Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hans Zimmer May 26 2016

Options
  • 22-02-2016 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Just been confirmed that Johnny Marr is going to be a guest at Hans Zimmer's concert in Dublin. Should be a great show.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

I know he plays guitar on a few tracks but for me that is a strange addition.
    Seems only the expensive tickets are left and I'm not sure he'd be the act to see them sell.

Anyone else attending later?

That set list looks fantastic. Looking forward to it.

Opening Medley
    Driving
    (Miss Daisy)

Discombobulate
    (Sherlock Holmes)

Zoosters Breakout
    (Madagascar)

Crimson Tide/Angels and Demons
    Speech about Crimson Tide (Tony Scott)

Roll Tide
    (Crimson Tide)

160 BPM
    (Angels and Demons)

Gladiator Medley
    Speech about Gladiator (Ridley Scott)

The Wheat
    (with Czarina Russell) (Gladiator)

The Battle
    (Gladiator)

Elysium
    (Gladiator)

Now We Are Free
    (Gladiator)

The Da Vinci Code... Story about Paris and inspiration
    Chevaliers de Sangreal
    (The Da Vinci Code)

Lion King medley
    Circle of Life (prelude)
    (with Lebo M) (Lion King... with Lebo M and Zoe Mthiyane)

This Land

Circle of Life (ending)

Pirates of the Caribbean medley
    Jack Sparrow
    (with Tina Guo) (POTC: Dead Man's Chest...… more )

One Day
    (with Tina Guo) (POTC: At World's End... with… more )

Up Is Down
    (with Tina Guo) (POTC: At World's End... with… more )

He's a Pirate
    (POTC: The Curse of the Black Pearl)

Concert Part 2: Opening medley
    You're So Cool
    (True Romance)

World Premiere: Ann Marie Calhoun and Mike Einziger bluegrass solo as part of their honeymoon
    (Unknown)
    (Bluegrass solo on violin and banjo)
    Rain Man Theme
    (Rain Man)

Electro medley... Beginning of visual effects on background
    What Are You Going to Do When You Are Not Saving the World?
    (Man of Steel)

Journey to the Line
    (The Thin Red Line)

The Electro Suite
    (The Amazing Spider-Man 2...… more )

The Dark Knight medley
    Why So Serious?
    (The Dark Knight)

Like a Dog Chasing Cars
    (The Dark Knight)

Why Do We Fall?
    (The Dark Knight Rises)

Introduce a Little Anarchy
    (The Dark Knight)

Bane Theme
    (The Dark Knight Rises)

Aurora... Speech about Christopher Nolan, remembrance of Heath Ledger and Colorado shootings in 2012
    Aurora ]
    (Choral arrangement of the… more )

Interstellar medley... With copy of pipe organs on stage
    Cornfield Chase
    (Interstellar)

Where We're Going
    (Interstellar)

No Time For Caution
    (Interstellar)

Stay
    (Interstellar)

Concert Encore: Inception medley
    Dream Is Collapsing
    (Inception)

Mombasa
    (with Satnam Ramgotra) (Inception... with Satnam… more )

Time
    (Inception... with Tina Guo,… more )

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm way up in the nosebleed section for this, but looking forward to it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Wailin

Incredible show, sound was overwhelming. Dark Knight medley was the highlight for me.

• Advertisement

One of the best gigs I've been to. An absolute feast for the senses.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I actually thought the roof was going to cave in from the bass at one stage.

Hans is hilarious.

Amazing gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

Incredibly powerful gig, that one will certainly live long in the memory!

I forgot to buy a program, gah!

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mikekerry

10/10 amazing gig.
    the crowd were very good also, they just sat there and took it all in, nobody falling around drunk.
    hans is a very funny guy.
    the band and choir were great too.
    the encore was amazing

Top Class.

If it finished at the interlude i would have left satisfied.
    Everyone in the house loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Was a fantastic concert. Was really looking forward to the Interstellar, Gladiator and Inception pieces but loved every minute of it including lion king and Pirates.

Everyone around us seemed to love it, people leaning forward in seats the whole time. Hans was great and really appreciated every musician around him.

Great to see mike einziger as its the closest ill ever see to Incubus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Sorry I missed this :(

Sounded like a great gig , - Where was it ? - edit I see the point ..

Were the Interstellar pieces good ?

Sorry I missed this :(

Sounded like a great gig , - Where was it ? - edit I see the point ..

They where unreal, the whole show in fact. Sound was incredible.

What were the projections like? Most of the screen was blocked from where I was sitting.

What were the projections like? I most of the screen was blocked from where I was sitting.

Projections were nothing special, although the effects throughout the Dark Knight were hypnotic, but the light show was very good on stage.

It was the bit of music that i knew least about but i thought it could have been the best piece.

The church organs came out along with Marr. Blinding white lights on the stage. Really special.

Thought the Crimson Tide / Angels and Demons was sensational too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

mikekerry wrote: »
    the crowd were very good also, they just sat there and took it all in, nobody falling around drunk.
    Except for the tool behind me... After getting slapped in the back of the head for intervening when he kept pulling my sisters hair (I know. WTF?!?) I was restrained from thumping the head of him by several lads from Derry sitting nearby. Went to security instead and he was chucked out at the interval. Great show after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,737 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

mikekerry wrote: »

Yeah, classical movie score enthusiasts are usually notorious for their lairy behaviour alright :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭denismc

What an excellent show from a very talented group of musicians. It started off light and fluffy with Lion King etc. And it seemed to get darker and grittier as the show went on with mentions of Aurora and Heath Ledger.
    The addition of Johnny Marr added even more edge and grit to the show, I thought he would only play a few tracks but he played through most of the 2nd half of the show. Its the first time I have heard him live and can understand why people rate him so highly. He certainly added to the rock feel of the show.
    Mike Erzinger and the other guitar (can't remember his name) are pretty talented too.
    One of the best gigs I have been at and will go again

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

denismc wrote: »
    What an excellent show from a very talented group of musicians. It started off light and fluffy with Lion King etc. And it seemed to get darker and grittier as the show went on with mentions of Aurora and Heath Ledger.
    The addition of Johnny Marr added even more edge and grit to the show, I thought he would only play a few tracks but he played through most of the 2nd half of the show. Its the first time I have heard him live and can understand why people rate him so highly. He certainly added to the rock feel of the show.
    Mike Erzinger and the other guitar (can't remember his name) are pretty talented too.
    One of the best gigs I have been at and will go again

Other guitar (the amazing one): Guthrie Govan

• Advertisement

denismc wrote: »

The other guitarist was Guthrie Govan, incredibly talented. Actually my 4th time seeing him live, across 3 different acts.

Ha, beaten to it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

Have to say it was a fantastic experience at the show. It was everything that I expected and more. To hear and witness the wonderful musicians on stage bring everything together with such precision. The choreography of the lights in tandem with the music was breathtaking. Hans Zimmer is a genius and his merry band of friends ain't half bad either.

The only complaint I had was about the gob****e couple in front of me who spent most of the evening using their phones for videos and selfies.:(:( Why even bother go if you are not going to view the concert properly.

Macker1 wrote: »
    The only complaint I had was about the gob****e couple in front of me who spent most of the evening using their phones for videos and selfies.:(:( Why even bother go if you are not going to view the concert properly.

Alas this is a common complaint from gig goers and one that confounds many. One chap in front of me, videoed the show while staring straight at the screen throughout. I can't understand it tbh; effectively he hasn't seen these segments of the show live and I don't understand the compulsion personally :confused:

Wailin wrote: »
    Projections were nothing special, although the effects throughout the Dark Knight were hypnotic, but the light show was very good on stage.

I'd agree with this; the lights were fantastic but the rear projections weren't anything particularly special.

I did have an 'overheard in Dublin' moment at this when one patron said to another "what age am I? Oh sorry, what row am I?!"

What were the projections like? Most of the screen was blocked from where I was sitting.

The projections were minimal enough. For the likes of Interstellar, they had an image of the pipes of a church organ. For the DaVinci Code, they had medieval arches. A few moving images too. Minimal use on the back screen was just fine with me though, as there was so much going on everywhere else to keep me entertained and with so much going on, no matter the quality, there is a risk of overcooking it.

The show was just perfect for me as it was. I'm in the 'best gig ever' camp as quite a few seem to be, so it's a given that I loved everything throughout the show. I have to give special mention to the lighting design though. The visual effects told a story of their own. The lighting and the programming of said lighting was meticulous, and definitely the best I've seen at a shít load of gigs, musicals and events. That said, I haven't been to Roger Waters and The Wall!

Here's a decent quality user upload of a show from France earlier in the tour, with setlist and time-stamps. Apparently there's a blu-ray on the way after the tour wraps up. That is money I will be parting with for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Amazing, incredible experience. The sound was fantastic, but it was the light show that really took it into the stratosphere. Top-class musicians all - it was the Indian drummer who really stood out for me.

For the person who couldn't see the screen, there were some interesting displays, but the best was for The Thin Red Line, where it started off as a thin broken red (d'uh!) line on the screen. The dashes gradually came together and formed a solid red line which got bigger and eventually covered the whole screen. The lighting then kicked in and bathed the musicians in a gradually spreading red light too. Superb.

I was thinking, if it wasn't the best gig I was ever at, it certainly must be in my top 3. For those who like Hans Zimmer's music but didn't get to go, unfortunately you really missed out.

If the tour wasn't coming to an end this Sunday, I'd seriously consider going again ...

What a show, I've barely not thought about it in the past two weeks. Really looking forward to the Bluray and hopefully they'll do a double CD to go along with it.
    stankratz wrote: »
    The visual effects told a story of their own. The lighting and the programming of said lighting was meticulous, and definitely the best I've seen at a shít load of gigs, musicals and events. That said, I haven't been to Roger Waters and The Wall!

I just discovered that the lighting was designed by Marc Brickman when I watched this documentary about how the show was put together:

Advertisement