Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone scam ?

Options
  • 22-02-2016 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Perhaps the wrong place to post but not sure where.

Getting 4 calls a day saying this is "Eircom" and there is a virus etc on your computer blah blah. I am not with "Eir" either so I am pretty certain it's a scam - perhaps they are calling Galway just ?
    Anyway It is/will drive me/family nuts, anyone know of a way to bar the calls ? Or just get it to stop ?
    I have done the "have fun with them wasting their time" but now it is actually just causing stress.

Any advice would be of help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

We used to get about 4 calls a day from India saying it was Microsoft running a similar scam. I also had my fun with them and once even lost my temper so they called nonstop for hours until I had to unplug the phone for a few hours until they gave up (DoS attack). The only solution that works is to stop answering and let the machine pick up. Their software seems to detect this, hang up, and move on. They kept calling for several weeks but eventually their software figures out bad numbers and dropped us off their list. Never get calls like that now, but we still screen and tbh expect friends/family would call our mobiles anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

jogdish wrote: »
    Hello,
    Perhaps the wrong place to post but not sure where.

Getting 4 calls a day saying this is "Eircom" and there is a virus etc on your computer blah blah. I am not with "Eir" either so I am pretty certain it's a scam - perhaps they are calling Galway just ?
    Anyway It is/will drive me/family nuts, anyone know of a way to bar the calls ? Or just get it to stop ?
    I have done the "have fun with them wasting their time" but now it is actually just causing stress.

Any advice would be of help.

eir is a new one on me, was Microsoft when I got em. Why would Eir be calling about a computer? Thats just bad scamming, the damn amateurs

The number that comes up is fake, they are based god knows where so no, very little but if you strong them along and give an excuse for silence on the phone while you check the password or whatever, they get the message. Your phone number will eventually fall off whatever list is doing the rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement