me to return the RT-AC87 router for replacement

Thanks for the help
    Sean

As a matter of interest where are you returning it to?

Amazon....Am looking at Asus RT-AC3200 model which is on special offer today (37% off)
    SD

Update:

The Asus RT3200 arrived today and I connected it up 15 mins ago using bridging from the Netopia......it worked 1st time, detecting the DSL signal. All now up and running, so will monitor it for a few days. :)

So definitely a faulty RT-AC87

Thanks again for all the help, esp as it was frustrating to get to the bottom of the issue....I really appreciate it.

BTW...next task is to apply a VPN to the router....any suggestions ?...I have PIA VPN on two PC's but I want to have my Samsung SMART TV's to go through the VPN also. :confused:

Sean

Advertisement