Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Same to you all of you, and one of us is always around for a chat/rant/vent if needed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Don't forget about yourself. I hope the week is kind to you also:)!

Thanks, C! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

Well I had a **** day. Got people who want to make my life hell and no matter how hard I try I let them. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

People can really get in your head, it is awful and bloody annoying that it keeps happening even when you see it coming.. It won't always work though.. You need the right tools to protect and defend your mind and feelings, sometimes experience helps, sometimes therapy. Rant away if you need..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

I hope that the week ahead will be kind to you all. :)

Thanks! Same to you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

So incredibly sad. Tears won't stop.

La.de.da wrote: »

So sorry to hear that. :(

What's up?

Oh La, anything behind it?. Had an awful week or so of it myself, that weird empty, husk like feeling. *Hugs* I hope it lifts soon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Just change is a foot. Finding it hard to come to terms with.

It'll take time to get the aul head around it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

La.de.da wrote:

Change can be a good thing. Hopefully this will be the case.
    Give it time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'm really struggling for motivation at the moment which is brought on by feeling inadequate.

I'm afraid to do anything because I've convinced myself I won't be happy with the outcome. So I find myself doing nothing and then getting depressed about how much time I'm wasting so I decide I want to do something but then I go back to thinking I'll do it badly and don't do it.

It's an endless loop at the moment. I have a decent bit work to do but I put it off for a week so I would have less time to worry about it once I started.

I'm really struggling for motivation at the moment which is brought on by feeling inadequate.

I'm afraid to do anything because I've convinced myself I won't be happy with the outcome. So I find myself doing nothing and then getting depressed about how much time I'm wasting so I decide I want to do something but then I go back to thinking I'll do it badly and don't do it.

It's an endless loop at the moment. I have a decent bit work to do but I put it off for a week so I would have less time to worry about it once I started.

*bro-hugs*

I could have written that myself.

Hang on in there, my friend. Sometimes the motivation will just strike when you least expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

It'll take time to get the aul head around it.

Hi La.de.La

I'm also going through a period of change, It's hard to get head around it.

But we will get through it and come out the other side stronger and wiser

I'm really struggling for motivation at the moment

I've been feeling really anxious this evening. Very fatalistic too... looking around at all the everyday things we do wondering what the point of them is. So many of them are so small and pointless in the long term. Everyday things like watching a to show, caring about a sports event, etc. It's not a healthy way to think I know but it comes on me sometimes and drags me down.

Ruminating like a mad bastard here at the moment.

Is it a reasonable thought to accept that I'll never be "cured", to accept that this will always be that exists in my head to varying degrees forever? Like maybe that wanting to be "cured" so badly is actually doing more harm than just accepting it outright.

Is it a reasonable thought to accept that I'll never be "cured", to accept that this will always be that exists in my head to varying degrees forever?

I often wonder the same and it makes me more upset but I suppose everyone has their problems. I always think that the worst thing anyone can do is think they're the only one suffering. Nobody really lives the textbook perfect life that we're expected to live.

jsms88 wrote: »
    I often wonder the same and it makes me more upset

It usually drives my depression deeper but I'm wondering if I need to make myself accept acceptance. Absolute mindfûck whichever way it seems.

It usually drives my depression deeper but I'm wondering if I need to make myself accept acceptance. Absolute mindfûck whichever way it seems.

Do you have a therapist you can tease this out with Hugo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Ruminating like a mad bastard here at the moment.

Is it a reasonable thought to accept that I'll never be "cured", to accept that this will always be that exists in my head to varying degrees forever? Like maybe that wanting to be "cured" so badly is actually doing more harm than just accepting it outright.

Have been doing the same, for the last few days. After a lot of thoughts, acceptance of some of them has calmed me down.
    The issue with someone trying to "cure " me, is that it's not a one size fits all cure. What works for you, may not for me. I am very hesitant to any changes, the slightest problem is exaggerated in my head.

To answer your question, don't think I'll ever be "cured", but some acceptance from me, has eased my mind.

Do you have a therapist you can tease this out with Hugo?

Not at the moment. Just attending a psychiatrist.

I'm always very slow about seeking out the help of a counsellor but it has always helped me before. I think I might need to again.
    trixiebust wrote: »
    Have been doing the same, for the last few days. After a lot of thoughts, acceptance of some of them has calmed me down.
    The issue with someone trying to "cure " me, is that it's not a one size fits all cure. What works for you, may not for me. I am very hesitant to any changes, the slightest problem is exaggerated in my head.

To answer your question, don't think I'll ever be "cured", but some acceptance from me, has eased my mind.

Yeah, it might be the case that some form of acceptance of all this is the only way forward.

• Advertisement

Really struggling with depression this evening :(

Not at the moment. Just attending a psychiatrist.

I'm always very slow about seeking out the help of a counsellor but it has always helped me before. I think I might need to again.

Yeah, it might be the case that some form of acceptance of all this is the only way forward.

From reading your posts Hugo it seems like long term therapy is what you need. I attended a psychologist in my twenties and then four years of consistent psychotherapy in my thirties.

If you want to experience a change then you must seek help.

I'm still struggling to catch up with myself after a nasty run in with an unpleasant person on monday.. Luckily i've received many supportive messages though..

Shpudnik wrote: »

Sorry to hear that Shpudnik. Can you distract yourself in some way?

Sorry to hear that Shpudnik. Can you distract yourself in some way?

Doing homework and listening to music isn't helping :(

Shpudnik wrote: »

Hope things improve there soon, Shpud.
    From reading your posts Hugo it seems like long term therapy is what you need. I attended a psychologist in my twenties and then four years of consistent psychotherapy in my thirties.

If you want to experience a change then you must seek help.

Yeah, there's no denying it.

I absolutely hate talking about this stuff in real life. The fear of crying when opening up is huge as there's a strong possibility of that happening judging from past experience. It'll have to happen regardless of tears though.

There's also a lot of personality related stuff and other distressing things that I don't post about on here to tackle. I fear that my original diagnosis of clinical depression might be wrong altogether. I've tried enquiring about this on several occasions with the various psychiatric clinics, but they all tend to dismiss me without really asking me anything. Not sure how else to go about finding out.

Hope things improve there soon, Shpud.

Yeah, there's no denying it.

I absolutely hate talking about this stuff in real life. The fear of crying when opening up is huge as there's a strong possibility of that happening judging from past experience. It'll have to happen regardless of tears though.

There's also a lot of personality related stuff and other distressing things that I don't post about on here to tackle. I fear that my original diagnosis of clinical depression might be wrong altogether. I've tried enquiring about this on several occasions with the various psychiatric clinics, but they all tend to dismiss me without really asking me anything. Not sure how else to go about finding out.

I understand that fear Hugo. It's scary to expose ourselves in such a way. The thing about crying is that it shifts something. There's an energy in it. It I'd far better than feeling numb. The right professional will understand that and you'll feel safe enough to let it all out.

As for the psychiatric clinics have you pressed for a formal diagnosis? What I would do is pay to see one in a private capacity. Not cheap but if you were trying to get to the bottom of something physical you wouldn't wait around. It will be money well spent.

I understand that fear Hugo. It's scary to expose ourselves in such a way. The thing about crying is that it shifts something. There's an energy in it. It I'd far better than feeling numb. The right professional will understand that and you'll feel safe enough to let it all out.

As for the psychiatric clinics have you pressed for a formal diagnosis? What I would do is pay to see one in a private capacity. Not cheap but if you were trying to get to the bottom of something physical you wouldn't wait around. It will be money well spent.

Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by a formal diagnosis? :o

Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by a formal diagnosis? :o

An assesment will be made by a psychiatrist to see if there is something going on other than clinical depression.
    But. Remember that you are not a label. You are a person :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Do you ever feel like your time here is slowly coming to an end?

Was out tonight on a "stag" and I'm just unsure if I can do it anymore. I mean, if I'm not out then I want to be out, but if I'm out then I just want to be at home hiding myself away. I feel like I'm never ever going to be who I want to be and frankly that's just not good enough for me anymore. I just don't know what to do.

Advertisement