Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxback (after you're finished the IEC & home!)

• 22-02-2016 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭

Question for those who may have had similar experience the past.

I moved home from Canada after a solid 2 years in Vancouver this past July and I'm expecting my T4 at the end of this month or thereabouts, has anyone had any experience getting tax back after moving home ?

I filed two sets of taxes while living there, the first one I went through H&R Block which was a disaster, (if only I'd known how simple it was...)..the second time I did it myself but I didn't exactly strike it rich like I anticipated by the way everyone goes on about tax season!

Anyways, when I did it over there, the Revenue crowd just deposited the returns directly into my bank account but what's the procedure like for people who have left the country and returned to a slightly less exciting Ireland again?

Would they mail a cheque to Ireland? or can they transfer money to an Irish Account?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Doing it with Taxback.com myself and they will post a cheque home if thats any help to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yea, I'm aware of those guys but wouldn't be too keen. I'm due a healthy enough refund and would rather not donate 12.5% + prep/handling fee of it to them for filling out some forms!

I'm more curious as to those who have done it themselves and sent the stuff abroad.

It's just a matter of transferring the details on my T4 to the necessary forms, but I'm curious if anyone has experience filing from Ireland themselves, without any third party involvement.

I don't think i can use NETFILE any more without my Canadian bank account,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Did it with h&r block each year i was there with no issues. First year back in ireland i tried taxback.com who, after submitting all docs, said i owed $200. Screw that, says me, so sent an email to h&r block asking if they could do it for me even though im abroad. They did, ended up getting a cheque for $500 mailed to me in Ireland. Id recommend them to anyone, although i understand if you had issues with them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Yea, I wasn't happy with H&R Block as they came recommended from a few lads but they charged a larger fee as I was regarded as a "special case" due to being on the IEC visa/ filing for first time in Canada.

$120 up front or something daft. Cowboys! I naively thought "grand" this is how it's meant to be. Paying for convenience. Sent in the taxes good and early, hoping to get a bit of a return, but no.

I found out a few other lads in same situation as myself, did the taxes themselves using one of the online step-by-step sites and got their return after a week or two.

So basically they filed after me, without a third party involved and got their return a few weeks before I did!

Left a sour taste I suppose.

---
    With regards to this year, I bit the bullet and used:
    http://www.studiotax.com/en/?page=1
    [ http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/esrvc-srvce/tx/ndvdls/netfile-impotnet/crtfdsftwr/menu-eng.html ]
    It was on this list of approved products from the CRA.

Simple app, quick wizard, type in your T4 details and anything else. It's grand and straightforward enough, would recommend it to anyone over there now as they can file via NETFILE if they've a Canadian bank account.
    Completely free, no fees, incredibly hard to make a balls of.

I printed out all the docs. I called the International Tax Office for some info, and they said send on the T1 and T4, and to accompany it with a letter with my Irish address and contact details and that they'd post on the cheque. They even said they'd make it out to € if I wanted! Posted it off the tax office in Ottawa via registered post a few days ago. So, now I wait and see..

Will edit this and let ye know how I get on, just in case anyone else is curious..

Advertisement