Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

snowflaker wrote: »
    I was so on edge today- but got through it!

Well done. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Well we all got through monday in one piece, nice :)

Well we all got through monday in one piece, nice :)

It was touch and go earlier but I somehow pulled myself out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I just had to go back to sharing a few months ago. I found facebook groups easier to work with as i got a better feel for the type of house/flat..
    I began by avoiding phrases like easy-going or ads with a lot of 'no' words.

Ah. I'm not on Facebook, can't face joining it.
    I'll take your tips on for the search on daft.

Anyone know where else I should be looking for rooms to share for a non student male?

Everyone seems to want a student female, which is incredibly frustrating, and keeps my mind going a mile a second as I'm looking.

Question for ye, if that's OK.

Are any of ye attending a private psychiatrist? I'm attending a public one but I'm thinking about switching over. I'm not sure how expensive it would be though.

• Advertisement

Are any of ye attending a private psychiatrist? I'm attending a public one but I'm thinking about switching over. I'm not sure how expensive it would be though.

As far as I know there aren't many in private practice. What you could do is get a referral from your GP to be seen privately in a hospital or clinic. Psychiatrists don't tend to see clients on a weekly basis for long term therapy, as far as I know. I'm open to correction on that.

As far as I know there aren't many in private practice. What you could do is get a referral from your GP to be seen privately in a hospital or clinic. Psychiatrists don't tend to see clients on a weekly basis for long term therapy, as far as I know. I'm open to correction on that.

I usually have periods of 3 to 6 months in between my current appointments, so that wouldn't be an issue.

I might have a word with my GP next time I'm out there.

Like you said, there might not be any private ones around. Might not be any difference either.

Thanks, P. x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I'll be going to one next month (Dean Clinic). I work for a health insurance company so nearly all of it is covered. I've been attending a public one as well for the last 4 years but GP wants me to try this out, as public, I tend to get a different psychiatrist a lot of the time

titan18 wrote: »
    I'll be going to one next month (Dean Clinic). I work for a health insurance company so nearly all of it is covered. I've been attending a public one as well for the last 4 years but GP wants me to try this out, as public, I tend to get a different psychiatrist a lot of the time

Nice to have the majority of it covered! Hope you get on good with it, T. :)

That's the main reason I was thinking about going private. Some of the doctors are great, some dismissive. Often the bulk of the meeting is just talking them through my file instead of addressing the immediate concerns. Maybe I expect too much n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

What a ****e evening for me :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

I hope everyone got through the day ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Nice to have the majority of it covered! Hope you get on good with it, T. :)

That's the main reason I was thinking about going private. Some of the doctors are great, some dismissive. Often the bulk of the meeting is just talking them through my file instead of addressing the immediate concerns. Maybe I expect too much n

Ya, that's what mine are like. Bar the 1st year, I'd say most of the time I'd get a different psychiatrist each time. They seem to have a pretty decent turnover in public hospitals

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Rough night. Didn't even feel like posting which is unlike me since i like to complain and whinge.. A lot of physical pain too. I just can't bring myself to care at all.

titan18 wrote: »
    Ya, that's what mine are like. Bar the 1st year, I'd say most of the time I'd get a different psychiatrist each time. They seem to have a pretty decent turnover in public hospitals

Same here, usually see a reg and they rotate departments every six months so no relationship can be built. I find it very disheartening

No matter how hard I try things always seem to to go wrong. Getting loads of help but at the same time I get no help if that makes sense.

Rough night. Didn't even feel like posting which is unlike me since i like to complain and whinge.. A lot of physical pain too. I just can't bring myself to care at all.

Really hope things have improved there since you poster that, Grem.
    Same here, usually see a reg and they rotate departments every six months so no relationship can be built. I find it very disheartening

It really can be. Some of them are great, but others can be rather dismissive unfortunately.
    Shpudnik wrote: »
    No matter how hard I try things always seem to to go wrong. Getting loads of help but at the same time I get no help if that makes sense.

Keep up the good fight, Shpud. We can't leave this stuff beat us.

I feel like such a waste :(

• Registered Users Posts: 39 crispycrisps

So I'm on lexapro 10mg nearly 3 months now, I feel a lot better emotionally wise but I have become so forgetful and confused, I'm forgetting things I would never forget... I have to take pictures of my work schedule so I know what days I'm working.

I'm struggling at the most basic maths problems and getting my words mixed up, both when I'm speaking and in texts.

I have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks time with my GP, anyone else experience similar thing?

Shpudnik wrote: »
    I feel like such a waste :(

You are the furthest thing from a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Senor Chang

This seems like a good place to rant! So frustrated, I took steps at the start of this year to finally get help. Was on a waiting list for months for a certain place, then finally had an assessment, and was then signed up for some therapy programmes with more waiting lists.

Then, when they tell me there's a place for me on the next programme, it's the first time I hear that everything they offer, programmes, one to one etc, only operate on office hours. I am in my first job out of college and can't ask for all these days off (the programme I was supposed to be on was 3 full working days a week for 5 weeks!).

I had no idea they only did office hours, and now feel stupid for not knowing, but also extremely frustrated they never mentioned it. 9 months later, money down the drain, no help, feeling worse. And now to try and find help somewhere else and start all over. Feeling very disheartened about the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

This seems like a good place to rant! So frustrated, I took steps at the start of this year to finally get help. Was on a waiting list for months for a certain place, then finally had an assessment, and was then signed up for some therapy programmes with more waiting lists.

Then, when they tell me there's a place for me on the next programme, it's the first time I hear that everything they offer, programmes, one to one etc, only operate on office hours. I am in my first job out of college and can't ask for all these days off (the programme I was supposed to be on was 3 full working days a week for 5 weeks!).

I had no idea they only did office hours, and now feel stupid for not knowing, but also extremely frustrated they never mentioned it. 9 months later, money down the drain, no help, feeling worse. And now to try and find help somewhere else and start all over. Feeling very disheartened about the whole thing.

This is a great place to rant.:) Is it possible to speak with a therapist or counsellor over the Internet which may provide times more suited to you, I don't know myself but it might be something to look into.

Sorry to hear that, SC.

Welcome to the thread. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Senor Chang

Yeah I'll definitely look into that thank you! Hopefully it won't take too long to find something suitable and can get started finally on working through stuff.

Thank you for the welcome Hugo!

Pain is really bringing me down. Feel so useless.

Welcome to the thread Senor, yeah i find the services are very much 9-5 with the exception of counselling, i work anti-social hours so i've managed ok but it has been exhausting at times staying up after work for appointments etc. I hope you find something suitable for you soon..

Shpud, not great with pain myself tonight, you have my sympathy because i really is very mentally draining :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

I'm beyond disheartened. Very disillusioned right now.

Saw a new psychologist last week apparently because the one I saw previously was out sick. I went through the same stuff with her, basically from scratch again. I felt like I gave her my life story over the course of the hour.

At the very end, she puts down her pen and turns to me and says: "What do you expect me to do about all this?". Now, I know that's probably a fair question insofar as wanting to know what I hoped to achieve from psychiatry/psychology but the way she said it was so blunt to the point I walked out feeling like she had no intention of helping me.

For the record, my reply was "I don't know. Maybe help me not kill myself."

Maybe I took it the wrong way. I can't speak for everyone else but personally I don't know what I want her to do for me. She can't fix some of the physical issues relating to homelessness etc and she can't hardwire my brain for me but it's strange that the onus was put on me to suggest what I wanted her to do.

Ultimately I walked out feeling far worse than I did when I walked in. I've no doubt a lot of the people working in mental health are wonderful people but in my experience some of the psychologists are not people-persons. I would have thought it was the one profession you need a ton of that skill for.

SMH. Not good. She almost made me feel like I wasn't depressed or sick enough. Not the first time I've felt this way. I presented in A&E before feeling suicidal and was sent home and told to get a good sleep.

Frustrating stuff :(

Ah yes WL, i've been asked that a few times too. And as you say the bedside manner can be pretty woeful at times so it comes across as nearly confrontational. You rightly presume it's a standard kinda question though so i feel sometimes they just recite them without much thought to tone or indeed the hurt they can cause by sounding so dismissive, sorry you had to tolerate that..
    As for the "get a good sleep" suggestion i have nothing to say because it infuriates me, would i be at casualty at all sorts of hours if i could fecking sleep???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm beyond disheartened. Very disillusioned right now.

That's very annoying wonderfullife.

There's a practice in the manufacturing industry (bear with me) called "Fail Early - Fail Often" the logic is that each failure brings you closer to a successful product because you've learned from failing.

It might not directly translate but you've identified that a strong element you need from your Dr's is empathy.

It's Okay to want that. Hopefully your previous Dr will have returned for your next visit. Don't feel you were at fault at the latest appointment. Ye just didn't click.

Doubting every decision I make today :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

As if I didn't already know it, I need to work on dealing with health anxiety. I was in the hospital earlier visiting a family member who had just had a baby today. On walking in I saw a nurse and thought "I better move quickly before they see me and think I'm unwell or something" Then I was in the ward and after a while one of the nurses came to do a few checks on the baby and give my family member an injection or something, all fairly routine it seems. But of course my head was going a bit nuts hoping the nurse wasn't going to check the baby and find something wrong. All I could think of was "I want to get out of here". I felt bad as everyone else seemed so happy and so they should be. I eventually copped on a bit and relaxed a touch but was still worried the nurse would come back and find something wrong.

I don't know how I could ever be a father, even if I somehow met a woman to marry. I'd be a nervous wreck.

Advertisement