Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Hugs SB. I had a rotten day too. I find it hard to do Mondays, I really do. I know it sounds so silly, but it just seems so much harder to get going than any other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Hugs SB. I had a rotten day too. I find it hard to do Mondays, I really do. I know it sounds so silly, but it just seems so much harder to get going than any other day.

It's always a hard day.

Hope ye all have a better one tomorrow.

Thanks Hugo!

I actually have a gem of a housemate. She got me to go for a walk with her to get a coffee and enjoy the nice weather. It helped lift my mood and was just good to get out of the house in general. I'm lucky to have great people like her in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

EI, The nice weather defo helps lift you mood and it's hopefully gonna last for the week. The nice weather must have done something for me, I was in very high spirits all day and actually ventured way out of my comfort zone without problems. Hopefully tomorrow is as good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Slept all day again today. No idea how nice it was. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

mansize wrote: »
    Slept all day again today. No idea how nice it was. :(

I tried to sleep after work and got nowhere with it, the sun ended up annoying me would you believe? If you slept you probably needed it, don't beat yourself up..

another night awake after sleeping all fcuking day! But I did put a load of washing on so... some brownie points :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Love the smell of fresh laundry. Least you managed that, I've to rewash whatever is in my machine because i left the house without pulling it out. Again.
    Hope you get a sleep pattern sorted for yourself..

Love the smell of fresh laundry. Least you managed that, I've to rewash whatever is in my machine because i left the house without pulling it out. Again.
    Hope you get a sleep pattern sorted for yourself..

Oh honey I just put the wash on, getting it out it a whole other struggle

Oh honey I just put the wash on, getting it out it a whole other struggle

Somebody else who gets it!. Thought i was the only one that often had to rewash clothes.

• Advertisement

Stages of washing:

Getting the stuff off the floor
    Sorting it into whites/non whites
    Put on a wash - if I discover there's washing in there - have a little cry
    Take out the washing- sometimes I spin twice
    If if get it out and it don't smell so bad, hang it out - otherwise back to step 3
    Hang it out- watch the rain fall- cry

Stages for me:
    Run out of clean things to wear
    Scrabble around gathering clothes from various rooms
    Turn everything inside out
    Put in machine if nothing else is lingering there
    Wash
    Forget
    Wash
    Forget
    Take out and curse while pulling bits of discarded tissue off of everything
    Wear, sneeze due to tissue, thus using more tissue to complete the cycle of adding tissue to every wash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Guys I shouldn't laugh but these last few posts are totally me right now at this second. Thank you for the first laugh I've had in days, I really appreciate it!

mickstupp wrote: »
    Guys I shouldn't laugh but these last few posts are totally me right now at this second. Thank you for the first laugh I've had in days, I really appreciate it!

There's always a funny side, I'm glad you got a laugh out of it, even here it's not all gloom and doom..

I'm the exact same when it comes to washing haha. Thankfully my shopping addiction means it's very rare that I actually fully run out of clothes. Appropriate clothes maybe! I'd be the girl you'd see in the summer dress, Docs and leggings walking down the atreet. Not out of fashion sense, but cause that's all that is clean!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Same issue with the washing machine. :)

Today has been a really bad day panic wise. We have a visit over at the minute so enteraining and I just wanna curl up in a ball and hide. Must put on the happy face and screaming inside.

I can't eat because i'm too nervous. Does anyone else get more anxious if they're hungry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Not been able to get out of bed today.

If someone could come round, pull me out of bed, throw me in the shower, then feed me, that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Not a great day here today. I messed up a task for the second day in a row and got an overly severe giving out to for it. Lots of pressure for tomorrow now. Came really close to quitting this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

i've been reading this thread for a while and the support you guys give each other is incredible.

I was diagnosed with general Anxiety disorder and depression two years ago , i still find it kinda hard to talk to people about it and outside of my fiance and my parents nobody knows.i've been on Citalopram

The last few weeks have been pretty tough , my job which is permanent is not looking as secure as it was before the election and because of that we've been turned down for a mortgage. i had a ruff couple of weeks and my doctors doubled my dose up to 40mg a day.

I do feel better less anxious and more relaxed but im tired and kinda zoned out allot of the time . i suppose i'm concerned that in a year my dose has gone up , i don't really want to stay on them forever, has anyone any experience with coming off these drugs ? is it difficult ?

I got out of bed today- and hung out and brought in the washing (well theres still some out)

wrecked, so decided i can go to bed now :)

• Advertisement

Not a great day here today. I messed up a task for the second day in a row and got an overly severe giving out to for it. Lots of pressure for tomorrow now. Came really close to quitting this afternoon.

man that was me before Xmas, and had a right nasty co-worker that would put the boot in.

Got out of there. Best thing I ever did.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

man that was me before Xmas, and had a right nasty co-worker that would put the boot in.

Got out of there. Best thing I ever did.

I've been in that boat. Work shouldn't be a constant struggle. A person's health is more important.

Well done on completing those tasks today.

I came across this short article and found it interesting http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3493348/My-twenties-write-Happy-Valley-star-Sarah-Lancashire-reveals-s-battled-depression-17-contemplated-suicide-twice.html#comments-3493348. I feel I lost a lot of my late teens and twenties due to mental illness. It's so good to see she is better now and has a successful career. I like the line where she says you don't see the depression yet you hide it's affects from others. That's exactly how I used to act.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

Hey guys hope eveyones week is going good! My days have improved a lot my dad is being nice to me so the atmosphere is relaxed the last few days I dont feel like I am walking on eggshells haha. I am off 2mo so going in to enjoy the parade. I am going to the pub to enjoy the atmosphere im using tomorrow as an opportunity to get back out there and hopefully bump into some people I know and try and reconnect with the world again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dublinman101

Have had problems with depression and anxiety since I was 17. Now 39. Have used all routes to try and deal with it. On medication and get counselling. I am functioning quite well on the outside but it is a real struggle on the inside at times. It makes it easier that I don't have kids maybe.
    Last week I was sailing through life. Really felt I had it all worked out. Then this week I've been anxious and quite low again. Probably triggered by a bit of work anxiety - a few things that are tricky. I sometimes wonder did I pick the wrong career but then I acknowledge I had problems with this before I ever started this career. All advice and comfort is much appreciated. Anyone have that - when you think you have the problem solved and it comes back at you?
    Wish you all the best.

I don't want to go to work tomorrow. I don't want to go to work tomorrow. I don't want to go to work tomorrow. Feel out of sorts. I am not happy at the moment. I'm just not happy at the moment.

I overanalyse everything but do I focus on the right issues. I hate having to delete people from my life but some people are more hassle than I can allow in my life.

Feel like saying fcuk off to everyone though. However this is what I would of done in the past so I need to avoid getting into a strop because one part of my life turned out differently to how I expected it to. I actually give myself a headache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Well for the first time tonight, In almost a year, I actually venture outside my comfort zone in a huge way. I seen a program about agrophobia, how to cure it and before I knew it I was out and about with no probelms whatsoever. I was even able to get about 2 miles from my home on foot :) I conquered a long, straight road which I was even scared to look at last week.

The fear just went away, I'm sure it'll come back but i'm hoping I can progress while it's gone. Feel like I can do anything for the first time in ages.....

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

I know what you mean dublin101..If I had a penny for every "new start" I would be loaded haha....Yesterday I got over my little hurdles...I walked round town on my own yesterday and went into a pub alone as I want to start getting out again. I had a great day and felt extremely proud of myself that I didnt let being on my own stop me from living a life I want. I woke up this morning dreading work but said here goes....dad came in and guilt tripped me about not going up to see my grandad in hospital implying that I do not care and the fact that my cousins came all the way over from england to see him and told me to go up on sunday. My cousines came over for a paddys day piss up they didnt spend the day in the hospital there is photographic evidence of this on fb. I stayed quiet to avoid an argument and just agreed with him. If I explained the truth he would have snapped my neck off. My anxiety angers him deeply and causes him to attack my character quite venomously. If I was allowed to speak I would have explained that I had indeed planned to visit on Wednesday night after giving my neighbour a lift to her meeting. I felt very tired and I do not like driving when I am tired in case it triggers me so I decided after I dropped her off it would be best to leave it until I felt a little less tired another evening after work soon. Im right back to my low point again and I want to leave this job I dont think my mental health will improve staying here. He is starting to pressure me to do things and I know I cant push myself too far I know my own limits. Yesterday my daughter was in town enjoying the day with her friends so I had to stay close to town for when I was bringing her home. The hospital is in the next town so I would have been a bag of nerves leaving her in town while I went to the next town and I wasnt sure what the traffic arragnments where due to the parades in the next town. My child is my responsibilty so that took precedent yesterday unfortunately. I only had one drink and was in the pub for only a half hour just to say I did something instead of moping about the house ( as dad says I do). My grandad has been on my mind a lot and of course I want to go up its finding the right evening. My child has arrnaged the cinema tonight and I have work sat so sunday will be a good option to go up to see him. I just want to go home now had such a nice day yest thought I was getting my strength back but unfortuntaely this morning was like the whole of last week being attacked.

Oh Hugo this is so damaging for your mental health :( It's really crap being in a working environment that you hate. Leaving is a big decision. So many what ifs involved and of course the financial implications.

If you feel that there is nothing which you can do to make your current role easier than I would seriously consider walking away. No job is worth that level of unhappiness.

• Advertisement

carzony wrote: »
    Well for the first time tonight, In almost a year, I actually venture outside my comfort zone in a huge way. I seen a program about agrophobia, how to cure it and before I knew it I was out and about with no probelms whatsoever. I was even able to get about 2 miles from my home on foot :) I conquered a long, straight road which I was even scared to look at last week.

The fear just went away, I'm sure it'll come back but i'm hoping I can progress while it's gone. Feel like I can do anything for the first time in ages.....

Probably the best news I have heard in a while. It's so nice to read that. Well done you.

Advertisement