Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

In a heap today. Everything around me is lovely which is just making it feel worse. Like i am selfish for feeling bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

In a heap today. Everything around me is lovely which is just making it feel worse. Like i am selfish for feeling bad.

*hugs* Sorry to hear that, Grem. :(

You're not selfish at all. That's just how our heads mess with us. Like it's a survival mechanism for the bad thoughts to continue.

Hope things ease off for you there soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

It's not selfish. I'm sure you'd prefer not to be feeling that way, right?

The nicer and more wonderful the things and people around me are, the worse I feel sometimes. I think it's an inbuilt fear I have of disappointing people and losing things I love.

I'm not good with change, good or bad, which doesn't help either. Even though some changes that I was dreading in the past turned out to be fantastic for me.

jsms88 wrote: »
    It's not selfish. I'm sure you'd prefer not to be feeling that way, right?

The nicer and more wonderful the things and people around me are, the worse I feel sometimes. I think it's an inbuilt fear I have of disappointing people and losing things I love.

I'm not good with change, good or bad, which doesn't help either. Even though some changes that I was dreading in the past turned out to be fantastic for me.

For myself, seeing people being happy can really bum me out. Like there's a lot of resentment as I feel like I'm missing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

For myself, seeing people being happy can really bum me out. Like there's a lot of resentment as I feel like I'm missing out.

I feel the same way sometimes. Like how can they be happy and I cant.

• Advertisement

Shpudnik wrote: »
    I feel the same way sometimes. Like how can they be happy and I cant.

I'm very bitter. All my own fault though. I isolated myself from the world yet I complain about being lonely.

Yea, how come they are able for all the different challenges of life when I find it so difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Saw a comedian performing last weekend that began his set with 'I've been suffering from anxiety and depression for many years' which I thought was incredible. He also asked the crowd if anyone was in therapy, loads of hands shot up and it even got a clap. You could see he was visibly nervous, but I loved his set and he was so open and honest. He got a great reception. It's amazing that there are so many people suffering from this that we may not even realise. We are finally beginning to talk about it and it's amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Saw a comedian performing last weekend that began his set with 'I've been suffering from anxiety and depression for many years' which I thought was incredible. He also asked the crowd if anyone was in therapy, loads of hands shot up and it even got a clap. You could see he was visibly nervous, but I loved his set and he was so open and honest. He got a great reception. It's amazing that there are so many people suffering from this that we may not even realise. We are finally beginning to talk about it and it's amazing.

Lovely post, thanks for sharing! That's the thing with anxiety and depression it can you make you feel very isolated and alone. So even though you wouldn't wish it on another person it is nice to know that you are not the only going through it.

jsms88 wrote: »
    Yea, how come they are able for all the different challenges of life when I find it so difficult.

It's the depression talking. Even though I love to hear other peoples good news, I always find myself saying to myself afterwards, how come there life is so good and how come things come to them so easily when my life is a constant struggle.

Hope you have a good day:)!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,914 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

jsms88 wrote:

I would echo what Can I Come too said.

Also, it's yours/our perception that others are coping well. In reality, one of those who you see coping well could also be reading and posting here. We have no idea what's truly going on in a person's life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭inca2

I would echo what Can I Come too said.

Also, it's yours/our perception that others are coping well. In reality, one of those who you see coping well could also be reading and posting here. We have no idea what's truly going on in a person's life.

Agreed. I recently discovered that many people viewed me as a person who coped well with all of life's challenges, always seemed to be enjoying myself etc. Far from it, and it's not the case for anyone. We ALL fight our own battles day in, day out. Some just put on a better show than others. Social media just fuels this too. How many people do you know who post about the negative aspects of their life? Very few, I'd imagine. We're all struggling, but we'll all get there. The fight can be so worth it.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Yea, I know that you never know what is really going on in people's lives.

But some people really do a great job of appearing like there flying high all the time. Social media definitely doesn't help.

Although, I'd say lots of people think my life is pretty great but they just don't know.

inca2 wrote: »
    Agreed. I recently discovered that many people viewed me as a person who coped well with all of life's challenges, always seemed to be enjoying myself etc. Far from it, and it's not the case for anyone.

So true. The amount of people would say I'm loving life but that's because they only see me at school and not when I'm feeling down.

On the other hand I'm very open on my social media which had gotten me in trouble in the past.

Is hope a dangerous thing?

Is hope a dangerous thing?

No. It's a good thing. It keeps us going until it turns in to belief that things will be better.

No. It's a good thing. It keeps us going until it turns in to belief that things will be better.

I'm on the fence. Like I agree with you there but a part of me feels that having hope just makes the regular tripping up really painful, and that maybe trying to accept and come to peace with this might be less painful in the long-term.

I'm sorry. I'm just very funky lately. I really hope my recent posts aren't offensive or anything.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hope is a broad word, sometimes we go to work or bed or wherever thinking we are pretty ok only for it to go sour, other times we are managing to be somewhat positive, thing is - we all differ hugely, we just try to do what we are individually capable of at the time..

Why can things go from being so good to crashing down so fast?

I'm sorry. I'm just very funky lately. I really hope my recent posts aren't offensive or anything.

Never offensive Hugo.
    Hopefully (that word again) your low period will come to an end soon.

• Advertisement

Shpudnik wrote: »
    Why can things go from being so good to crashing down so fast?

I have no real answer for that other than it really just does.. For all of us, i've woken up wanting some popcorn i'm so happy, only to want to sit on a rock on my own minutes later. That's why, for me, i keep in touch with others when i can

Absolutely no motivation to do anything today. I wish I could just hide away from the world.

Hope is a broad word, sometimes we go to work or bed or wherever thinking we are pretty ok only for it to go sour, other times we are managing to be somewhat positive, thing is - we all differ hugely, we just try to do what we are individually capable of at the time..

Very well put. I suppose we should really just live in the moment and try make it work. Worrying about the future never gets us anywhere. :)

Never offensive Hugo.
    Hopefully (that word again) your low period will come to an end soon.

Thanks, TMH. Feeling pretty good at the moment thankfully.

Hopefully ye all are doing well at the moment. :)

I worry far too much about other people think and it only wrecks my own head and adds to my A&D. But I am thankfully slowly beginning to realize that what people think, have or do is none of my business and vice versa. I am responsible for my own life and happiness and if people don't like it or approve, it is their own tough titties:D!

Hope.. Myself and hope have a bit of love hate relationship and it has been both a blessing and a curse. But I'm a 35 year old single parent so I am as well to stick with it as to have nothing else.

We all have a cross of some sort to carry in life, so just because someone looks to be happy and have it all doesn't mean they are, looks can and are very deceiving. We deserve to be happy and hopefully :) one day we will be.
    Wishing everyone a great day! And as Winston Churchill once said:

"If you are going to hell, keep going."

:):):):):):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I worry far too much about other people think and it only wrecks my own head and adds to my A&D. But I am thankfully slowly beginning to realize that what people think, have or do is none of my business and vice versa. I am responsible for my own life and happiness and if people don't like it or approve, it is their own tough titties:D!

Hope.. Myself and hope have a bit of love hate relationship and it has been both a blessing and a curse. But I'm a 35 year old single parent so I am as well to stick with it as to have nothing else.

We all have a cross of some sort to carry in life, so just because someone looks to be happy and have it all doesn't mean they are, looks can and are very deceiving. We deserve to be happy and hopefully :) one day we will be.
    Wishing everyone a great day! And as Winston Churchill once said:

"If you are going to hell, keep going."

:):):):):):):):)

Well said Can I come Too :)

Appearances can be so very deceptive , and the ones we think that have it all together and are happy , are often the ones who are falling apart internally ..

Stay safe all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

Can I come too....

Thank you for such a positive post, its given me bit of a lift!

Proper downer from the effects of painkillers tonight. I wish I could stop taking them but the consequences would be worse. I wish I had a doctor that listened.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 crispycrisps

I cried myself asleep last night, just burst out crying for no specific reason when I got into bed.

I feel completely hopeless lately and feel like I have nothing to live for. That I just exist.

And I'm exhausted. Even getting out of bed and dressed is a struggle

• Advertisement

Shpudnik wrote:
    I wish I had a doctor that listened.

What do they say when you talk to them? They are the professionals, it can be difficult but they need to be listened to or its a very slippery slope down hill.

Advertisement