Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hope you manage to shake it off too. Or sleep it off. Whatever works eh?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Hope you manage to shake it off too. Or sleep it off. Whatever works eh?.

Exactly. :)
    I should really be hitting the hay soon but I'm fighting it like a cranky toddler.

I bought a DBT book on Amazon about two years or more ago. Finally dusted it off the other day. It can't hurt to give it a try, right?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Not at all Hugo, it's hard and you have to keep at it much more than you'd think but it can help, even if it only distracts. I hope you sleep well, don't be fighting it, you'll be more upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

Not a great night here unfortunately. Mind has been racing for the last few hours. Been thinking about everyone that I've lost, ones that I'm currently losing, and about the future. Thinking about all of my faults and how they seem impossible to overcome but also impossible to accept.

Sorry to hear you guys have had a rough night. I hope ye are asleep and calm right now.

I'm awake early.... my mind is not being my friend this morning. Running over mistakes I've made in the past. Worrying about bad things that could happen in the future. I don't know why these feelings are back all of a sudden.... I've had a few great weeks.

Heyo Jsm, yeah rough kinda night here, not much looking forward to the day ahead. I am relatively calm but i can't help thinking what will go wrong next (it's never something that could go right) Some sleep and some minding myself is all i'll be doing today i hope..
    I hear you on the ruminating over mistakes, when i'm down i often find myself using past mistakes to dig myself deeper into the blackness. DBT (dialectical behavioural therapy) helped but it needs to be used constantly to be any good at it..

• Advertisement

Heyo Jsm, yeah rough kinda night here, not much looking forward to the day ahead. I am relatively calm but i can't help thinking what will go wrong next (it's never something that could go right) Some sleep and some minding myself is all i'll be doing today i hope..
    I hear you on the ruminating over mistakes, when i'm down i often find myself using past mistakes to dig myself deeper into the blackness. DBT (dialectical behavioural therapy) helped but it needs to be used constantly to be any good at it..

Sorry for my ignorance...., what is Dialectical Behaviour Therapy? How does it work?

Like cognitive behavioural therapy, it aims to teach various ways of handling all the feelings and stuff that can happen when you are anxious or depressed, like not judging your thoughts, letting them pass through you without letting them have massive impact.. I did group and individual therapy for a year with HSE. It may not be for everyone but i do think there's good lessons there. It uses mindfulness quite a bit which i was initially sceptical of but while it's not by any means a cure, it certainly helps at times. Hope that helps.

Like cognitive behavioural therapy, it aims to teach various ways of handling all the feelings and stuff that can happen when you are anxious or depressed, like not judging your thoughts, letting them pass through you without letting them have massive impact.. I did group and individual therapy for a year with HSE. It may not be for everyone but i do think there's good lessons there. It uses mindfulness quite a bit which i was initially sceptical of but while it's not by any means a cure, it certainly helps at times. Hope that helps.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not too sure about the mindfulness thing... I'm not good at the whole close your eyes and breathe deeply stuff :-P

jsms88 wrote: »
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm not too sure about the mindfulness thing... I'm not good at the whole close your eyes and breathe deeply stuff :-P

Hahahaha i was of the exact same opinion, think i referred to it in the first group as hippy dippy nonsense but that reflection stuff is barely done at all.

Trying to keep a positive mindset for the rest of the week.

Hope things are going well for you all there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

Hope everyone is having a good daysmile.png. My Anxiety is through the roof today. Had a job interview this morning so didn't sleep very well last night, thenhad a nose bleed this morning with all the worry, then drove the wrong way in the bloody car park of the place, but at least I was on time, about 15 mins too early which I don't know is good thing or a bad thing. But I am really glad I went.
    The woman who interviewed me was lovely and although the role I applied for is not suitable, she is going to consider me for another smaller part time role which will really make a positive difference to our lives. I don't know I just wish I could catch a break. Its days like this I get really mad at my sons dad for not helping us, although I know deep down I'm better off without his input. Have already been for a walk, but its one of those day where I could nearly walk the entire country in pure frustration.
    Anyway I think I just needed to rant and again hope everyone is having a good day and if you are please feel to send some of the goodness my way sharing is caring and allbiggrin.png!

I hate being so needy. Seems to be an impossible mindset to break out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

Sitting in a restaurant at the moment. I'm alone. I get the feeling that everybody's looking at me. Don't like public places like this.

Shpudnik wrote: »
    Sitting in a restaurant at the moment. I'm alone. I get the feeling that everybody's looking at me. Don't like public places like this.

It's very easy to feel that, Shpud. Most likely nobody is looking apart from just the usual random eye contact.

Hope you enjoy your meal there. :)

I hate being so needy. Seems to be an impossible mindset to break out of.
    I wonder if the being needy is actually the loneliness coming to the surface without actually having to admit that a person is just lonely. I think we often see loneliness as a bigger sign of failure (or there must be something wrong them kinda attitude) where as if we're seen to be needy we kinda get a better response from people around us and in return filling the space the loneliness has left and so we continue to act needy instead of just admitting I am actually a 35 year single parent who is falling apart has no friends who spends most of my days crying and arguing with her family. When the truth is I would really love a hug and to be told I matter as much as everyone else and that everything will be alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I am actually a 35 year single parent who is falling apart has no friends who spends most of my days crying and arguing with her family. When the truth is I would really love a hug and to be told I matter as much as everyone else and that everything will be alright.

Are you receiving treatment Can I come too?

What happens when you try to discuss this with your family?

I wonder if the being needy is actually the loneliness coming to the surface without actually having to admit that a person is just lonely. I think we often see loneliness as a bigger sign of failure (or there must be something wrong them kinda attitude) where as if we're seen to be needy we kinda get a better response from people around us and in return filling the space the loneliness has left and so we continue to act needy instead of just admitting I am actually a 35 year single parent who is falling apart has no friends who spends most of my days crying and arguing with her family. When the truth is I would really love a hug and to be told I matter as much as everyone else and that everything will be alright.

You matter as much as anybody else does. x :)

Are you receiving treatment Can I come too?

What happens when you try to discuss this with your family?

Ya back on my tablets since July. My family know, some care and some don't. I am being a bit hard on myself today if I am honest. its just one of these days.

You matter as much as anybody else does. x :)
    Thank You. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Ya back on my tablets since July. My family know, some care and some don't. I am being a bit hard on myself today if I am honest. its just one of these days.

Well, give the meds time to help.

With respect to your family, focus on the ones that care. Help them to help you. When you're in good form let them see it and share it. Thank them for the support. This will make it easier for them to continue to help you.

Just my 2 cents of course.

• Advertisement

A common thing I notice about people (myself included) who have depression is that they can be brutally hard on themselves but can easily empathise with others. If only we could be so kind to ourselves.
    Thank You. :)

It's true though. We all matter, even if we don't feel like it when we're at our worst.

I am letting the fact I am back on the dole after coming off a Tus scheme get to me today, I have applied for the disability allowance in the hope of being able to maybe work part time and I am still awaiting to hear back from them. I have also been working for work at the same time but none are really suitable. After having good chat with my neighbor I think maybe I should just wait and see if I will be accepted for DA before I look for work and then I won't be worrying about the money side of things.

I worry far too much about what other people think and it justs wrecks my head. Thank very much for caring its much appreciated.:) Hope you are all doing well:).

A common thing I notice about people (myself included) who have depression is that they can be brutally hard on themselves but can easily empathise with others. If only we could be so kind to ourselves.

This very true, Thanks.

I worry far too much about what other people think and it justs wrecks my head. Thank very much for caring its much appreciated.:) Hope you are all doing well:).

I'd imagine most of us worry about others opinions far too much. It'd be great to be able to just not give a F!

It's very easy to feel that, Shpud. Most likely nobody is looking apart from just the usual random eye contact.

Hope you enjoy your meal there. :)

I felt sick with nerves so I left most of it :(

But since then I've had good friends texting me and managed to get a drone flight so I'm feeling pretty good right now.

Shpudnik wrote: »
    I felt sick with nerves so I left most of it :(

But since then I've had good friends texting me and managed to get a drone flight so I'm feeling pretty good right now.

Sorry to hear about the meal.

Fuppin' great to hear about you getting the drone up in the air though! :)

Try get some grub into you later though, even a chipper or something. You need your strength.

Well, give the meds time to help.

With respect to your family, focus on the ones that care. Help them to help you. When you're in good form let them see it and share it. Thank them for the support. This will make it easier for them to continue to help you.

Just my 2 cents of course.
    Thank You. Ya I probably don't let my family see me when I am in good form as I feel I shouldn't be happy. I think too I have just finally realized that I can't please my mother no matter what I do she will never be happy with me. I often joke I have been disappointed to her ever since the midwife said it's a girl:D. I have to start focusing on a future where my mother is in my life but just on the side lines. My son and myself is where my focus needs to be. Thank again for caring it's very much appreciated:)!

Thank You. Ya I probably don't let my family see me when I am in good form as I feel I shouldn't be happy.

I feel the same

You really should let them see you when you're in good form. You both absolutely deserve to be happy.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the support. Feeling a bit better now that I have been able to write stuff here, in the real world I sort of have to pretend very thing is rosy with my mother, so it has been nice to say it isn't. We were really close for a bit but she never lets go of anything you do wrong and always holds it against you. Shes had her own problems to be fair, but for some reason out of all her kids she blames them on me and I am tired. From tomorrow on I will try and be more positive, Thank God for my son hes been a god send, although I wouldn't blame him if he goes running out the door once hes 18. Thanks again everyone.:)

Advertisement