Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    My mother died last year so it's coming up to one year without her. What makes it worse is that today is my birthday and I can count on one hand how many people said happy birthday to me, all of them being family. Don't think I've ever truly cried like I did today. Lonely just isn't a strong enough word.

Sorry to hear that Jamiekelly.

Birthdays can be upsetting for a lot of people as it is an annual reminder of the passage of time. This can be difficult if it reminds us of who we've lost in that period.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭blinkwink

Hey there Blinkwink, good to hear you're doing Cbt, it's tough going though, you can't be doing the 'homework' at all times. Set aside some part o the day that is usually good for you (or just the least bad) to attempt something from the course.. There's no right or wrong here, having a go is the important part, it may seem like nothing on the day but Cbt is full of lifelong skills - we don't learn multiplication or how to tie our laces in one day! Well done, keep at it, one step at a time ;)
    I've had conversations like this with my counsellor recently. It comes to a stage when you're so f*cking sick of looking for and accepting help, when (in my case) it feels like everyone has been so good to me, like I've been given far more chances and help than most, and yet I'm still not where I want to be or where I feel like others expect me to be.

And you need to remember that, actually, those expectations are probably only coming from yourself.

I remember doing a DBT course a couple of years back, it was a group course and I was pretty much the star pupil, always did my homework so thoroughly and said and did all the right things. And you know what - in hindsight, I probably got an awful lot less out of it than those who struggled with it. Because they were engaging with it a lot more honestly than me, rather than just floating along on the surface of everything.

Do your best with the homework, but also be completely honest about how and why you're struggling with it - no matter what the reasons are. Your first inclination might be to think you're just lazy, but chances are it goes a lot deeper than that - we always think the worst of ourselves.

Just remember, if you were breezing through the CBT homework and it was all coming naturally and easily to you - chances are that it wasn't the right course for you in the first place! The fact it's not that way makes it more likely that it's a necessary part of your therapy, and money well spent. :)

Thanks guys, that made me feel a lot better. I realise I'm expecting too much from CBT and need to take it day by day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

You have a right to feel annoyed but best option is to bring it up with her. I actually wouldnt focus too much on them checking their phone its not needed but as i alreaddy said if you dont like it tell them

Fortunately for me, I won't be spending another second in the CBT therapist hands.

Ditting in a room watching someone meddle with their phone is not therapy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

I got referred to a psychiatrist, went to him yesterday. Didn't know what to expect, but got diagnosed with depression and anxiety, I already knew I had it but I have to say the relief that its on paper, that its out there and they are going to help me has been very positive for me. Professional people are going to try figure me out, instead of me trying to do it all.

He upped my medication so we'll see how I get on and am referred to a day centre. Now that kinda scared me cause I didn't know what to expect but he told me I will be learning techniques to manage my anxiety. I think I pictured something like a nursing home.

But what made me break down was when he told me I badly needed help, that hit hard, that's what I was maybe avoiding. And really that no one knows that I was there, what I am going through and looking for help.

So ya, heres hoping all will be OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Any poster here with experience of GAD and how did it go for you, what worked best etc. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement

PMBC wrote:
    Any poster here with experience of GAD and how did it go for you, what worked best etc. Thanks in advance

Hi PMBC. I personally wasn't diagnosed with this.
    Am sure others will give their views in coming days.

Welcome to the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just looking for some info really, im going through an extremely bad patch of anxiety lately, its been going on four years or more but its starting to get worse, going from one thing to another and it nearly capitulated in me ending up going into a psychiatric hospital, I had a terrible night last night, ended up at the doctor early today after being there the day before who then suggested i go in somewhere, it would of been a public hospital.

Anyway the place in question didn't have good reviews, they were flagged for several issues earlier this year so I declined, against the doctors wishes.

Im on medication a while, im also waiting for an appointment with the local mental health clinic, where I have been before, I got an emergency appointment with my local hospitals psyche team about two days before I went to the doctor, they gave me some sleeping tablets and said id probably benefit from CBT in the long term and said they would try to move up my appointment to as soon as possible.

Thanks for reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Red F Warrior

Jamiekelly wrote:
    My mother died last year so it's coming up to one year without her. What makes it worse is that today is my birthday and I can count on one hand how many people said happy birthday to me, all of them being family. Don't think I've ever truly cried like I did today. Lonely just isn't a strong enough word.

Happy Birthday. My thoughts are with you. Keep fighting and things will get better.

Struggling lately with a pure OCD related concern. What I hate about it is that it latches onto and attacks something that is really important to you and makes you feel no longer like yourself.
    I've my third appointment with my new therapist tomorrow since my last one retired. Tbh I've cancelled the last three cos I hate going to this new one. She is a nice lady but she's very ditsy and half the time it feels like she doesn't really understand what I'm trying to say. I'm in an area too where she is the only therapist I can see. Tbh I feel I need to see a different one but I've got no other options.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Having a big crash today, next few days will be bed if i know my pattern by now. I find it so disapp[ointing

• Advertisement

I know a lot of people have their own problems etc but I simply can't imagine being someone who doesn't suffer badly with mental illness. The shear happiness they must be able to enjoy is alien to me.

I know a lot of people have their own problems etc but I simply can't imagine being someone who doesn't suffer badly with mental illness. The shear happiness they must be able to enjoy is alien to me.

I don't suffer from mental illness and I assure you that sheer happiness is a kind of distant concept for me :) Instead I manage the best I can and enjoy moments of contentment.

When I was in my twenties I did have many a dark day and I assumed everyone else was experiencing and living this wonderful life. That wasn't the case at all. Even the most stable of minds have their darkness. Sometimes our assumptions can hold us back. You too can have happiness and contentment :)

When I was in my twenties I did have many a dark day and I assumed everyone else was experiencing and living this wonderful life. That wasn't the case at all. Even the most stable of minds have their darkness. Sometimes our assumptions can hold us back. You too can have happiness and contentment

My mental illness attacks my identity and I can remember a sustained period of time where I was happy. ATM I can't see myself being who I want to be.

My mental illness attacks my identity and I can remember a sustained period of time where I was happy. ATM I can't see myself being who I want to be.

If you know who you want to be then keep that in sight. Mental illness can sabotage us but it's not actually who you are. I can say that because I know that underneath the pain is an individual with hopes and dreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'm really just sick of it all. Why can't I have friends and be happy? I've been trying and trying for ages but it doesn't help. Just what's the fcuking point of continuing on with this sh1tness of a life.

I know it's not healthy to be jealous etc but I just don't get it. When ya see a lot of online bloggers traveling here and there, experiencing amazing things, surrounded by funny and amazing people, having anything they want and there's people like us, who just struggle to crack a smile from morning to night and are just engulfed in sadness. I know those people online may have their own hidden struggles but they still have it a lot better than me due to the fact they are able to do all of those things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Holy sh1t, mood/mental state just went off completely, my limbs are lead, i feel two inches tall and i'm in physical pain.. Can't even sit up properly.. Thank fcuk there's no one around to tell me to pull myself together i guess. Logic tells me this will pass, emotionally i'm tearing apart.

Holy sh1t, mood/mental state just went off completely, my limbs are lead, i feel two inches tall and i'm in physical pain.. Can't even sit up properly.. Thank fcuk there's no one around to tell me to pull myself together i guess. Logic tells me this will pass, emotionally i'm tearing apart.

You'll be ok. Keep fighting. We want you to be happy.

Two hours done of my shift. Concentrating really really hard on my breath.

Fair play to ya. Keep it up. You can do this.

• Advertisement

Another hour done. Hope the tension has eased.

Found the right music for my brain. I'll manage just a long night ahead.

Thanks so much for the support folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

You are an inspiration to everyone in here , showing that it IS possible to get through the tough times , your posts help more people than you know .

Stay safe :)

Good on ya. No bother to ya.

Gosh, don't know what to say, just thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

And the thing is, no matter how slowly it goes, those times do eventually pass. Even when the minutes feel like hours, and everything is completely overwhelming you. God, I know how it feels.

I remember having a day like that when I'd only just left rehab earlier this year. I met my counsellor in a local coffee shop for what was meant to be a one hour session, instead she stayed and literally held my hand and got me through that entire day ... until at some point in the afternoon, when I stopped shaking and crying and could actually breathe naturally and normally again. No one's ever done that for me before, I'd never wanted anyone to either. Meant the absolute world to me.

And every time it's happened since then, whether I'm on my own or not, I just remember that day and her kindness and care, and somehow it helps me get through it. Just knowing that there's people like her in the world, and knowing that I can physically survive anything my anxiety throws at me.

Thanks, i got through work and am hiding in a duvet and pillow fort now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Thanks, i got through work and am hiding in a duvet and pillow fort now.

You're amazing. I think a lot of people would have (justifiably) had to call in sick, I know how tough it can be. Well done!

I'm arguing with a guy on another thread that's claiming that telling some people with a mental illness to 'suck it up' can help them. I'm trying to get my point across that if the person is able to 'suck it up' and move on then it's not a mental illness. It's infuriating how ignorant some people are.

• Advertisement

I'm arguing with a guy on another thread that's claiming that telling some people with a mental illness to 'suck it up' can help them. I'm trying to get my point across that if the person is able to 'suck it up' and move on then it's not a mental illness. It's infuriating how ignorant some people are.

I wouldn't go getting too invested in the argument.
    Some people can be very entrenched in their views and while it is annoying to see that, it can be very draining to try to convince them otherwise.

Advertisement