Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dublinman101

Has anyone done group therapy for depression/anxiety other than Aware or Grow. Where would I find such a group in Dublin. If you aren't allowed post it maybe you could pm me. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Has anyone done group therapy for depression/anxiety other than Aware or Grow. Where would I find such a group in Dublin. If you aren't allowed post it maybe you could pm me. Thanks.

I did group therapy but it was through the hse psych services. I think I was waiting a few months for it. Group therapy is tough though. I dont think I could do it again. Have you tried cbt? I know you said previously that you have tried counselling but cbt is very much focused on your needs and goals. It worked very well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

I have done the aware one before, maybe the hse might have a list of groups therapies around your area. Sorry if the aware group has been discussed previously but I found it really enjoyable and fun as well if anyone on here was thinking about going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Hi guys, first time poster in this thread. I have been on anti depressants on and off for the past 3 years. Each time I've had to stop due to side effects such as restless legs, and extreme drowsiness. However, it has since become apparent that I have a sensitivity to serotonin and can no longer take anti depressants. There is only one on the market which does not effect serotonin, but it costs approx €120 per month and requires fort-nightly blood tests, I cannot afford this. I believe my doctor has referred to my symptoms as 'serotonin syndrome'. My legs are constantly restless, and my hand shakes randomly, and I keep jumping at my desk in work and in my sleep. It's quite disappointing as I've had to stop taking the antidepressant. I am two days off them now. Has anyone else experienced this? I wouldn't mind but I was on a very low dosage, 75.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hey there Heat Wave, have to say I haven't heard of it, cant be easy hearing that news.. I'd say some careful research is needed.. I wonder would you consider applying for a medical card?. They can be issued in mitigating circumstances, anyway welcome to the thread, Grem..

• Advertisement

Yah like Grem said check out the medical card. You include a list of the medication costs etc when making the application. Thats a lot of money to be paying out every month. Also check if the medication is covered by a medical card, there are a few that aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Hey there Heat Wave, have to say I haven't heard of it, cant be easy hearing that news.. I'd say some careful research is needed.. I wonder would you consider applying for a medical card?. They can be issued in mitigating circumstances, anyway welcome to the thread, Grem..

Thanks Grem. I did not think I would be applicable for a medical card. I will look into this, sound advice.

Would love to know if anyone else has experienced restlessness or 'shakes' whilst on anti-depressants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

carzony wrote: »
    Well for the first time tonight, In almost a year, I actually venture outside my comfort zone in a huge way. I seen a program about agrophobia, how to cure it and before I knew it I was out and about with no probelms whatsoever. I was even able to get about 2 miles from my home on foot :) I conquered a long, straight road which I was even scared to look at last week.

The fear just went away, I'm sure it'll come back but i'm hoping I can progress while it's gone. Feel like I can do anything for the first time in ages.....
    Delighted to hear this. I hope things improve for you soon :)
    Heat_Wave wrote: »
    Hi guys, first time poster in this thread. I have been on anti depressants on and off for the past 3 years. Each time I've had to stop due to side effects such as restless legs, and extreme drowsiness. However, it has since become apparent that I have a sensitivity to serotonin and can no longer take anti depressants. There is only one on the market which does not effect serotonin, but it costs approx €120 per month and requires fort-nightly blood tests, I cannot afford this. I believe my doctor has referred to my symptoms as 'serotonin syndrome'. My legs are constantly restless, and my hand shakes randomly, and I keep jumping at my desk in work and in my sleep. It's quite disappointing as I've had to stop taking the antidepressant. I am two days off them now. Has anyone else experienced this? I wouldn't mind but I was on a very low dosage, 75.
    Hi, sorry to hear this. Do you mean you were on a dosage of 75mg? I wouldn't have thought that to be a low dosage at all. I am on 30mg of Cymbalta which is quite a low dose (or so I am told anyway).

I hope you can get some help soon, and things improve for you.

My mood has plummeted tonight. All this talk of sunny weather, brighter evenings, etc has me in a tizzy. I hate the summer time and the sun. There are no words to describe how much I can't stand it.

Everyone is saying "oh isn't it great" etc and I'm like "yeah, fab, nice for a change" but inside I am dreading it and wishing it was Autumn/Winter again.

If I say to anyone that I dislike the brighter weather/sun they look at me funny and ask why, they struggle to understand that I don't like it. I had one person ask me what was wrong with me because I dislike it, not thinking that maybe I just, y'know, have different feelings to others on it.

My mood has plummeted tonight. All this talk of sunny weather, brighter evenings, etc has me in a tizzy. I hate the summer time and the sun. There are no words to describe how much I can't stand it.

Everyone is saying "oh isn't it great" etc and I'm like "yeah, fab, nice for a change" but inside I am dreading it and wishing it was Autumn/Winter again.

If I say to anyone that I dislike the brighter weather/sun they look at me funny and ask why, they struggle to understand that I don't like it. I had one person ask me what was wrong with me because I dislike it, not thinking that maybe I just, y'know, have different feelings to others on it.

Nowadays I kinds enjoy the sunny weather. For years I didn't like it. I hated wearing sunscreen and feeling all sweaty. The sunny weather brings out the jealousy in me. I usually avoid doing my usual activities because everyone seems to be having fun whereas I'm just on my own. I also don't like wearing summer clothes so seeing others wearing shorts and skimpy tops reminds me how fat I am. I do like sitting out in the garden and just reading. I'm looking forward to that.

And let's not forget, this is Ireland after all and the brighter weather will be gone in no time. :)

I have to say Irish people, or maybe just people in general, can be very narrow minded. It's almost like you're strange if you have a different opinion on anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Ok so I am kind of avoidin this thread at the min in case it triggers something. Sorry.

Just an update. My OH has been in his course almost a month now. I'm gettin up on the morning's and keepon the kids fed and happy. Still haven't quite managed to get all the house work done too and some days oh has to cook. But I'm getting there.

After 7 yrs of fighting depression, anxiety disorders and having oh with me full time to support me through one of the hardest times of my adult life... things are actually going ok.

Hopefully I can keep pushing through. Hope everyone else is ok. Sorry I'm not reading or replying. I'm very nervous and weary of this state of mind. I'm afraid if I trigger anythin I won't be able to cope. Maybe it's not true but I'm being safe rather than sorry. For now staying busy and kind of positive/neutral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭via4

Sounds like your doing great trixychic! And with regards housework sometimes it's best to say sod it I'm takin it easy today or getting away from it altogether haha....bridgetton I hear you guys on the sunny weather debate....I like seeing it but then I find it hard cos i get a pang of sadness when I see people online getting together having barbecues having a ball and my heart just breaks and I spent every weekend of the summer in bed last year I found it tough going. Towards the end I got up n went to my parents house where I sat there listening to my family planning a day out in Dublin and I wasn't invited I was told to pick up the kids while they got their day out. I ran out of the house n just broke down being ignored and left out breaks me down emotionally. Last week my father defended my families actions and said I took it out of context. But they did what they did and they know how lonely I am they didn't need to stick the knife in. I didn't go up for months after that to which my father gave out to me about that but I don't like being treated this way so if I can avoid a situation like this I will in order to try n have a happy life. He actually gave out to me bcos I felt lonely on Mother's Day, I'm a single parent and it's hard seeing everyone getting spoils by their partners but I wasn't allowed to feel a little down. This year I want to improve my summer by getting a bike and going on cycles for a change in the evenings. I find when I wear nice clothes it gives me a little confidence boost so I'm planning on improving my appearance. Anything to make me a little stronger. Welcome heatwave! Defo try the medical card option hopefully you can get that medication you need cos that's a lot of money indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

So I had an argument with my oh and a death in the family that brought me down and flared up my gad for a few weeks. Had some hypnosis last week and a prescription of Valium till things even out and since yesterday I've seen a definite improvement. However I notice the morning times are worse. Has anybody found that the morning anxiety is the last to go when your on the mend???? Please no negative comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Juxtapose

lukesmom wrote: »
    So I had an argument with my oh and a death in the family that brought me down and flared up my gad for a few weeks. Had some hypnosis last week and a prescription of Valium till things even out and since yesterday I've seen a definite improvement. However I notice the morning times are worse. Has anybody found that the morning anxiety is the last to go when your on the mend???? Please no negative comments

Morning anxiety is what has been holding me down for the past few months. I usually feel okay in the evenings, on top of things, then the mornings i have to build it all back up again which can be really difficult.

I've found that having the smallest of tasks to complete really helps. Like folding clothes or letting the dog out the back. I try to do some meditation which helps too, but sometimes the mornings just suck.

Hopefully they get better as i feel i've turned a new corner, we just need to conquer the morning times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Oh Hugo this is so damaging for your mental health :( It's really crap being in a working environment that you hate. Leaving is a big decision. So many what ifs involved and of course the financial implications.

If you feel that there is nothing which you can do to make your current role easier than I would seriously consider walking away. No job is worth that level of unhappiness.

Thanks for the kind words there, P. x :)
    I hear what you are saying, and I totally agree.

I need to fight this though. I've ran from every challenge I've ever faced. I need to beat this.

The money is good, and the job itself is probably the best I'll ever be able to get with my meagre qualification. I'm hoping that once I get through the training phase, that things will get better.

I turned 30 during the summer. I need to establish some sort of life for myself. I feel there's huge societal pressure for this.

I've begun seeing a counsellor recently, so I hope that will help me out.

Thanks for the kind words there, P. x :)
    I hear what you are saying, and I totally agree.

I need to fight this though. I've ran from every challenge I've ever faced. I need to beat this.

And beat it you will :) x

And beat it you will :) x

Thanks, P. Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Been out and about for the last few days, I have even challenged myself by walking in crowded areas and places I know are usually gonna set me off. Agorophobia completely gone thank god, Just shows me how much I have been missing even in the short time i've been stuck in the house.

As far as I know the Beta Blockers are only to prevent cardiac events?, If true this means it's mostly me, in my normal function. The pills have defo taken the edge off though :)

carzony wrote: »
    Been out and about for the last few days, I have even challenged myself by walking in crowded areas and places I know are usually gonna set me off. Agorophobia completely gone thank god, Just shows me how much I have been missing even in the short time i've been stuck in the house.

As far as I know the Beta Blockers are only to prevent cardiac events?, If true this means it's mostly me, in my normal function. The pills have defo taken the edge off though :)

Delighted to hear it! Onwards and upwards! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Adventure time. Have to go away to foreign lands for seven days for work/training. This is nervous-making. I have not travelled on my own before. I think the newness and busy-ness will keep me going well enough. I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Juxtapose

mickstupp wrote: »
    Adventure time. Have to go away to foreign lands for seven days for work/training. This is nervous-making. I have not travelled on my own before. I think the newness and busy-ness will keep me going well enough. I hope.

Definitely. Travelling solo can be daunting. I know from my own experiences that viewing it in smaller stages definitely helped. Just concentrate on the present all the time, what you need, how to get to the airport etc. Be prepared and you'll feel ready. Once you step foot on that plane it will all come naturally.

Best of luck on your trip :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Tonight is my first night at home since I was admitted to hospital a month ago. It's so different to previous admissions where I was begging them to let me home for a night or a weekend or for good, way too early! This time, I was happily allowing myself to become institutionalised. It felt safer there. But it's time to start coping with the real world and my real life again.

I had a bit of a meltdown last night and talked to once of the nurses about it. I guess it helped.

Anyways I'm home now and actually feeling ok about it, although I said last night I probably wouldn't feel up to it today. I'm glad I did it. Pottering around now and getting some jobs done etc.

I've started applying for jobs etc, got a couple of things in the pipeline. Can't wait to be back to work again. Don't care what the job is or what the money is like. Just so long as I have my independence back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Welcome back Lady, been quiet here myself of late due to some unfortunate events around me but getting through. Hope all here are doing as well as they can. Grem

I am safely where I needed to get to. 10 hours travelling. Somewhere in the middle of Germany. An obscenely happy hostel receptionist. Warm though. Drinking tea and eating snickers.

I did however get on one wrong bus and two wrong trains... but I did not meltdown.

Always bring one of those portable battery packs for the phone guys. Lifesaver for accessing maps on the move.

Take care everyone. Sleep well everyone.

Nice one Mick, i would be seriously rattled if i got on the wrong bus or train, fair play for managing that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I'm so sad all the time. :(

Hey Norwegian, it's been a while i think? Are you long in a low period?. I had a very rough week with a few more nasty things to go but I'm calling myself lucky because of the support of my partner and friends.

I've been feeling like that too, for a while. It has helped to talk to some of my friends. But also to try and get back into old interests. I know 'your mileage may vary', but most of my time is spent distracting myself from my own head... or else letting other people into it.

Sorry to hear that, NW.

We're all here to talk this out with you if you want to.

mickstupp wrote: »
    I've been feeling like that too, for a while. It has helped to talk to some of my friends. But also to try and get back into old interests. I know 'your mileage may vary', but most of my time is spent distracting myself from my own head... or else letting other people into it.

So true, Mick.

• Advertisement

What do other people do to fill their days? Sometimes I ask myself is this it, is this all there is to life. I'm not down but I'm just blah. What am I missing?

Advertisement