Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on installing EV charge point

Options
  • 22-02-2016 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Hi I'd like to install my EV charge point outside and run a cable from the fuse board.
    It's a 16amp 3.3Kwh charger.
    If I get a 40amp rcd breaker how do I install this on the board?
    Then it's just a matter of running the cable outside to the wall mounted charger.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

It is illegal to carry out Restricted Electrical Works without being a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

OP you can to try to get a prefabricated extension lead with the correct connections at either end.

This negates the necessity to carry out electrical connections for you.

Regarding the breaker on the board, the best thing to do here would be to contract an electrician to do the work at the board. This would be a breaker and a 16 amp socket, working on a live board was never recommend regardless of recent developments.

However the prefab extension lead can be used by you to get you from the socket to the EV Point.

Other posters please note. We have a forum charter regarding offering legal advice. Please read the charter on same.

We can help users here without a blanket post regarding getting an electrician. We can offer advice to allow users to approach their task in a safe way and advise about cost effective alternatives to achieving their needs, or simply a better idea.

If you have an issue with that please pm me. We try to promote a welcoming environment here.

I understood that it was against the forum charter to promote the carrying out of an illegal activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Risteard81 wrote: »
    I understood that it was against the forum charter to promote the carrying out of an illegal activity.

Has it been promoted?

quote=Risteard81]I understood that it was against the forum charter to promote the carrying out of an illegal activity.[/quote]

I'm not convinced that you understand the charter.

It has a section on offering legal advice. This is an inherited house rule.

We can offer advice and alternative approaches

The aim of the forum is explained in the first two paragraphs.

We asked in the forum and I asked in the last response to PM a mod if there is an issue with same. We can clear it up there without derailing a thread.

It would be best not to continue posting here on this issue

Thank you for understanding

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that you understand the charter.

It has a section on offering legal advice. This is an inherited house rule.

I would respecfully suggest that you do not understand it if you consider that factually pointing out that a particular course of action would be unlawful construes giving legal advice. I have no desire to offer legal advice.

Risteard81 wrote:
    It is illegal to carry out Restricted Electrical Works .

Risteard81 wrote:
    promote the carrying out of an illegal activity.

Risteard81 wrote:
    I have no desire to offer legal advice.

I've asked you twice to take this to PM if you wanted to continue the discussion. There we could develop your points in a constructive environment and leave this thread to the OP.

I've asked you twice as a moderator to observe the forum charter, this extends to derailing threads, reporting posts, following the charter, following the guidance offered by moderators etc.

I'm asking you for a third time on both counts.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Admin note: Risteard81 - You have been clearly advised by the mod to take this to PM if you wish to discuss the matter further. Failure to do so will drag this thread further off-topic. This may result in your posting privileges to the forum being revoked.

I would also ask that you familiarise yourself with the forum charter before you post again.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kendelaney7

Can anyone recommend an electrician to install an outside charger for me? Thanks.

Can anyone recommend an electrician to install an outside charger for me? Thanks.

Ken please open your own thread I'm closing this 8 month old one. There is a sticky for contractors on the main electrical forum.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement